CBenson wrote:Small Detour Prevention Mechanism
Small Detour Prevention Mechanism
Waze routing includes a mechanism to prevent routing off a highway/freeway only to be routed right back on the same highway/freeway. The assumption is that drivers will prefer to remain on the highway/freeway even if waze calculates that taking a series of ramps or other collector/distributor roads is slightly faster or shorter.
Waze routing will not present routes over a detour off a highway/freeway and back on that same highway/freeway when each of the following conditions are met:
1) the last segment on the highway/freeway before the detour has the same street name and same city name as the next highway/freeway segment after the detour,
2) the detour is more than one segment long,
3) the detour is over segments of a different road type than the highway/freeway, and
4) the detour is under the threshold length as defined below.
The threshold length if the highway/freeway is a freeway or a major highway is 5 kilometers. The threshold length if the highway is a minor highway is 500 meters.
The "detour detection mechanism" tries to prevent route options that exit major roads into minor roads (ramps, streets etc.), in order to save negligible driving time.
The idea is that drivers will prefer to remain on the major road, even if it is just a bit longer or slower.
The following scenarios are considered as a detour, and will not be shown as a possible route alternative:
- If the start point of the detour and end point of the detour have the same street name (only main street name - not alternative name)
- Detour must be more than 1 segment long (between 2 segments with the same name).
The mechanism handles 2 types of detours with slightly different properties:
- Road types: Freeway, Major Highway - it's a detour only if the detour started out of these types, got back to these types, and in the middle the types are different.
- Bypass length is 5km - under this threshold, the route is considered to be a detour and will not be shown as a possible route. If it is longer then 5km, it will be considered as a valid new route - and there for will be shown as a possible route.
- Minor Highway:
- Road types: Minor Highway - same role here, it's a detour only if the detour started out of these types, got back to these types, and in the middle the types are different.
- Bypass length is 500m - again, same role here as well, under this threshold, the route is considered to be a detour and will not be shown as a possible route. If it is longer then 500m, it will be considered as a valid new route - and there for will be shown as a possible route.
Users browsing this forum: No registered users