Gas prices feature: everything you need to know

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Gas prices feature: everything you need to know

Postby stevesalf » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:38 pm

When I try to update the Gas Price in on My Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini (GT-I8190N) with upto date OS Android 4.1.2 sometimes (more often than not) the App crash's when entering the digit's.

On another matter - the App often starts up and resets to km when I switch to Miles...

Any advice would help tremendously... thanks :-)
No longer active Editor - Level 3 - Technical Engineer with iPhone 6 (V8.1.3) - VW CC R TYPE, Honda CBR1100XX, Ducati Multistrada 1200 S
stevesalf

Postby CrackedLCD » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:41 am

Are there any updates on the stability of the back end for gas prices? I did an 80 mile round trip today and was only able to report about 8 prices or of 64 stations. Most of the time it just failed outright ("Could not download data") or failed to locate the nearest station. A few times it lost GPS. Other times the station would come up but it would error out "Sorry could not update prices."

That last error, I might add, fails to post prices or award points but still counts against the five entries in five minutes limit, which is super stupid.

I also really wish they'd fix that massive lie where it says "network error" now after posting five prices successfully. They're purposely breaking it to limit submissions... There is no real error!

At least let me keep entering corrected prices even if you limit the points. That's fair!

Sent from my Droid DNA using Tapatalk 4
~CrackedLCD
AM for Baldwin-Mobile Cos., AL // Grenada-LeFlore-Carroll Cos., MS // Escambia-Santa Rosa Cos., FL // CM for the USA

Moto Droid Turbo (Android 5.1) on Verizon Wireless
CrackedLCD
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby maantje76 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:57 am

4 types is allready hard to update. A fifth is almost impossible without a stop at each gasstation. So a few fueltypes will be skipped. With the current 4 fueltypes, in the Netherlands 2 are ignored regulaly.

With other words, without an external feed for prices, it will not be very accurate I think.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
maantje76
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby Morphlin » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:49 am

Hi,

Just wondering if there are any plans to enable Canadian users to input cost by liters?

Right now, we have to convert the prices per liters shown to a price per us galon in order for waze to accept it. Funny enough, the price in Canada is so high, waze will sometime not accept the converted value as it is not "realistic".

Thanks.
ImageImage
Morphlin

Postby CrackedLCD » Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:10 am

I didn't realize Waze had a price limit it would accept. A while back I submitted a station selling ethanol free for $4.549 a gallon when the same station had regular for $3.339... It didn't balk. And I'm pretty sure I accidentally put a price in at six dollars and it took that as well.

Sent from my Droid DNA using Tapatalk 4
~CrackedLCD
AM for Baldwin-Mobile Cos., AL // Grenada-LeFlore-Carroll Cos., MS // Escambia-Santa Rosa Cos., FL // CM for the USA

Moto Droid Turbo (Android 5.1) on Verizon Wireless
CrackedLCD
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby kodi75 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:45 pm

(1) How do I mark a gas station as temporarily "closed?" The Maryland House rest area on I-95 has been closed for months! (Due to open in the late Spring 2014). Someone keeps updating the gas prices every day.

(2) in the app, this gas station is referenced as "White Marsh Gas" while in the editor (and on the ground) it's a Crown.

[edit]
I did a futher search and found this possible answer
sketch wrote:
russblau wrote:FYI, I changed the brand to "Unbranded" and the name to "Temporarily Closed", and moved the old name into the Description field.

I'd recommend changing the brand to [blank]. Choosing "Unbranded" will make Waze show "Unbranded" in the report prices list. Choosing [blank] will show "Temporarily closed" when a user tries to report prices. One is straightforward, one is confusing.
Last edited by kodi75 on Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kodi75
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby porubcan » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:53 pm

For the 1st one put N/A for all prices. As they have no prices listed on sign, I wonder someone put price for it.

For 2nd ask Orit (orit@waze.com) for fix

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Image Image Image
SK Country Coordinator, SK Country Manager, Global Champ, Android Beta Tester
Waze 4.5.0.1 on HTC One M9, Android 6.0 @ white Škoda Octavia RS Combi
porubcan
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby petervdveen » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:33 pm

porubcan wrote:For the 1st one put N/A for all prices. As they have no prices listed on sign, I wonder someone put price for it.

I would just remove it from the editor, or change the name to 'ClOSED'.
But removing it is the easiest, I guess.
petervdveen
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby porubcan » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:35 pm

petervdveen wrote:
porubcan wrote:For the 1st one put N/A for all prices. As they have no prices listed on sign, I wonder someone put price for it.

I would just remove it from the editor, or change the name to 'ClOSED'.
But removing it is the easiest, I guess.

I'm not sure, but are US gas stations handled the same way like ROTW? In past they surely weren't and GS database was not linked with landmark DB.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Image Image Image
SK Country Coordinator, SK Country Manager, Global Champ, Android Beta Tester
Waze 4.5.0.1 on HTC One M9, Android 6.0 @ white Škoda Octavia RS Combi
porubcan
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:52 pm

porubcan wrote:I'm not sure, but are US gas stations handled the same way like ROTW? In past they surely weren't and GS database was not linked with landmark DB.

Not sure about exactly how they are handled in ROW, but the US gas station landmarks are what are used for updating prices in the US. This was enabled April 14, 2013.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 10.1.1 | Waze v4.14
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App