Change in editing points

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Change in editing points

Postby enhket » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:45 pm

He might need check the topic title too :?
Christopher C. Enhket
Languages: Español, English, Français, Português.
Coordinator, Beta editor/Editing expert, Campeón.
Communities established: 8
enhket
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby shirlig » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:43 pm

Hi guys,

So, after reading all your comments I understand that you wish to see more gaming stuff for drivers in the client.
I will check with the Product team if we can add more achievements and road goodies for drivers.

Back to the original discussion: the suggested solution was to change number of points per edit from 1.5 to 3 and in addition to leave the multi-time achievement for each 3000 edits. If you think 1500 points is too much (+0.5 points per edit) - we can discuss the exact number.

I think it pretty much covers all the issues - editors are credited with 3 points per edit AND we keep the multi-time achievement.
shirlig
Waze Team
Waze Team

Postby SuperDave1426 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:16 pm

shirlig wrote:Back to the original discussion: the suggested solution was to change number of points per edit from 1.5 to 3 and in addition to leave the multi-time achievement for each 3000 edits. If you think 1500 points is too much (+0.5 points per edit) - we can discuss the exact number.

Don't you mean, "Leave the multi-time achievement for each 500 edits?" I thought that's what it was originally. Means the candies come up more often, even if lower value each candy. :-)
ImageImageImageImage
Country Manager: USA (mostly oriented around NV & CA)
Editor Guide Best Editing Practices Editor Quick-start
Places Guidelines Nevada Wiki
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby enhket » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:27 pm

nice Shirli. Thanks for proposing to the product team the candies for drivers.
Christopher C. Enhket
Languages: Español, English, Français, Português.
Coordinator, Beta editor/Editing expert, Campeón.
Communities established: 8
enhket
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby calandraca » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:25 pm

I agree with daknive. waze has to be fun. I live in a small town, I do not need the browser to move around it because there are not hardly jams, however I use it every day, to eat candies and to greet my friends. Really i have other motivations, my responsability over the map is correctly edited and do not appear new mistakes on it) . i think that is very important do funny and atractive the app for the users of small cities or driving always for the same roads with low traffic if we want they use it.

Candies for driving is a very good idea! :)

(Enviado desde el móvil con
Tapatalk )
calandraca WAZE.CHAMP.ES
calandraca
Experts
Experts

Postby krikketdoug » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:59 am

I've been reading this thread for a while and not commenting because I'm a relative newbie and still absorbing the culture. And I know conditions near me aren't the same as they are world-wide, so my experience with Waze may be dramatically different than users in other areas.

If I'm going to make a change/edit to the map, I visit the place in person, even if I've been there before. (That doesn't apply to bug fixes, that doesn't always apply. I don't have to visit a place in person to see that a junction isn't joined correctly in the system. The map isn't the territory.)

I'm seeing comments here about how easy it is to rack up edits, and 1,000 edits per day... And comments about how Google Maps errors are being brought into Waze because people aren't checking things out in person.

On the flip side, I'm seeing people say how editors shouldn't have to drive to get points. And hey, if they know the area well enough (and there are some places outside of the area I'm allowed to edit that I know well enough to do so, I just haven't been there in the last 3 months via car) then more power to them.

But overall I think linking the ability to edit to where you've driven recently is a very good thing!

I just wonder HOW some people can rack up that many legitimate edits a day. I"m not saying they can't, as conditions around the globe are very different, and my area is very well mapped. And to be honest, I like it like that. It means I'm getting some damned good data on my GPS.

As for the candies, I've been waiting for a few for a while. But on another current thread, it's been shown to be a bug that's being worked on. But after that, I'll probably get no more except through edits for months, if not longer. So to help encourage the drivers, I'd like to propose a "Driving for X days in a row" candy, possibly located off the main route. Sure, I might miss a few because I'm short on time and on the way to work, but I think it might help encourage the drivers, which is where Waze get's it's data.

It's just a thought. And an opinion. It's like something else... Everyone has one. I might even be wrong, who knows? I just thought I'd throw this out there for the general reaction.
Krikket
a.k.a. Doug Krick

ImageImage
Chicago Speed and Traffic Cameras
https://webapps1.cityofchicago.org/traffic/
krikketdoug

Postby Riamus » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:35 pm

As you really start to get into editing, you'll find a LOT of different errors in the map that need fixed that you aren't yet noticing. Many of these can easily be fixed without seeing the area or knowing anything about it. The editors who are most apt to have a ton of edits every day are the ones who are least likely to be bringing in Google Map errors. Usually, those come from new editors, though not always. I can easily do over 1000 edits per day, though I don't always have time for that. Of course, I'm mostly editing in areas that have had just about nothing done to them. Fixing soft turns and reverse connections and U-turns in an area where there are a lot of those can very quickly rack up points. I've had times where just about every node needed fixed. Those fixes end up giving you at least a few points on most nodes and take only a second to fix. Just be careful not to "fix" a valid U-turn (see the Wiki regarding what U-turns are valid). And that's just one item. When you start, it may seem like there isn't much to do on the map and you'll wonder how to get very many points. It took me maybe a week or two for my first 1000 edits. Now I've managed on some days to get around 3000-4000 when I have some time to really work on the map. I usually only do large numbers of edits once or twice a week, though. Others here do large numbers of edits almost every day.
ImageImage
Area Manager: Michigan - Northern LP.
Waze running on Samsung Galaxy S3.
Riamus

Postby bart99gt » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:45 pm

If you have a lot of rural areas around where you drive, finding things to edit is not very difficult at all. Many times the map is relatively untouched outside of interstates and maybe a major highway here or there. You'll have complete towns with road directions not set, no turns set, etc. You can rack up a ton of edits in very little time fixing smaller towns. I would say that probably 60-70% of my editing has been in such areas since these areas don't get much love from anyone.
ImageImage
US Country Manager
Mississippi State Manager
Memphis, TN Area Manager
Cobb/Douglas County, GA Area Manager

Mississippi Wiki Page https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Mississippi
bart99gt
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby CivicDuty29 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:46 pm

How about just lowering the points levels needed to achieve the different Waze ranks?

That'll shorten the time length of the quest for points with arbitrary edits (found a well established area the other day where a recent state "high-scorer" edited almost EVERY SINGLE ROAD in the city... Why? Who knows... Not enough nodes on them I guess...) and get people to The Almighty Crown­™ quicker and out of the mindless edits game.

Or get rid of points, ranks and the scoreboard, period.
CivicDuty29

Postby Riamus » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:25 am

There are valid reasons for editing that can affect large numbers of segments in an area. If it's a regular editor, they likely have a good reason for it. Waze can easily track what a user does and can ban anyone found to be doing things just to get points. And ranks are necessary for helping to lock down areas and limit access to higher level editors on important roads as well as other things. I don't think there are as many people trying to get points by doing things that aren't good as some people think.

If you really feel someone is doing something they shouldn't, just let your regional coordinator know who it is and they'll look into it. If necessary, they'll let Waze know.
ImageImage
Area Manager: Michigan - Northern LP.
Waze running on Samsung Galaxy S3.
Riamus

PreviousNext

Return to Waze Map Editor