Official feedback thread - v1.3 - Schedules & Conversation

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Official feedback thread - v1.3 - Schedules & Conversati

Postby sasprin » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:39 pm

I'm looking forward to get started!
sasprin

Re: New Editor Version! Scheduled Restrictions and Conversat

Postby shawndoc » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:19 am

Thortok2000 wrote:Will do.

Do they still get your message though? If I send a "We don't map toll booths" and then immediately hit "not identified" do they get that message or do they just get the not identified part?

I'd also like to offer my opinions for the discussion on landmarks but it seems that thread is locked. -.-

In theory they will get both. When you hit send you will notice that the text box is grayed out temporarily. Once it ungrays it should update to show the comment you sent. At that point, your comment has been sent/added to the queue. You should be safe to close.

Having said that, the delivery of comments has been iffy throughout testing, with some major problems just in the last week. The most common problem has been they have received the email notification, but not the app notification. Now that comments are available in the editor, user can at least reply via editor where during beta they had to use the app to reply.

Also from beta, several hours can pass between when you submit a comment and when the user receives it.

Just some things to keep in mind.
shawndoc
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby shawndoc » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:35 am

haraop wrote:I'm sorry for my ignorance, but I already read all the wiki post, and I can't understand one thing yet. If I want to block a road only to Sundays from 5 AM to 1 PM (due to closed area for jogging), I just need to mark "Sunday" and the time? I don't need to place anything else?

Set it so only Sunday is checked.
Then set from 05:00 to 13:00.
shawndoc
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby shawndoc » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:13 pm

Try installing the UR Overview script. Its got all sorts of rules you can set up to hide various UR's based on their status.
shawndoc
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby shawndoc » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:03 am

It shows the editor's name in the email, but they have to be paying attention to see it.
shawndoc
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby siklalez » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:29 am

Sounds good, I'll clear cookies in my browsers and I hope that features available in the WME.

i yem Newbies level 2 map editor
siklalez

Postby sketch » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:56 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:@jasonh300 I think you're being overly critical and restrictive. This is a collaborative environment and the handful of country managers can't fix everything. We've got to have newer editors looking at URs and looking to solve map issues too.

I didn't even think URs showed up outside a user's editable area, which means they could have rights to fix the issues within that area. If URs show up everywhere now, that's a WME issue which should be fixed.

elle-emme wrote:
jasonh300 wrote:So now, the lower level user has to ask for an unlock, or ask for someone else to fix the problem, creating additional complication.

As long as the lower-ranked editor does that, is it really such an issue? How is it any different than a low-ranked editor running across the same problem during their normal editing of the map and posting an unlock request in the forum?

I agree. Just because there is a conversation going on, asking for an unlock is no different now than before. Hundreds of editors every month ask for unlocks because of a UR they can't resolve due to rank. This is a normal part of the editing workflow. This is not an additional complication. We've been doing this for years.

jasonh300 wrote:We've worked on and tested this feature for 6 months now to make it a DIRECT communication between the editor and the reporter. Obviously this isn't how it's going to work now that everyone has access to it. This is quickly going to turn into an unmanageable mess.

I disagree. Now I don't have to worry about trying to solve ALL URs in my area using conversations. What I didn't think about in testing is a way to quickly, visually ID URs which I have participated in. Like the Participated list for the forum in Tapatalk.

elle-emme wrote:If you worked on and tested it for six months, then how did this issue never come up? Did no one ever bring up the possibility of rank-locking conversations according to the rank lock of the road the UR was reported on?

But a good % of URs aren't about the road they are reported on anyway, so that's one reason it didn't come up. And I don't think it is worth the effort to pursue as a feature. The whole "issue" with multiple editors being involved in URs and the possible problems with it was partly due to not a lot of overlap between editors. But even before public release, we had issues with URs being closed improperly and having a conversation tool is not going to change it.

elle-emme wrote:edit: also, if it's such a big deal that plebeian editors are forbidden from initiating conversations on roads that are rank-locked and only patrician editors should do so, why isn't it addressed in the Wiki article about URs and conversations?

IMO, it isn't, and therefore, it isn't.

Regarding this, and the instant case:

I don't think low-level editors should be locked out of starting conversations. That's too extreme, and it doesn't really get to the heart of the problem here.

The problem in the instant case is that the low-level editor in question is immediate-blanket-responding in sloppy English to every UR in an area, 80 miles from his managed area, which is managed quite well by two Level 6 Country Managers.

As a matter of simple etiquette between editors, in proactively managed areas, editors who, (1) do not manage the area in question, and (2) are not local to that area, should allow a few days for the area manager, or someone local to the area, to follow through with editors first.

Managers and locals know their area best, and are best suited to fix issues in their area. If they're not on top of things, of course, other editors can come in and help out. But inexperienced and/or sloppy editors who take a day trip to a city with a well-maintained map are not in a position to help nearly as well as the editors who maintain that map so well.
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
new orleans based • detroit enthusiast • usa country manager
2013 ford focus titanium hatchback 5mt • performance blue
Image Image
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby sketch » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:16 pm

I'm not proposing any changes to the editor or the way URs are handled—just a simple rule of etiquette to be followed by (and, in extreme cases, enforceable against) editors.

Area managers look at their areas and see conversation markers and assume that they—or one of their co-managers, or a local editor—have assumed the responsibility for that issue. It's not good policy to allow day-trip editors to immediately undertake responsibility in an area with which they aren't familiar, when there are other, better-equipped editors who are ready and willing to take responsibility and action.

That said, an addition to the in-map UR marker which shows whether you're following that UR would be helpful in situations like these. See one that's been replied to and that you're not following, and follow it; then you can keep an eye on it and perhaps help a newer editor resolve the situation if necessary.
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
new orleans based • detroit enthusiast • usa country manager
2013 ford focus titanium hatchback 5mt • performance blue
Image Image
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby SuperDave1426 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:56 pm

ohad-ron wrote:Conversations - this feature lets you talk directly from the editor with people who have reported update requests. Client users are able to reply directly from the client, and you will get a notification to your client and an email when they respond.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you! I've lost count of how many times I've seen a "General error (user reported)" with no other information provided by the user, and the path information being displayed was insufficient to figure out the problem, so I've just had to mark the issue as "solved" to get it off the map. This should be a BIG help to let us clear those up in a more meaningful way! :mrgreen:
ImageImageImageImage
State Manager: Nevada, USA
Area Manager: Northern CA; Greater Los Angeles area, CA
Editor Guide Best Editing Practices Editor Quick-start
Places Guidelines Nevada Wiki
SuperDave1426
State Manager
State Manager

Postby SuperDave1426 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:40 pm

AndyPoms wrote:You should have been marking those as "Not Identified" as you didn't solve the issue they were reporting. Only MPs should never be marked as "Not Identified", NOT URs.

Sorry. I *meant* to say "Not identified." My bad.

Yes, I'll admit that once or twice I did a "solved" because it really looked like it might have simply been an accidental report based on other information (street view, turn restrictions checked, road directions checked, etc.), but the vast majority of the time it was marked as "not identified." Now that you've made that clarification for me, I'll be sure that in the future I *never* mark a "I didn't solve it" UR as "solved." (Though like I said, most of the time I "not identified" them).

Thanks, and I'll be more careful in the future! :-)
Last edited by SuperDave1426 on Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImageImageImage
State Manager: Nevada, USA
Area Manager: Northern CA; Greater Los Angeles area, CA
Editor Guide Best Editing Practices Editor Quick-start
Places Guidelines Nevada Wiki
SuperDave1426
State Manager
State Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Waze Map Editor