Vehicle types/ Navigation types

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Vehicle types/ Navigation types

Postby foxitrot » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:54 pm

fvwazing wrote:... we will be lucky if trucks, cabs and more are actually supported before this thread is one year old.

[edit]
Aw sh*t, this thread IS one year old.

:grin:
...with the good old crashing :roll: Symbian 2.1.99.114 (N-E52), while
trying to get used to the good new social Android 4.0.xx.yyy (OP-X LOL-a-popp).
foxitrot
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby DubPi » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:01 am

I have an pull behind RV and with my Garmin GPS I can enter the length and the height of my vehicle and the gps will not tell me to make U-turns where I can't with a vehicle that large and it won't take me down below bridges that I can't pass under. It also avoids dirt and 4x4 roads where i could get easily stuck. A feature I would like to see is rating gas stations for maneuvering in RVs....sometimes it's a nightmare just getting gas. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DubPi

Postby Ben_Quart » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:31 pm

Walk: I think some times we could use to go from our car to our final destination walking.

I think it will be very easy to do: now we actually have pedestrian boardwalks type roads.

The only thing to do is to ignore forbidden directions and forbid using highways

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Comunidad de Madrid - España
iOS Waze version 4.3.0 // iPhone 5 iOS 9.2.1

Android Waze version 4.0.0.2 // Android Vers 5.0.2
Ben_Quart
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby alexs001 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:56 am

AndyPoms wrote:Country: USA (but I think this list can apply to all)

Vehicle Type: Truck
Associated Segment Flag: No Trucks
Notes: HOWEVER, this has to be implemented better than the "Toll Road" flag. It needs to be limited to 2nd level Area Managers (those with more than 100,000 edits) & Country Mangers. This is to prevent abuse because in the US, there are Roads that are "No Trucks" (think things like Parkways) & "No Thru Trucks" (Think residential streets - HOWEVER it is legal to drive a truck on these streets - just not legal to use it as a cut-through to get somewhere else). Regular users should not have access to this flag because everyone will be flagging the street they live on as "No Trucks" because no one likes trucks on their street. I also agree with Hypersky75 about further restrictions (weight, height, width, hazmat, etc) be awesome to have, but too complicated to handle.
Hypersky75 wrote:There is also the question of weight, size, and hazardous material restrictions, but I think that would be too complicated for now (unless you guys are up for it!).
The more truckers we can get on the service, the more data Waze will get simply based on the amount of hours/miles these drivers go in a given day. The truck mode could also differentiate between trucks slowing down on a hill (cars maintaining normal speed) and a traffic jam (all vehicle types slowing) - Maintaining a "Truck average speed" on these segments. This same exact system could also apply to RVs - most of which, based on height & weight and the fact some have airbrakes, technically qualify as Commercial Vehicles, but are exempt from all the DOT restrictions/licensing (a sore spot with truckers).
One problem I can see with restricting this to high-level editors, is that many of them will not have the specific knowledge as to which routes are approved for truck traffic. Perhaps editors should have to log miles as a truck before editing rights can be granted for these parameters. Of course, this introduces another whole layer of complexity to the user privileges system.
Area Manager: Okanagan Valley, BC
alexs001
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby ForestPhil » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:53 pm

Cars pulling trailers would be useful. In the UK these are required to go 10MPH below any speed of 60MPH or 70MPH.
ForestPhil

Postby DaineseMan » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:27 am

Vehicle type: motorcycles

I apologise if someone's mentioned my points in this thread, but, based on my experience, a motorcycle setting would be helpful for two reasons. Firstly, it would prevent the motorcyclist from reporting inaccurate traffic conditions when they are filtering though traffic. Secondly, it would prevent the motorcyclist from being unnecessarily rerouted around standstill traffic - something that can be very frustrating for me as a rider when I know I can filter past the traffic anyway.

As for the American states who have made filtering (or 'lane splitting' in local jargon) illegal, I cannot see the point of wanting to own a motorcycle in the first place if you can't take advantage of its smaller size. There is a safe manner in performing this manoeuvre, so instead of banning it completely, the Americans should rather educate their drivers to be more aware of the things around them (the level of driving in most states is atrocious as it is compared Western Europe) as well as training motorcyclists how to filter safely.
DaineseMan

Postby im_anca » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:19 am

Vehicle : Motorcycle

It would be great if waze can add it, in Indonesia the population of motorcycle is enormous
and many road (Jakarta) that have motorcycle restriction, and many small alley that only motorcycle can pass, so it will help us (motorcycle user) a lot..
im_anca

Postby DaveNorton » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:44 pm

I'm currently trying to figure out if there is a way to enter a request for a "commercial route" or "truck route". Shortly, I will be driving a truck (moving furniture, etc.) to Long Island from Maryland. And it would be nice to have Waze route me such that it avoids roads I am not permitted to drive on (parkways). I know most of these, but having Waze do it would be helpful.

So yes. Having a vehicle type of "Commercial" that Waze would use to refine its route calculation would be helpful.
DaveNorton

Postby AndyPoms » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:07 pm

DaveNorton wrote:I'm currently trying to figure out if there is a way to enter a request for a "commercial route" or "truck route". Shortly, I will be driving a truck (moving furniture, etc.) to Long Island from Maryland. And it would be nice to have Waze route me such that it avoids roads I am not permitted to drive on (parkways). I know most of these, but having Waze do it would be helpful.

So yes. Having a vehicle type of "Commercial" that Waze would use to refine its route calculation would be helpful.

Not yet, but it's in the works. We recently got the ability to do vehicle type restrictions in the editor, but the client app & routing engine needs an update to work with vehicle types. The client updates aren't in beta testing yet, and we have not estimated time frame for it yet.
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby noney82 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:57 am

excuse me for being lazy and not reading all 19 pages of thread but... if i select 'car type' as a truck does that mean it uses routes that are truck friendly or is it just purely for illustration purposes?
noney82
Area Manager
Area Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App