Change in editing points

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Change in editing points

Postby karlcr9911 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:54 am

I agree with leaving the points as-is and focusing more on giving more candies/points to drivers to encourage more use. I feel that if there were move regular accumulation of candies (rewards for using the app) there would be greater use of the app. I'm in north east Texas and do not see a lot of Wazers on the map too often so I think this would be advantageous to focus more on additional rewards instead of taking them away and messing with the current point system.
karlcr9911
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:31 pm

I added a note to the Bonus Point template in the Wiki to reflect this is changing and current information is in the forums. Once we are sure this is all finished we can make the updates
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:32 pm

argus-cronos wrote:Didn't they change the edit bonus already:

Shirli wrote:UPDATE (November 25):
the first step in the process is complete:
All edits from now are credited with 3 points. The candy is withheld.
In the upcoming days we will reimburse editors who didn't take all the candies with all the missing points. After it's done we will re-enable the candy with the new parameters - 300 points per 3000 edits. Regarding more gaming stuff for drivers - I informed the product team that there's a huge demand for this and they will check what can be done

I saw the note from that time, but since it changed a few times since the thread started I did not want to presume it was final. If the group believes we are done with those changes we can make it permanent. I have not been tracking my points in a long time, so I don't know if the bonus candies are being implemented yet. By that math is looks like you net 3.1 points per edit after you collect the bonus.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kodi75 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:10 pm

memorgan1 wrote:when you spend all the TIME it takes to help and correct these MAP ERRORS by being rewarded with points. [..] Please DONT take away incentives!

There needs to be greater incentive to solving UR's. It is quite time-consuming to attempt to contact the original reporter. However given that many metropolitan areas remain covered with orange and red balloons there seems to be little interest.
kodi75
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby kodi75 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:31 am

Still, taking the time to reach out to the OP (if their message doesn't provide enough information to find the problem) should be worth more than doing a "wq" on random junctions, as some would do just to gain points.
kodi75
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby kodi75 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:17 pm

Maybe you could bring this up in your annual meeting (or sooner)?

Thanks.
kodi75
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby krikketdoug » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:59 am

I've been reading this thread for a while and not commenting because I'm a relative newbie and still absorbing the culture. And I know conditions near me aren't the same as they are world-wide, so my experience with Waze may be dramatically different than users in other areas.

If I'm going to make a change/edit to the map, I visit the place in person, even if I've been there before. (That doesn't apply to bug fixes, that doesn't always apply. I don't have to visit a place in person to see that a junction isn't joined correctly in the system. The map isn't the territory.)

I'm seeing comments here about how easy it is to rack up edits, and 1,000 edits per day... And comments about how Google Maps errors are being brought into Waze because people aren't checking things out in person.

On the flip side, I'm seeing people say how editors shouldn't have to drive to get points. And hey, if they know the area well enough (and there are some places outside of the area I'm allowed to edit that I know well enough to do so, I just haven't been there in the last 3 months via car) then more power to them.

But overall I think linking the ability to edit to where you've driven recently is a very good thing!

I just wonder HOW some people can rack up that many legitimate edits a day. I"m not saying they can't, as conditions around the globe are very different, and my area is very well mapped. And to be honest, I like it like that. It means I'm getting some damned good data on my GPS.

As for the candies, I've been waiting for a few for a while. But on another current thread, it's been shown to be a bug that's being worked on. But after that, I'll probably get no more except through edits for months, if not longer. So to help encourage the drivers, I'd like to propose a "Driving for X days in a row" candy, possibly located off the main route. Sure, I might miss a few because I'm short on time and on the way to work, but I think it might help encourage the drivers, which is where Waze get's it's data.

It's just a thought. And an opinion. It's like something else... Everyone has one. I might even be wrong, who knows? I just thought I'd throw this out there for the general reaction.
krikketdoug

Postby krikketdoug » Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:01 am

Yeah, they said they are working on a bug. When they are complete, the points will reappear.

My point haven't updated in 3 days, and haven't received a couple of the candies I qualify for. When they do, I'll get my shield and 2nd level editor) after I submit the request... But I don't sweat it because from a practical standpoint of what I can do it makes virtually no difference, and things will catch up in time.
krikketdoug

Postby krikketdoug » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:49 pm

AndyPoms wrote:
Snakebite625 wrote:Map updates number hasn't changed for over 10 days...

http://status.waze.com/2013/11/19/intl- ... nts-delay/ & http://status.waze.com/2013/11/25/intl- ... us-update/

Silly question... In this context does IL stand for Israel or Illinois?
krikketdoug

Postby krikketdoug » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:04 am

Snakebite625 wrote:IL stands for Israel. ;)

As a country code, yes. I'm asking in context of this post, as it's been almost 5 days since I'e seen an update in points/edits. And yes, I happen to be in Illinois, USA.

I know it will happen eventually, so I'm not worried about it. But since this is the first time map edits have taken more than 24 hours to hit the client, since I started editing, I got curious... (4+ days in this case.)
krikketdoug

PreviousNext

Return to Waze Map Editor