Official feedback thread - v1.3 - Schedules & Conversation

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Official feedback thread - v1.3 - Schedules & Conversati

Postby SuperDave1426 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:03 pm

I, for one, appreciate it when another editor helps out. There have been a couple of times now when another editor saw my request for more information from the reporter and knew what the problem was. That other editor fixed the segment of road that needed fixing and left a comment stating what the problem was and what his fix was. I then added a comment that I was closing the UR as solved (for the benefit of the reporter, assuming that he would actually get the messages at some point) and then so closed the UR.

I started the conversation and since I was still active in it, I appreciated being the one to close the UR, but as to the edit itself, I didn't care since it was a valid edit to fix the problem. I realize other editors might not feel quite that way. :-) But for me, I'm not editing to get points (yes, the points are nice, but that's not primarily why I edit), I'm editing to help make the map better.
ImageImageImageImage
Country Manager: USA (mostly oriented around NV & CA)
Editor Guide Best Editing Practices Editor Quick-start
Places Guidelines Nevada Wiki
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby HavanaDay » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:35 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Not just AMs: when I come upon a UR that has a comment from another editor requesting info from the reporter, and I think I know the answer, I will add a comment for the benefit of the original editor. I've done that a few times recently.

I think that is all well and good. I guess what I am asking, is if you know you have the solution do you still feel it isn't your place to fix it and close the UR before the 7 day period is over because you weren't the original requester or isn't your area managed. Some nav errors are as simple as a restricted turn, that when the original UR requester responds (ie couldn't turn left from A St to B St) anybody could fix it. But, current etiquette would require me to not close the UR until after 7 days. That was why I said in my original post that if someone with almost 100% certainty (ie someone I trust) can solve it, I would have no problem with them closing a UR I made a original request.

Not that you get points for comments, but I see no downside from some newbie editor coming through an area and writing either a standard or well written comment for more info on a UR. The first comment is what gets the ball rolling. The real issue is getting someone to show enough discipline to wait the 7 days to close the UR. This is getting a little better since conversations have gone live in the production editor though.
HavanaDay
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby ArtVictorP » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:30 am

I think this "issue" started at the moment that I could notice how many times a UR could be closed by someone else even if I was waiting for the 7-day-etiquette to close it myself if I had no response from the reporting user.
Before this feature, we didn't have to "keep an eye" on an UR, we just closed it as solved or unidentified at the moment. That's why it is said: "Ignorance is a bliss".

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
ArtVictorP
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby edsonajj » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:12 pm

ArtVictorP wrote:Before this feature, we didn't have to "keep an eye" on an UR, we just closed it as solved or unidentified at the moment. That's why it is said: "Ignorance is a bliss".

That depends more on your community than the comments feature, in México we already had a rule about not closing as "Not Identified" any reports for which the icon wow still yellow.
Image Edson Jiménez

edsonajj
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby ArtVictorP » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:10 pm

edsonajj wrote:
ArtVictorP wrote:Before this feature, we didn't have to "keep an eye" on an UR, we just closed it as solved or unidentified at the moment. That's why it is said: "Ignorance is a bliss".

That depends more on your community than the comments feature, in México we already had a rule about not closing as "Not Identified" any reports for which the icon wow still yellow.

Good policy! May I know how good were its results?
It would be a good idea to apply it in Ecuador too.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
ArtVictorP
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Official feedback thread - v1.3 - Schedules & Conversation

Postby edsonajj » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:28 pm

ArtVictorP wrote:
edsonajj wrote:

In the cities where I'm most active it works well since I try and train the local editors an the correct practices... The biggest problem are the users who don't read the wiki (same as every tool and rule) but I try and get in contact with the newbies I notice to point them in the right direction.
Image Edson Jiménez

edsonajj
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby ArtVictorP » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:57 pm

edsonajj wrote:
ArtVictorP wrote:Good policy! May I know how good were its results?

In the cities where I'm most active it works well since I try and train the local editors an the correct practices... The biggest problem are the users who don't read the wiki (same as every tool and rule) but I try and get in contact with the newbies I notice to point them in the right direction.

Trabajo de hormiga pana... Trabajo de hormiga. I'm in. ;)
ArtVictorP
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby paulkok_my » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:44 am

Today I got a few push notification on my client from UR replying but I do not receive any email notification. Anybody facing this?

Another thing is when I reply from the client, I do not see what I have posted on the client until the poster replies.

I can however see my replies if I access the UR through WME.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
ImageImageImage
Area Manager: Shah Alam / Klang, Southern Region, Malaysia
Asus Zenfone 2 on Android 5.0 (ZE551ML)

Join our FB group: Peninsular Malaysia, Sabah/Sarawak
or Google+ group: Waze in Malaysia on Google+
paulkok_my
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby SuperDave1426 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:50 pm

paulkok_my wrote:Today I got a few push notification on my client from UR replying but I do not receive any email notification. Anybody facing this?

I've been getting them ok so far. This is probably an obvious question, but have you checked with your E-Mail provider to make sure that the notifications from Waze aren't ending up being treated as spam?
ImageImageImageImage
Country Manager: USA (mostly oriented around NV & CA)
Editor Guide Best Editing Practices Editor Quick-start
Places Guidelines Nevada Wiki
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby ArtVictorP » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:47 pm

edsonajj wrote:
ArtVictorP wrote:
edsonajj wrote:That depends more on your community than the comments feature, in México we already had a rule about not closing as "Not Identified" any reports for which the icon wow still yellow.

By the way Edson, you could read this thread created to establish some "practices" regarding the URs. What do you think about it? Maybe we could create a "Good behavior guide for editors" available for all, at the wiki or on all forums.
ArtVictorP
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Waze Map Editor