Official feedback thread - v1.3 - Schedules & Conversation

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Official feedback thread - v1.3 - Schedules & Conversati

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:35 pm

sketch wrote:The problem in the instant case is that the low-level editor in question is immediate-blanket-responding in sloppy English to every UR in an area, 80 miles from his managed area, which is managed quite well by two Level 6 Country Managers.

Editors cannot even see URs on the map outside of their editable area. The hyperbole here isn't exactly helping. Therefore, any URs which can be seen are potentially actionable by the editor and I see no problem with them asking the reporter for more information.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby sketch » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:56 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:@jasonh300 I think you're being overly critical and restrictive. This is a collaborative environment and the handful of country managers can't fix everything. We've got to have newer editors looking at URs and looking to solve map issues too.

I didn't even think URs showed up outside a user's editable area, which means they could have rights to fix the issues within that area. If URs show up everywhere now, that's a WME issue which should be fixed.

elle-emme wrote:
jasonh300 wrote:So now, the lower level user has to ask for an unlock, or ask for someone else to fix the problem, creating additional complication.

As long as the lower-ranked editor does that, is it really such an issue? How is it any different than a low-ranked editor running across the same problem during their normal editing of the map and posting an unlock request in the forum?

I agree. Just because there is a conversation going on, asking for an unlock is no different now than before. Hundreds of editors every month ask for unlocks because of a UR they can't resolve due to rank. This is a normal part of the editing workflow. This is not an additional complication. We've been doing this for years.

jasonh300 wrote:We've worked on and tested this feature for 6 months now to make it a DIRECT communication between the editor and the reporter. Obviously this isn't how it's going to work now that everyone has access to it. This is quickly going to turn into an unmanageable mess.

I disagree. Now I don't have to worry about trying to solve ALL URs in my area using conversations. What I didn't think about in testing is a way to quickly, visually ID URs which I have participated in. Like the Participated list for the forum in Tapatalk.

elle-emme wrote:If you worked on and tested it for six months, then how did this issue never come up? Did no one ever bring up the possibility of rank-locking conversations according to the rank lock of the road the UR was reported on?

But a good % of URs aren't about the road they are reported on anyway, so that's one reason it didn't come up. And I don't think it is worth the effort to pursue as a feature. The whole "issue" with multiple editors being involved in URs and the possible problems with it was partly due to not a lot of overlap between editors. But even before public release, we had issues with URs being closed improperly and having a conversation tool is not going to change it.

elle-emme wrote:edit: also, if it's such a big deal that plebeian editors are forbidden from initiating conversations on roads that are rank-locked and only patrician editors should do so, why isn't it addressed in the Wiki article about URs and conversations?

IMO, it isn't, and therefore, it isn't.

Regarding this, and the instant case:

I don't think low-level editors should be locked out of starting conversations. That's too extreme, and it doesn't really get to the heart of the problem here.

The problem in the instant case is that the low-level editor in question is immediate-blanket-responding in sloppy English to every UR in an area, 80 miles from his managed area, which is managed quite well by two Level 6 Country Managers.

As a matter of simple etiquette between editors, in proactively managed areas, editors who, (1) do not manage the area in question, and (2) are not local to that area, should allow a few days for the area manager, or someone local to the area, to follow through with editors first.

Managers and locals know their area best, and are best suited to fix issues in their area. If they're not on top of things, of course, other editors can come in and help out. But inexperienced and/or sloppy editors who take a day trip to a city with a well-maintained map are not in a position to help nearly as well as the editors who maintain that map so well.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby omba_de » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:54 pm

Timbones wrote:
omba_de wrote:I recently recognized, that the Livemap-URs don't have the additonal info "sent via Livemap" anymore.

This was a feature of the UROverview script, not part of the official editor.

Oh really? Huh. Didn't know it was related to URO...
Thanks...
omba_de
Global Champs Localizers
Global Champs Localizers

Postby Timbones » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:43 pm

omba_de wrote:I recently recognized, that the Livemap-URs don't have the additonal info "sent via Livemap" anymore.

This was a feature of the UROverview script, not part of the official editor.
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby foxitrot » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:31 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
pizuz wrote:When batch-selecting a couple of segments that don't bear the same street name or city name (no common street and no common city), editing one of those fields deletes the contents of the other one.

This has been like this in the editor for two years. This is why, and the interface is quite clear, the No Name checkbox is selected for those fields which will be set that way if you continue.

There have been proposals to Waze to make multiple-selections more user friendly, but none have been enacted yet. Waze doesn't consider this a serious enough issue (it is not a bug) to spend time changing it at this time.

Even if I should agree with this not being a bug, I'm considering it being at least a serious misbehavior :roll:

pizuz wrote:I guessed that this behavior was intended, but wouldn't it be possible to issue an explicit warning in that case? At least once?

I could not imagine one reason for such behavior to be intended. Except for simplifying the necessary code...
foxitrot
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CBenson » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:04 pm

Oh, no they don't affect routing after they expire (at least the ones I've added that have expired don't affect routing).
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby lopaolo69 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:02 pm

CBenson wrote:Restrictions remain listed in WME after they expire.

I know they remain... this the reason for my question :P

Paolo
lopaolo69
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CBenson » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:00 pm

Restrictions remain listed in WME after they expire. I don't know of any automated tools for removing them.
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby lopaolo69 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:58 am

Just a smal question for who knows.
Will be deleted a restriction active for a specific range of days?
For example, I setup a restriction starting from today to tomorrow. After tomorrow, when the restriction is not active anymore, why I still see the rectriction on the road?
Is existing a periodic "script" that remove all the death restrictions from the server?

Paolo
lopaolo69
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby omba_de » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:01 am

I recently recognized, that the Livemap-URs don't have the additonal info "sent via Livemap" anymore. That's too bad, because it's difference if someone is just panning the map and seeing some inconsistencies, or if a UR is sent on site...

Although, is it possible to recieve an email-notification for a solved Livemap-UR? (as it was some time ago?)
omba_de
Global Champs Localizers
Global Champs Localizers

PreviousNext

Return to Waze Map Editor