These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

Android waze 2.0.3.0 quits when screen blanks

Post by RonV42
I have the Motorola Backflip running the final 2.1 upgrade from AT&T / Motorola. I usually run waze in the background when I commute. But now since the 2.1 upgrade waze quits when the screen times out and goes blank. When I wake it up the waze icon is still in the notification area but when you select it or the waze icon from the app tray or the shortcut waze restarts with the option to send the logs.

Now I can go from app to app with waze in the background with no issue as long as the screen doesn't time out. Any one else seeing this? I have turned debugging on just in case there may be a fix.

Thanks.
RonV42
Area Manager
Area Manager

POSTER_ID:723660

Send a message
Android • Area Manager: Hoffman Estates, IL and surrounding areas of Northwest Suburbs of Chicago area
Motorola Backflip 2.1 (J_R0DD preclair 1.6)

Post by CTCNetwork
Hi,

Currently running on a HTC Desire Z with Android 2.2 and have just recently been prompted to upgrade to Waze 2.0.3

Upgrade went Ok and bar one issue (not recording new roads correctly) is working fine. Installed to the memory card and remains installed there following the upgrade.
I would note, however, that my MC is a class 6 16Gb card and not the original card supplied with the phone. Don't know whether the card speed will affect how the app runs.

Des. . . ;)
CTCNetwork
Send a message

Post by leighjam
I have had a problem with FC and Waze for almost 4 months now.

I have a Backflip running 2.1 Official. Waze would FC everytime Waze was not in the foreground (i.e. screen blank, switch to email etc.) On restart it would be slow and unresponsive.

I then upgraded my Backflip to a "deblurred" Android 2.1 ROM (i.e. no MotoBlur services) Waze got a LOT snappier but did not fix the FC issue.

In addition the FC seems to throw the ability for the phone to get a GPS lock. Switching on and off the airplane mode seems to help 60% of the time. But regardless, getting a GPS lock is often a slow process even standing still in a field.

Also even with full bars of 3G, Waze has trouble connecting to the network.

As much fun as Waze is in getting candy and such, it's become almost unusable as a navigation tool. I have Google Nav and it works GREAT.

Any tips to fix these issues especially the FC. They drive me CRAZY.
leighjam
Send a message
Motorola Backflip GINtech Android 2.1
Area Manager For Weatherly

Post by MagicOfLA
I've been seeing this since... well since I started using waze on Android, which is almost 2 month ago. :)

I'm not sure whether it's already reported as a bug though...

M.
MagicOfLA
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5
Send a message

Post by MagicOfLA
I came back to this forum after a while and to my surprise can see no more posts.
Does this mean that the moving from the sdcard to the phone memory helped to solve the problem? Or is there some other workaround?

Cause I have my application in the phone memory and it keeps crashing when the phone goes to sleep. Which is for example when I accept the call via BT handsfree.
It helps a bit to disable the sleep while on charger, the application doesn't crash but it still looses server connectivity while on phone (and thus traffic is not updated and no milleage points given ;) ).

M.
MagicOfLA
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5
Send a message

Post by MagicOfLA
I've just checked out the new beta (2.0.99.109), the problem remains...
MagicOfLA
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5
Send a message

Post by RonV42
Nope doesn't matter if the waze is on SD card (APPS2SD) or main memory...Still terminates when the screen blanks...
RonV42
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
Android • Area Manager: Hoffman Estates, IL and surrounding areas of Northwest Suburbs of Chicago area
Motorola Backflip 2.1 (J_R0DD preclair 1.6)

Post by support
Hi Guys,

Generaly we recommand installing Waze on the phone memory and not on the memory card.

Regards,
Corin
support
Waze Team
Waze Team
Send a message

Post by tmitche2
I was having an issue like that recently since going to 2.0.2.9 and 2.0.3.0 I decided yesterday to move it back from the SD card to the phone. Its seems to run better on the phone then on the SD card.
tmitche2
Send a message