Jolly drivers

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Jolly drivers

Postby PvilleT » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:49 pm

usbank.com disagrees with the reporter.

EDIT: not that I'm surprised...
Austin area | Texas wiki
PvilleT

Postby PvilleT » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:53 pm

OK, you're right -- what I'm finding is actually all ATMs. I wouldn't have been as flippant in any other thread, but since this is jolly drivers, I read the original complaint from the reporter to mean there were not any U.S. (aka national) banks in Texas, only Texas (state) banks. Perhaps I misread it.

Can we get a permalink so we can look for an errant Waze landmark? Texas landmark guidance calls for banks not to be marked. (And since the tiles haven't updated since places came along, we're still looking at that.)
Austin area | Texas wiki
PvilleT

Postby PvilleT » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:06 pm

Wow guys, I feel like I need to be more careful with my wording. :-) Landmarks are still in the client app. Places aren't yet. So under the guidance in place at the time of the last tile update, banks shouldn't have been landmarked in Texas. If there is one there (vs a POI search from another provider) we do need to fix it. For editing I'm going by the new US Places guidance. I'll get with txemt about the Texas forum post, since that was his thread.
Austin area | Texas wiki
PvilleT

Postby PvilleT » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:31 am

irowiki wrote:
Update Request: General error
hitchhiker

Is this a feature request for a new "Hazard on Shoulder"?
Austin area | Texas wiki
PvilleT

Postby PvilleT » Fri May 09, 2014 5:09 pm

General error (user reported)
Problem: I have four gas stations within five miles of where I live.

Not sure whether to reply "great!" or "you should move."

EDIT: Got a good reply saying that some didn't show up. I found several that had been imported but never touched by an editor, so they were minimally sized area places, too small to show up on the map. Mischief managed.
Last edited by PvilleT on Mon May 12, 2014 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Austin area | Texas wiki
PvilleT

Postby qwaletee » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:53 pm

txemt wrote:
bz2012 wrote:The e-mail that WAZE sends shows the location and gives a link to the report in the map editor.
It also shows the date of the report.
If THAT doesn't 'jog' the memory of the reporter, what will?

A flux capacitor.

Unless he eats it. That may be the only way to stop him anyway. Enjoy the coffee.
NYC Metro | Mentor | USA Country Manager | Responding to Map Issues
qwaletee
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby qwaletee » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:25 pm

You can't let these things get you too excited. I try to engage drivers to start the process, and if they respond with sketchy info, I just try to get them to refine it. Usually, shorter responses work better. For example, in the above exchange, it could have gone like this:

sockslabs(3) Hi, map editor here to solve your problem. What happened?

Reporter I entered an address on oak st. Wade brought to a point on route 9 west. Oak st parallels route 9. But there is half a mile between them

sockslabs(3) OK, let's get that fixed! What was the exact address you entered?

Reporter It brought me to the wrong street. I call that an error

sockslabs(3) I got that. What's the house number? Without that, I can't fix it.

Will there be more rounds? Probably not. If the driver still acted uncooperative, I would just leave it open for a week after that, then respond with:

Hi, again! I'm still willing to help if you're interested, otherwise, can we close this case? Let me know your intentions in the next day or so, please.

He'll either ignore it and I'll close it a few days later, or he'll respond with the address, or he'll respond with something else. If it is something else, I can say:

Please provide the *exact* address you entered, including house number. Otherwise, I have to close this.

2 days later, and it is either fixed or not identified. I almost never even reach this level of "mulberry bush." Mostly, I get ignored, I don't let it get to me, and I just close them out after that "Hi, again!" warning.
qwaletee
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby qwaletee » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:48 pm

olestas wrote:We had an editor, who started cutting the road with bridge and adding segment named "bridge" there...

I actually did that twice in the last last week in my area. One was consistent with local usage, and was needed due to a confusion of streets joining on each side. The other was an "official" but unsigned bridge name. It was needed because otherwise, the bridge above and street below wold have shared a name, and likely got a few drivers lost

Otherwise, I agree, caling out bridges is overkill. Some drivers will complain if you don't, other drivers will complain if you do. Most will have no problem either way.
qwaletee
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby qwaletee » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:34 am

goimir wrote:
qwaletee wrote:I actually did that twice in the last last week in my area. One was consistent with local usage, and was needed due to a confusion of streets joining on each side. The other was an "official" but unsigned bridge name. It was needed because otherwise, the bridge above and street below wold have shared a name, and likely got a few drivers lost

Otherwise, I agree, caling out bridges is overkill. Some drivers will complain if you don't, other drivers will complain if you do. Most will have no problem either way.

That's the custom in Pittsburgh. Roads don't usually keep the same name over bridges (s 10th str does, but none others do), and they're all either named or called "[name of street] bridge"

The only case I know of in Pittsburgh where the disambiguation actually does something is 31st street, where 31st actually continues underneath the 31st street bridge. But then again, this is a town where US Truck 19 is concurrent with itself for a few hundred yards.

Sent from my SGH-I927 using Tapatalk

Truck 19 Links?
qwaletee
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby qwaletee » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:27 am

qwaletee wrote:
olestas wrote:We had an editor, who started cutting the road with bridge and adding segment named "bridge" there...

I actually did that twice in the last last week in my area. One was consistent with local usage, and was needed due to a confusion of streets joining on each side. The other was an "official" but unsigned bridge name. It was needed because otherwise, the bridge above and street below wold have shared a name, and likely got a few drivers lost

I've gotten an out of band request to clarify what I meant here. I am pointing out that there are some situations where you may want to change the naming of a bridge segment so that routing is clearer, but otherwise, it usually is not worth it. In my case, I had two such situations.

1) https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=6&lat ... s=63424675
Bridge is part of Greenpoint Ave, which spans the Newton Creek between Queens and Brooklyn. The official name of the bridge is J J Byrne Memorial Bridge, but it isn't signed (or at leats not very visibly), and noboyd calls it that -- they call it Greenpoint Ave or Greenpoint Ave Bridge. Segment was previously called Greenpoint Ave, which was OK by itself. The problem is that there was a Greenpoint Ave that only ran to the eastern bank before there was a bridge, and so it continues to exist, below the bridge on each side, and is still called Greenpoint Ave. This can cause hard to follow routing instructions, so I named the starting segment of the eastern side of the bridge with the official naming. Anyone coming form the preceding segments on that side will not be confused, because it is obviously a bridge (the roadway rises steeply), and there will be no confusion with the roadways to the side anymore, especially since I also renamed THOSE Greenpoint Ave Outer Road, a naming convention used in many places in Waze for NYC.

2) https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=6&lat ... s=33539612
The bridge is also officially named as I entered into Waze, and is also not signed. The adjacent segments make it confusing. Grand St and Metropolitan Ave come together in order to cross the bridge. The bridge itself is inline with Grand St, and Metropolitan dog-legs its way into a sport of concurrency with Grand over the bridge. Traffic to Grand in one direction is briefly diverted to Metropolitan, because Gran becomes one way to prevent multiple lane crossovers. To leave it without the word bridge in the name could cause confusion because of the twisty way the roads join. If you go through all the use cases for driving the bridge, it is best named with a unique name for the bridge segment.

So the above two cases point to sometimes using a name change when a stretch of road runs over a bridge. In both cases, it happens to follow official naming, which is almost irrelevant. I would have put bridge in there even if it was not the official name, to avoid confusing instructions to drivers.

But in most cases, this wouldn't be true. Unless the bridge segment is noticeably signed, there's no reason at all to change the name of the segments over the bridge, and even if it is signed, it may add no benefit.
qwaletee
Map Raider
Map Raider

PreviousNext

Return to Waze Map Editor