Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by kat4rolling-
willyps wrote:Preferred language should be the local one. Though roads should have the name of the street whether it's English or Spanish.
Wazers, please keep with the recommendation. The whole point of editing the names of the street is for the user to have an easy ride. It doesn't matter if its english or spanish, what matters is that the road signs and the map names coincides.
kat4rolling-
Send a message

Post by Kylan7
Wisin3 wrote:
WeeeZer14 wrote:I am the regional coordinator for the south-east US which includes Puerto Rico. I can help with locks as needed. (Warning: I don't know Spanish though)
Hi. I would like to know if you could take care of this "issue". Many streets in this permalink are locked by some "abusive" user, which is Level 3 editor (called LouisPR). Though, the streets are incomplete, no names, and wrong driving directions... I am trying to change driving directions and/or adding roads but it is impossible for me. Thanks a lot whit any help about this. Thanks!!

Permalink:
https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=4&lat ... TTTTTTTTFT
I want to join Wisin3 in this request. I too have encounter problems with this "LouisPR" locking up streets without reason.
Kylan7
Send a message

Post by muchomac
Hello gang. I am a level 3 editor on the island.

1- Yes, I do have the same Freeway versus Highway questions. I recently started changing portions of PR-1 to be minor highway, while other portions are still primary street. Example, when PR-1 gets to the center of Caguas it becomes a very small street... while not even being the main street for this town.
Same thing with PR-30 (not sure if it should be labeled as a Freeway or as a Mayor or Minor Highway. See, PR-1 does have traffic lights throughout... PR-30 does not. Both will cross between towns of course, but you can't leave the island through them (as an interstate would when crossing states).

2- Also, I see people now starting to mark neighborhoods (Urbanizacion) with the Landmark tool. It is annoying for the editor when we need to change street or add/edit other landmarks inside that huge landmark. But, it is a good tool for the traveler looking for specific neighborhoods by name.

See, our street names don't mean much since they are repeated over and over again in every single town. I lived in the states for 13 years and was used to finding streets easily since a street name with be unique per town. In Puerto Rico most neighborhoods will just have basic street names like Calle 1 and Calle 2 or Calle A and Calle B. This is repeated on every single town many many times. In my barrio I found many separate streets named after the original owner of the land... repeatedly. Gets annoying. So, we can't really ask the system to show me directions to a street name. So we depend more on neighborhood names or landmarks. I can ask Waze to take me to a school by name, and if someone has landmarked that school I will find my way.

3- As a traveller that needed to visit many unknown schools throughout the island at one point, I became obsessed with finding a school using a given address. You see, the actual address in most cases was for a primary street that would cross the whole island from north to west. A house or building is not assigned an actual house address, but it is identified first by the kilometer and hectometer where that land is located within a street. So a school with the address of PR-789 Km 34.6 would make me take out Google Maps and measure kilometers from the starting point of that street to see where Km 34.6 would be located. This would take a lot of time, but at least I was almost always able to find a street.

Now, if Waze could have those measurements done, or some way to have flags or map points for the kilometers of different landmarks, it would help the traveler a big deal.

And to the other map editors who are not level 2 or 3 yet but have put many hours to the cause, you can request an upgrade if you have plenty of map editing credits. I used to be at level 1 just a few months ago.
muchomac
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by muchomac
Greeting to all,

I found this section of a ramp locked by a "staff" member. Every month I see someone reporting a problem on that intersection, but it can't be fixed because of this lock.

Can someone from the Waze staff take care of this, please?

Thanks in advance.

https://www.waze.com/editor/?lon=-66.04 ... s=62813240
muchomac
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by muchomac
True. Hope everyone is doing great.
I stopped visiting the map editor sometime last year after a few months of intense editing.
If a MapRaid is supposed to be intense for a limited time, then I can join in.
I used to have full access to the whole island, but I lost it after no login for a number of months.
We do have more people using Waze than last summer, but do not know how many local editors are active.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
muchomac
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by Nimbus-
txemt wrote:Puerto Rico is in the queue for a mapraid. I don't know what the date is, though.
Awesome. Count me in ;)
Nimbus-
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message
Last edited by Nimbus- on Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post by Nimbus-
cotero2002 wrote:A Map Raid in Puerto Rico will be helpful and I will participate, but having participated in two recent map raids in the US, I can tell a map raid here will have some challenges to the raiders and organizers like:

The limited quality and outdated aerial views of the island. As well as local government resources.

Even when we are not supposed to use components of Google such as "Google Maps" and "Street Views", these components are somewhat limited for Puerto Rico and in some cases nonexistent.

There is no formal "Place Harmonization" rules to standarize how and when a place is to be mapped or not. We should start to elaborate a list of the kind and type of places and how to represent them (point / area) in the map. Maybe we can adopt the rules from any other state, as it is faster copying a good idea than inventing a bad one.

There is no Wiki Page for Puerto Rico

Do not expect 100% of the communications be in english language.

Do not get me wrong, if the Map Rais becomes a reality I'll be there. I point out only some details of the reality of Waze in Puerto Rico, which thanks to the efforts of those who have been or were part of the "Puerto Rico Project" have greatly improved the map but much remains to be done.

Regards
Looks like the MapRaid is happening. Feel free to signup using that form.
Nimbus-
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by txemt
As of today, I have become the new Regional Coordinator for Puerto Rico. I will post something later tonight (when I have more time). I will also address your road unlocks later tonight. I'm firing this off as I have one foot out of the door. I should be back home around 8pm EST and have no problem with unlocking roads, unless someone beats me to them. I'm also looking for area managers, as there are none on the island.
txemt
Send a message
Just wazeting my time to help you waze your route smoothly.

Post by txemt
Just this once, they've been painstakingly unlocked. You can use the "select whole street" tab and select multiple segments to be unlocked instead of one at a time. It makes it easier for you and for anyone who's unlocking them.
txemt
Send a message

Post by txemt
Puerto Rico is in the queue for a mapraid. I don't know what the date is, though.
txemt
Send a message