Change in editing points

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Change in editing points

Postby shirlig » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:55 pm

UPDATE (November 25):
the first step in the process is complete:
All edits from now are credited with 3 points. The candy is withheld.
In the upcoming days we will reimburse editors who didn't take all the candies with all the missing points. After it's done we will re-enable the candy with the new parameters - 300 points per 3000 edits.
Regarding more gaming stuff for drivers - I informed the product team that there's a huge demand for this and they will check what can be done.

Hi guys,

We wanted to inform you that we're going to make a change in map edit points.
Up until now, each map edit was credited with 1.5 points.
Moreover, for each 500 edits - users were credited with a 750 point achievement candy, i.e additional 1.5 points per edit.
So overall, each edit was worth 3 points.

The change planned is to directly credit each edit with 3 points and cancel the 750 candy.

Why?
1) It seems to make more sense
2) The multi-time achievement is not consistent with other achievements in the client (all achievements are one-time achievements)
3) This achievement specifically is very buggy and many times users don't get their points for the edits.

We might replace this multi-time achievement in the future with a different one-time achievement for editors.

Thanks!
Shirli
shirlig
Waze Team
Waze Team

Re: Change in editing points

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:09 pm

One of the purposes of the candy bonus was to "force" editors to get out and also drive so that Waze benefits from that usage as well. If Waze doesn't feel that's necessary now, then this is fine.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.3.2 | Waze v4.7.0.1
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby iainhouse » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:11 pm

I'm going to speak out against this. I recognise that there's no change in the points earned from editing. However I really liked this element of Waze.

It provides some entertainment value and makes it seem like Waze has a "lighter" side. It also gives a secondary non-tangible reward: my first reward for editing is seeing a badly mapped area cleaned up, but the second is getting those candies the following day.

Finally, you have upset my kids, who like it when the candies appear. Direct quote from the youngest: "No, I want to keep the candies!".

With reference to your reasons given:

2) there should be more achievements that are not one-time achievements
3) if it's buggy fix it , don't get rid of it.

As discussed extensively elsewhere, we should be adding achievements for drivers, rather than removing achievements for editors (yes, I haven't forgotten there's no change in points earned).

Also having taken ages to type (as usual ;) ) I see Alan has commented before me - and I agree with that one as well.
UK Country Administrator
AM: London (DELETED)
Waze 3.7.3 • iPhone 4S (iOS 6.1.3) • Chrome/W7x64
ImageImage
UK WikiWaze FAQWMEFU Script :ugeek:
I want to go to a commune in Vermont and deal with no unit of time shorter than a season
iainhouse
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby Thortok2000 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:13 am

I agree, on the face of it, it seems like a 'simple fix', but I like that it requires that editors actually drive to get those points. I don't really care about point farming myself, I just want an accurate map, (honestly I wish I could disable the candies, it cuts over my Pandora when I'm driving,) but if others are going to be point farmers, the best thing they can do is simply drive the roads and give Waze more data to work with.

So I neither like the candies and the noise they make, nor do I farm for points myself anyway, but I'm still against this change because of the behavior it encourages in point farmers.

Please consider reverting this decision and simply fixing the bug.
ImageImage
Area Manager of Greenville, SC! ^_^
Thortok2000
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby Scruffy151 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:09 am

I have to agree with the earlier post. We need more repeating candies not less.
Scruffy151
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby HandofMadness » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:14 am

The idea that these motivated editors to drive more would seem to conflict with the Wiki page on the points:
"If for some reason you are unable to drive over the candy, don't worry about it. The candy will come back at another location as you continue to drive, or when you use Waze again later. If you do not enable these "Road Goodies" in the Waze client application, you will receive the credits during the next weekly point update."

Seems any editor who intended to only edit and never drive would simply turn them off in the app and get the points at the end of the week.
CM: Thailand CM: USA
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby orbitc » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:32 am

IMHO, this doesn't change anything other than taking away some of the fun for some (but they received those points even without driving anyway).

I think, we should think of a way to reward drivers. Those who used to drive to get bonus points will receive different kind of bonuses as well. Perhaps win win?
Regional Coordinator for Northeast (DE, NJ, NY, PA) & New England (CT, ME, MA, NH, RI, VT)
• ßeta Tester
• iOS ßeta: Always the latest version
• WME ßeta

WME | Mentoring | AM | USA
orbitc
Master Raider
Master Raider

Postby enhket » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:33 am

i hate the fact that waze cancels the candy system because they cant fix it. If that is the trend, fire the infrastructure team ( kidding :lol: ). That aside, i agree with people up there, you should reward drivers more. Waze might host events (halloween event for example) where drivers got to do determined things to get points. Lets say, pumpinks show up on the map when you are driving, and everytime you take 10 of them, you get XX points in the end of the day. People would feel motived to drive more and we would have more data in the segments ;). i cant say i will miss the 750 points candy, i lost the 20% of my total in the last 3-4 months, so welcome to the 3 points per edit!

Finally, i got one question: when you say "cancel", are you implying that the 750 candy wont show up on the map anymore, or the system wont just reward people more? i ask this because i have 50+ candies left, so i would like to know if ill be able to loot them or you will add them to my total.
Christopher C. Enhket
Languages: Español, English, Français, Português.
Coordinator, Beta editor/Editing expert, Campeón.
Communities established: 8
enhket
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby houstonmg » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:59 am

The candies system is entertainment and makes the editor to drive. I do totally agree with not cancelling this, I have more than 120 candies saved and they do not appear when i drive. I hope the decision will be the best, i mean, if the candies disappear those points shall be added to our accounts.
Best regards
MG
Mauricio Gálvez S.
Country Manager, Global Champ
Para iniciar tus ediciones lee este topic.

ImageImageImage
houstonmg
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby meb001 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:00 am

Instead of take off the candies, you should put more candies in the client, we want to invite the people to use waze anytime, well, maybe a good idea could be putting a lot of "candies" in the map, like pacman, not only for the editor... for everybody...
Marcelo Escobar
Chilean Country Manager
Chilean Forum Moderator
meb001
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Next

Return to Waze Map Editor