Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to discuss editing specifically related to house numbering (addresses): how to optimize locations, set stop-points, etc.

Any sourcing ideas?

Post by Machete808
I am currently in a forum discussion on Google Maps about why their API doesn't function well with hyphenated addresses that are very common where I live. Not quite at the point of despair there, but I've decided it's a better use of my time to work toward the day when Waze uses its own database for address lookups.

SO: Although the imports have populated most of the subdivisions here, I've been looking for house numbering schemes in online documentation for new housing developments. Anyone have any suggestions for public sources of house numbers (other than visiting each street, that is)?
Machete808
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

POSTER_ID:7710950

Send a message
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/on9 ... i.png?dl=0https://www.dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s ... x.png?dl=0
U.S. Local Champ
Hawaii State Manager
California State Manager
Country manager, U.S.
Welcome, new editors:
Here's a good place to start!

Post by OscarC
troyv is correct. I have good luck just web searching "<county name> <state> GIS", and it will usually pull up a local government page that will allow you to access an interactive GIS map. Generally they are used for property searches and tax information, and that includes the property address.

So far, at least in Minnesota, this has given me good addresses in 90% of the counties I try. Most of the time they are also a good reference for roads, road names and city/township borders, including newer development that doesn't appear on Google Maps or other sources. Some counties just don't do it online though so then you have to use maybe a post office listing or something else. Unfortunately the maps are not standardized and some are easier to use and/or more informative than others.
OscarC
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/6/65/W ... tc-sig.png https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/a/aa/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze v3.7.6.0, iPhone 4S - Verizon - iOS 7.0.4
Minnesota-based US Country Manager

Post by qwaletee
OscarC wrote:troyv is correct. I have good luck just web searching "<county name> <state> GIS", and it will usually pull up a local government page that will allow you to access an interactive GIS map. Generally they are used for property searches and tax information, and that includes the property address.

So far, at least in Minnesota, this has given me good addresses in 90% of the counties I try. Most of the time they are also a good reference for roads, road names and city/township borders, including newer development that doesn't appear on Google Maps or other sources. Some counties just don't do it online though so then you have to use maybe a post office listing or something else. Unfortunately the maps are not standardized and some are easier to use and/or more informative than others.
That's not entirely consistent state to state and even county to county.

You also have to look out for subtle definition issues. For example, lot number does not always equate to house number, and if the county database or map shows lots without addresses, you may end up transferring very bogus information onto the map.
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues

Post by techguy9707
I found many of real estate sites have lot and house number, even before the homes are built.

Zillow.com is the one I used recently. The lot is listed before the home is built. I see Oahu has good coverage in Zillow.
techguy9707
Send a message
Attachments

Post by troyv
I don't think that Zillow (which I believe uses Bing maps) is a legitimate source for road/address data. Most local government web sites have GIS data / maps that you can gather information from.
troyv
Send a message