Waze on Blackberry Z10

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Waze on Blackberry Z10

Postby Donkeyfumbler » Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:36 pm

Ironically, sideloading the latest Android version onto the Z10 with 10.2 seems to work much better than the 'official' version in the App World. Can't believe it would be that much work to update it, but more than Waze are prepared to put in by the looks of it - shame, as not everyone is prepared to sideload regardless of how easy it might be.
Donkeyfumbler

Postby sdgardne » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:56 pm

Donkeyfumbler wrote:Ironically, sideloading the latest Android version onto the Z10 with 10.2 seems to work much better than the 'official' version in the App World. Can't believe it would be that much work to update it, but more than Waze are prepared to put in by the looks of it - shame, as not everyone is prepared to sideload regardless of how easy it might be.

Hello!

Which apk version did you use, please? I've found a bar for 3.7.2.0 and am attempting to get it running now (first test was failed...app would not even launch...rebooting Z10 now to see if that cures) and an apk for 3.7.3.0, but nothing trustworthy for 3.7.6 (the latest, AFAIK)...there was a site with 3.7.6, but I did not trust what they presented, and so won't download from them. I have not yet attempted extracting the 3.7.6 apk from Google Play...

Thanks!
sdgardne

Postby wshand4 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:43 am

I wish they would just update the one in App World, it's not that hard to keep up to date, maybe they will be generous and update it one day :(
wshand4

Postby Donkeyfumbler » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:28 pm

sdgardne wrote:
Donkeyfumbler wrote:Ironically, sideloading the latest Android version onto the Z10 with 10.2 seems to work much better than the 'official' version in the App World. Can't believe it would be that much work to update it, but more than Waze are prepared to put in by the looks of it - shame, as not everyone is prepared to sideload regardless of how easy it might be.

Hello!

Which apk version did you use, please? I've found a bar for 3.7.2.0 and am attempting to get it running now (first test was failed...app would not even launch...rebooting Z10 now to see if that cures) and an apk for 3.7.3.0, but nothing trustworthy for 3.7.6 (the latest, AFAIK)...there was a site with 3.7.6, but I did not trust what they presented, and so won't download from them. I have not yet attempted extracting the 3.7.6 apk from Google Play...

Thanks!

I'm using 3.7.3 which I got (via an Android phone) through Google play before the most recent update. I'm also using the first unlocked Android runtime which was released, which may make the difference. The runtime is no harder to sideload than an ordinary app and almost all my android apps work, except those that use the Google Maps api. Can't see any reason not to use it.

Waze has worked fairly much perfectly.
Donkeyfumbler

Postby sdgardne » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:54 pm

Thank you. The 3.7.3 apk I obtained likewise did not function (failed to launch). I am running (leaked for my carrier, official on others) 10.2.0.1791 with the official runtime fix from BBWorld, and all of my other side-loads work fine (save for some with similar api call issues), where they definitely would not run on any prior 10.2 BBOS no matter what I did with runtime fixes (and other things). I think perhaps I will look around for another apk source...would not be the first time I'd obtained a corrupt apk! I am also considering moving up to 10.2.0.1803, which is reported to not need the runtime fix and also may have other improvements. I will report back with results if/when I do that.

Thanks again!
sdgardne

Postby Donkeyfumbler » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:14 pm

I am running official 10.2.0.1791 but using the first unlocked runtime that was released as I believe it is still felt to be the most reliable.

I really hate the way all of these releases have different numbers, but the runtime (for whatever reason) shows as 127.0.0.595.

Not sure what runtime fixes you mean - I simply sideloaded the runtime and then sideloaded Waze 3.7.3
Donkeyfumbler

Postby sdgardne » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:27 pm

Donkeyfumbler wrote:Not sure what runtime fixes you mean - I simply sideloaded the runtime and then sideloaded Waze 3.7.3

Article ID: KB35312 Android applications will not open or run after upgrading to BlackBerry 10 OS version 10.2.0.x
http://bit.ly/18LRpBX

http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/39879918

Edit -- Oops...after posting, testing the link to the KB works, but the BBworld entry is no longer valid. Not sure what they did there...not sure why they would remove it from BBWorld.
sdgardne

Postby RecoveryForceInc » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:21 pm

Going to give the sideload 3.7.20 APK a try too. Getting annoyed with the latest version in BlackBerry World reverting back to Miles every time I load the App.
RecoveryForceInc

Postby Donkeyfumbler » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:28 pm

sdgardne wrote:
Donkeyfumbler wrote:Not sure what runtime fixes you mean - I simply sideloaded the runtime and then sideloaded Waze 3.7.3

Article ID: KB35312 Android applications will not open or run after upgrading to BlackBerry 10 OS version 10.2.0.x
http://bit.ly/18LRpBX

http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/39879918

Edit -- Oops...after posting, testing the link to the KB works, but the BBworld entry is no longer valid. Not sure what they did there...not sure why they would remove it from BBWorld.

Ah, so maybe your problem is that you are still running the official (locked) Android runtime rather than using an unlocked version like me.
Donkeyfumbler

Postby sdgardne » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:53 pm

Donkeyfumbler wrote:Ah, so maybe your problem is that you are still running the official (locked) Android runtime rather than using an unlocked version like me.

Quite possibly...I had thought that the runtime they released in BBWorld was unlocked, as it indeed fixed some issues I had with other side-loads. But, perhaps it's not truly unlocked. When I get time, I'll need to do some more experimenting...hmm, "spare time", what a concept!
sdgardne

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App