Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.
Post by GizmoGuy411
CBenson wrote:Yes. I've cleared the cache.
Next tile update try again. I'm hoping for "Ste." to also say "Sainte" as Canada is also part of North America.
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. based Global Champ Emeritus
U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
U.S. Great Lakes ARC: IL, IN, MI, OH, WI
(and past GLR RC)
AM: NW OH, NE IN, SE MI
Wiki Profile
Verizon: Google Pixel XL3 & iPad "3"

Post by GizmoGuy411
dbraughlr wrote:What happened to MT = Montana ?
MT = mountain, which we have requested to be changed to Montana
Mt = Mount
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
(and past GLR RC)
Wiki Profile

Post by GizmoGuy411
The consensus opinion a long time ago was to have NO positional dependence with anything.

One reason was consistency. Once we have something that is prepositionally dependent, then the understanding of everything else comes into question. So that sense alone, I feel it is worth the storm.

I know there are a lot of segments that start with "St" with no period for Saint, but it will be a great editing project for a lower rank editor to work on if nothing else.

I'm perfectly willing to go with the flow here, but if we are going to rehash our decisions made some time ago, then I think we need to take it to a Champ vote.
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
(and past GLR RC)
Wiki Profile

Post by GizmoGuy411
Since Alan has thankfully got the ball rolling again with Waze regarding TTS, after it stalled again with my submissions to them last, fall, my interest is now peaked again, and I have edited the Big List to reflect what has been submitted to Waze to date for revision.

An "A" in the right column indicates something we have submitted, and a "R" indicates something submitted to be removed.

Along the recent submissions from Alan and I, the entire list of two letter US State and Canadian province abbreviations have been submitted, as I indicated to Shirli that I would do following our Meet-Up.
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
(and past GLR RC)
Wiki Profile

Post by GizmoGuy411
The discussion regarding "MT" vs "Mt" merits some explanation.

The Big TTS Test List initially was derived from the abbreviation lists of several official sources. Most of them used only capital letters for the abbreviations. They were imported as is into the first worksheet.

Therefore the initial round of testing was NOT necessarily case aware. Jencard and I may have submitted our tests in upper, lower or mixed case.

Subsequent testing using specific capitalization has the abbreviation in BOLD letters.

This is documented somewhere in the bottom notes in the list.

The sand box areas for those tests were deleted by others a long time ago, so no further record exists on how they were tested.

Since the list was already so large, and since we had no progress for years with Waze understanding how it worked, testing was never resumed let alone started over from scratch. Further complications due to the dual file issues also thwarted further testing.

To be fair to Waze, they originally implied that they did not have a clear understanding of how it all worked either. We were told then that they would have to submit new rules to Nuance, which I do not think is the case any longer.

Please note that the Nuance TTS demo sites are NOT a good place to test anything for Waze. From what I can determine, that test site uses only the base data for the Samantha and Tom voices for the "American English". We believe that Waze actually uses the Nuance enhanced "Mobile" version built onto those base voice systems. Changes we submit are then exceptions introduced by Waze as an additional layer into this process.

Nuance Vocalizer 5 Interactive Demo (Includes Samatha and Tom)

Nuance Interactive Loquendo TTS Demo (Samantha voice is not available)

GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
(and past GLR RC)
Wiki Profile

Post by GizmoGuy411
sketch wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:I have also noted that "Mt" and "Mt." both say "mount" but "Mt." sounds ... strange. It takes longer to say "mount" and there's a longer space after the word. "Mt" should be the standard.
Periods should be generally avoided unless necessary for differentiation ("St."; "Dr.").

I agree that we should reserve the period only for cases of ambiguity.

We do have "MT" in caps that is intended to say "Montana".

So while I think that is sufficient to differentiate it from "Mt", we can still add "Mt." to say "Mount", but only list "Mt" in our recommended abbreviation list.

Similarly, Alan also questioned my submission of "BUSN" for "Business" along with his prior submission of "BUS". I replied that we could indicate in the recommended list, that "BUS" should be used if signage says "BUS" or "BUSINESS", and only use "BUSN" when signage dictates.
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
(and past GLR RC)
Wiki Profile

Post by GizmoGuy411
Didn't you know you are now an island to yourselves? :shock:
Tell everyone it is a late Apri Fools joke.

Actually we are looking at what can be done short of just reverting "FM" back.

Would the format "FM-xxx" work, or are you way too invested in "FM xxx" without the hyphen?
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
(and past GLR RC)
Wiki Profile

Post by GizmoGuy411
CBenson wrote:Its not uncommon around here for BGS near state boaders to include the state for a destination. Thus ramp names that copy the BGS crop up with state abbreviations around here.
sketch wrote:There's definitely an exit on I-59 in Mississippi (or maybe Georgia) that lists "Something, Ala." as one of its destinations served.
Alan raised a good question. I started to wonder myself why I had them all tagged as "A"dd in the test list, and if I did so years ago, just because I thought it was a good idea at the time, or if there were other reasons I don't remember, like possibly for use with route numbers.

In any case, can you guys provide a couple examples? Meanwhile I'll try to start from page one here and see if I can find a better rationale for "A"dding them.
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
(and past GLR RC)
Wiki Profile

Post by GizmoGuy411
sketch wrote:Other considerations too, like do we really want LA to say "Louisiana"? Everyone here says "L A one", "L A forty-eight", and so forth.

I believe the idea was to get this done so we could use state abbreviations for state highways. Not that that's perfect. Some states would prefer SR or SH I'm sure — but the benefit of that is that we could get state-specific shields for every state. BUT of course it won't work for Nebraska.
Well if we did make "LA" another exception to say the letters "L A" then it would also work for Los Angles.
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
(and past GLR RC)
Wiki Profile

Post by GizmoGuy411
sketch wrote:All I'm saying is that we should consider each state abbreviation individually. If it's best that MD say Maryland, so be it. If people say "N C x" for NC state highways, keep the letters for that state.

We also don't want to be using "MI" instead of "M" for Michigan state highways because they're unequivocally referred to as "M-x". But for other states, it would be useful, like Maryland.

Obviously we can't achieve full parity because of Nebraska/northeast, so we might as well be accommodating.
Would we ever want "NE-" used for "Northeast-[something]"?

If not, then we actually maybe we can even accommodate Nebraska if the RegEx can be wrote to use "NE-xxx" to say "Nebraska xxx", instead of "Northeast xxx".

That is of course if that is how they refer to them.

And yes. Agreed on "M-xxx" for Michigan.

We should probably take this discussion off to another topic thread, and just point to it from here, since we have almost 70 abbreviations for State/Provinces, etc.
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
(and past GLR RC)
Wiki Profile