This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.
Post by GizmoGuy411
I'm out of the loop for 12 hours. Alan and I both told Waze that "BUS" failed in several tests, and Alan told them of the "Saint vs Street" failures. So the request for corrections are in the loop.
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. based Global Champ Emeritus
U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
U.S. Great Lakes ARC: IL, IN, MI, OH, WI
(and past GLR RC)
AM: NW OH, NE IN, SE MI
Wiki Profile
Verizon: Google Pixel XL3 & iPad "3"

Post by GizmoGuy411
And for full disclosure, you can all blame me for the "NE" and "FM" oversights. I was over confident that they had been cross checked a long time ago against any conflicts.
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
(and past GLR RC)
Wiki Profile

Post by GizmoGuy411
Reminder. Don't forget to clear your TTS cache before you retest anything you are watching. Use cc@tts in your search box.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
(and past GLR RC)
Wiki Profile

Post by GizmoGuy411
syborg_sasquatch wrote:
CBenson wrote:But this ramp was enunciated "Exit right to exit to Maryland ... three ... eye ninety seven north ... Baltimore" for me.
Tested Samantha on a couple of exits on I-70 in MD and she enunciated Maryland with a pause afterward for me as well.

But Tom would not enunciate any exits with MD in the string. All I received was "In [distance], exit right."
Can you run with Tom again to see if he EVER uses street names? Beta client?

I have been running Samantha with the Android beta and she is regularly losing street names. No discernible pattern to report it yet however.

We will report the MD issue once some other issues in the que are resolved.
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
(and past GLR RC)
Wiki Profile

Post by GizmoGuy411
vectorspace wrote:I've had more interaction with Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA) on road systems. A few things seem clear and would appreciate the following being done in the TTS spreadsheet.

(1) Remove ISR-xxx - Indian Service Route. This is archaic and not appreciated by the tribes.

(2) Add NTR-xxx Native Tribal Route. TR is used elsewhere as Township Road.
Alan.

Do we want to address this and the MD issue yet, or wait until the current items in the que are resolved? My last test of "BUS" still failed too.
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
(and past GLR RC)
Wiki Profile

Post by GizmoGuy411
PesachZ wrote:On April 27th this ramp to the I-87 S was pronounced "Keep left to eye 87 South, Maj Deegan Expressway, Manhattan, Queens". The Maj was not expanded into Major.
Thanks for the link.

Can you clear your TTS cache, and test this again in the next few days to see if anything changed again after the update Alan mentioned? If you can not get to it, let us know and we can try to test it remotely.
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
(and past GLR RC)
Wiki Profile

Post by GizmoGuy411
sketch wrote:Blah. LA-3021, which used to say ell eh thirty twenty one, now says "Louisiana (pause) thirty thirty one". I'm not happy about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
We need to discuss how we want these CAPITALIZED TWO LETTER abbreviations for the entities names for the U.S. States, Districts, Territories, Possessions, and Canadian Provinces to be pronounced. (Refereed to in this post collectively as "XX" abbreviations.)

Should "XX" be pronounced as the entity name or always as just the two letters?
(In the past, some were spoken as letters and others were attempted to be pronounced as a word. We would never want "XX" to be spoken as a word other than the proper name of the entity.)

Do we want it uniform for the entire NA or different for every entity?

Examples such as this BGS exist to demonstrate why entity name to be pronounced in full for the "XX" abbreviations:
2014-05-06_10h46_36.png
(60.91 KiB) Downloaded 626 times
Do we want [XX<space>] different than [XX-] ?
Example: "LA<space> could say "Louisiana" and "LA-" could say the letters "L" & "A".

Again, would we want that to be uniform for the entire NA or custom for each entity?

We recently had two specific "XX" abbreviations that were found to be problematic and have been reverted back to their previous TTS without any further considerations of position or punctuation yet:
- "NE" needed to remain "Northeast" instead of "Nebraska".
- "FM" needed to remain "Farm to Market" instead of the "Federated States of Micronesia"

The entire list of these "XX" abbreviations need to be reviewed again to identify others that may also be problematic that we may have missed. (As mentioned before, I personally missed "NE" and "FM" when I reviewed them a couple years ago.)

These "XX" abbreviations start at around line 800 in the Big TTS Test List.

After some initial discussion, we may want to move this discussion to its own topic.
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
(and past GLR RC)
Wiki Profile

Post by GizmoGuy411
Some progress.

My tests today confirmed that the recent changes by Waze for "BUS", now say "Business" as we requested.

Tests were performed AFTER clearing the TTS cache. Initially Samantha did not speak street names. After switching to Tom, and then back to Samantha, she spoke street names correctly again.

Please do not report any TTS errors unless you clear your cache first and confirm that the voice uses street names.
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
(and past GLR RC)
Wiki Profile

Post by GizmoGuy411
I'll try to set up some tests to see if there has been any changes.

Did you clear your cache before hearing the above results?

Can you send a Permalink for the above segment? If you do not want it public, you are welcome to PM it to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
(and past GLR RC)
Wiki Profile

Post by GizmoGuy411
PesachZ wrote:This ramp segment named "to I-87 N / I-278 E / Bronx / Upstate NY / New England" is being pronounced as "... Eye two seventy eight east <short pause> Bronx <short pause> Upstate New York comma New England"
syborg_sasquatch wrote:
syborg_sasquatch wrote:
syborg_sasquatch wrote:Tom:
Samantha also inserts the word "comma" between "Virginia" and "Frederick" instead of a pause.
I have another example of the "comma" phenomenon when "VA / " is in the street name string.

to I-95 / I-495 Beltway S / Richmond, VA / Andrews AFB. This one states "...Richmond {pause} Virginia comma Andrews AFB"
The problem seems to be anytime a State abbreviation is followed by a "space slash space", that a "comma" will be spoken before the following word.

Until we can get Waze to fix this, a temporary fix is to add an additional space after the slash. (Note that WME Validator will then report that the extra space is an issue.)

I've already updated the example above for New York, and am waiting for test results.

A temporary fix to this issue is to insert an addition space
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
(and past GLR RC)
Wiki Profile