Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to discuss editing specifically related to house numbering (addresses): how to optimize locations, set stop-points, etc.

Incorrect address somewhere in database (not in editor)

Post by kodi75
A recent UR prompted this request.
A search for "7801 York Road" in Live Map yielded 2 results in the Towson, MD area. The correct one is located just south of the the Towson University campus. It also lists one in Cockeysville, MD around the 9700 Block. Highlighting the street only shows an address for #9717 in that area. Can someone higher up look at this?
7801 York Rd - not.JPG
Wrong 7801 York Rd
(33.11 KiB) Downloaded 1330 times
kodi75
Country Manager
Country Manager
Answers: 1

POSTER_ID:8514403

Send a message

AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by CBenson
So if I have this correct, 7801 York Rd, is not in Cockeysville, but rather in Towson. So the is the question why does the live map list the a Cockeysville result?

I can't get the erroneous Cockeysville result to appear on my phone unless I specifically enter Cockeysville.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
russblau wrote:Is it possible that Waze is trying to interpolate the "missing" address between these two points?
It not merely interpolating as 2300 York Rd will also provide a Cokeysville result on the live map.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by kodi75
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Per https://www.waze.com/wiki/FAQ#What_do_I ... ocation.3F, did you check against google or other online sources?
Yes, Alan. Against both Google and Bing before posting. And they both return the correct location. In addition, I attempted to "force" those search engines to give me a result in Cockeysville, only to be presented with a marker somewhere near the center of the CDP.

On both on Live Map and my phone I simply entered "7801 York Road", yielding the following results, in order:
  • Towson, MD
    Parma, OH
    Pavilion NY
    Hagerstown, MD
    Melbane, NC
    Cockeysville, MD
    (& more)
kodi75
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by kodi75
I verified the "2446" address in Maryland's Department of Planning MDiMap
The numbering scheme for York Road starts at Burke Ave in Towson and runs in a consistent series to Padonia Road at the Timonium / Cockeysville line where it jumps to 9700. Just that gas station seems to be numerically out of place (being on the north side of Padonia).
kodi75
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message
Last edited by kodi75 on Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by kodi75
russblau wrote: Is it possible that Waze is trying to interpolate the "missing" address between these two points?
Just for fun I searched for various addresses between 5000 and 8000 York Road (no city entered) and Live Map placed them all in a narrow strip along York Road between Padonia Road and Parks Ave leading me to believe that there is some degree of interpolation going on. I added a few more address points along that section of York Road, both south and north of Padonia Road to make it learn [ref: War Games, 1983].
kodi75
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by russblau
CBenson wrote:So if I have this correct, 7801 York Rd, is not in Cockeysville, but rather in Towson. So the is the question why does the live map list the a Cockeysville result?
If you look at "York Rd, Cockeysville, MD" around the location of the incorrect search result in WME, you'll see that there are a couple of house numbers defined: 2446 and 9717. (The first one does not seem consistent with the local numbering scheme, and may be an error.) Is it possible that Waze is trying to interpolate the "missing" address between these two points?
russblau
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message