Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
You MUST read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before posting here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate WME version release thread found in the Waze Map Editor forum (parent of this forum).

Forum rules
You MUST read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before posting here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze Map Editor forum (parent of this forum).

Add phonetic spelling option for better Text to Speech

Post by ryanzombieslayer
I would like to have a phonetic spelling option added to the map editor so that the text to speech engine can properly pronounce landmarks properly. Local editors should be able to update streets and city names using phonetic spelling to match local pronunciation. Waze should default to the proper spelling, but if a phonetically spelled name exists, it should override the default.

iPhone's now have the ability to add phonetic spelling for contacts. Seems like the same feature should be able to be applied to the voice navigation..?
ryanzombieslayer

POSTER_ID:10597692

Send a message

Post by alexs001
Along with this, an instant preview of how it will sound would be most welcome.
alexs001
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 9
Send a message
Local Champ: Canada
Area Manager: Okanagan Valley, BC / Newfoundland and Labrador

https://s.waze.tools/c6.png https://s.waze.tools/s0500.png

Post by alexs001
How would this work for someone using an 'out of market' voice? i.e. I live in Canada and use a UK voice, or sometimes a German or Spanish voice when I feel like it. Different voices have their own pronounciation rules. Would we all have to learn the phonetics alphabet? How do you type that upside down 3 or a я without changing keyboard layouts?
alexs001
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 9
Send a message
Local Champ: Canada
Area Manager: Okanagan Valley, BC / Newfoundland and Labrador

https://s.waze.tools/c6.png https://s.waze.tools/s0500.png

Post by dbraughlr
A lot of consonants can be omitted from the pronunciation of words which are French or British in particular. How would you write Knee, Colonel, Wednesday, Worcester, Versailles, Bordeaux, Champagne, Louisiana, and numerous others?

The whole point of having a phonetic spelling is because many names are not pronounced the way they are spelled.

Entering a malicious pronunciation is no different from other vandalism. Anyone who vandalizes and gets caught will be banned.

I would be more interested in how you will solve questions like the correct pronunciation for a place like Baltimore, New Orleans, or many others.
dbraughlr
Send a message
Ѭ

Post by debusskans
I think this is also needed for mis-interpreted abbreviations. I have a nearby road that is entered as "Culebra Rd St Mary's Univ" which of course she pronounces as "Street Mary's Univ".

It is beneficial to maintain the text on the roadsigns, but editors need to let the voice navigation know what to say.
debusskans
Send a message

Post by frankhewes
This would be very handy with places like Worchester, MA, USA, which is pronounced closer to Wooster, or Wuster.
frankhewes
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by halfvolstruis
I like this idea -- we have names in three or four languages here -- I think that one of the possible concerns is the vast scope for vandalism, with the phonetic spelling being something entirely different to the original word. "Turn right into stupid stupid stupid avenue". A few basic checks that the consonants appear in the same order, and without too many omissions would pretty much eliminate that problem.
halfvolstruis
Send a message

Post by knightem
Phonetic pronunciation provided by map editors would be really beneficial.

Seems like a user could suggest a phonetic pronunciation (for example, Lampasas should be lampassas, not lampahsas.) Have a way to preview what your suggested phonetic pronunciation would sound like. If you like it, submit it. Have other editors have the option to vote up the suggested pronunciation. If it receives X votes, it replaces the TTS version.

If there are regional differences (like, New Orleans), seems like multiple pronuncations could be suggested, and the vote battle would take care of which one should be used. Whatever one most people want to hear.
knightem
Send a message

Post by sketch
dbraughlr wrote:I would be more interested in how you will solve questions like the correct pronunciation for a place like Baltimore, New Orleans, or many others.
Hah. Well, there are some things which can be solved easy—like, it's definitely not pronounced "Esplanahhhhde". We can worry about the subtleties like "Bur-GUN-dy" and "CAL-li-ope" later.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by uscwaller
debusskans wrote:I think this is also needed for mis-interpreted abbreviations. I have a nearby road that is entered as "Culebra Rd St Mary's Univ" which of course she pronounces as "Street Mary's Univ".

It is beneficial to maintain the text on the roadsigns, but editors need to let the voice navigation know what to say.
Street and Saint have two different abbreviations. Street is St and Saint is St. notice the difference. Here is the wiki for US abbreviations https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Abbreviation ... ronyms/USA
uscwaller
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message