You MUST read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before posting here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate WME version release thread found in the Waze Map Editor forum (parent of this forum).

Forum rules
You MUST read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before posting here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze Map Editor forum (parent of this forum).

Feature Request - Editor Test before Editing

Post by MGODLEW
I apologize in advance if this is sounds more like a rant than a request but are there any plans to require new editors to pass some form of test before being able to edit the map? It becomes extremely frustrating to see new editors edit areas that were entirely updated properly less than 6 months ago ruined by a new editors inexperience. I understand they are only trying to help as I too was this way as a newbie, but having to go back and fix poor edits by new users over and over is rather taxing on experienced editors who could spend their time updating other areas of the map that need updating. I feel like a lot of good editors will eventually lose interest in even updating the map since their updates will be ruined anyways. Sure, there is a solution... Lock the segments to a higher level but I feel like that is a disadvantage to new editors who can actually took the time to read the wiki & can update the map properly and add information that I potentially missed. Perhaps setup a new editors test where they need to solve some common examples of map problems & require them to properly create new roads & junctions. Then show them aerial views of some roads and they need to properly identify what each road type should be?
MGODLEW
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

POSTER_ID:4659062

Send a message
I am best reached via Discord, give me an “@“

Post by bart99gt
I agree. It doesn't have to be much, just something to weed out fly by night editors trying to pick up a few bonus points and then leave the map a mess in an area without an AM. If nothing else, it should just be a short 10 question quiz on the Wiki just to ensure that it has actually been read, with emphasis on common newbie mistakes.
bart99gt
Send a message
MAR LAM (W DC Suburbs)
MS/AR/Atlanta Metro AM

Post by davielde
There is already a sandbox environment with "play mode". Perhaps this could be adapted where even after logging in, the user is still in play mode for the first 100 edits. Once logged in, the quality of the edits could be tracked for the user as well, and a certain number would have to match a predefined scenario. After they get X number of quality edits of a variety of different types, the login could be promoted to standard WME.
davielde
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/6/69/W ... 00k_5c.png
CM: USA
SM: Michigan, Vermont
AM: Ann Arbor, MI & Thunder Bay, ON
WME Michigan

Post by MGODLEW
nzahn1 wrote:If feel like the "first 100 edits" model would shift us closer to a google map maker model where edits are reviewed by AMs, RCs, and champs.

The question we would have to answer is this where we want to go?
I don't know.
I personally wouldn't mind taking on approving edits, if this role could be have assigned to AM's or champs or perhaps create a new rank such as Map Editor Supervisors who can cover an entire state that would be ideal too.
MGODLEW
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
I am best reached via Discord, give me an “@“

Post by nzahn1
If feel like the "first 100 edits" model would shift us closer to a google map maker model where edits are reviewed by AMs, RCs, and champs.

The question we would have to answer is this where we want to go?
I don't know.
nzahn1
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

US Global Champ | MAR Coordinator | iOS Beta | WME Beta | Localizer
WME Profile | E-mail | MAR Forum | MAR Wiki | MD Twitter