Official Feedback Thread: Windows Phone v3.7.6

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Windows Phone v3.7.6 Official Feedback Thread

Postby gerben » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:13 pm

Is anybody on GDR3 yet? In the Beta forums some users reported that the battery drain was much less on GDR3.

I updated my Lumia to GDR3 today and will test the battery drain tomorrow.
Nokia Lumia 920 (WP8 3.7.6 client)
Countrymanager The Netherlands
ImageImageImageImage
gerben
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby BoxSoft » Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:31 pm

coinneach wrote:Why is there no integration with the People hub?

There is, to an extent:

1. Click on someone's address, it will take you to the map (not Waze's).
  2. Click on the "up arrow" icon to get directions. It shows a basic route on that map.
  3. Press the "right turn arrow" icon to launch a navigation app.
  4. Choose your desired app. My list shows Waze and HERE Drive+.

So it seems to be hooked in, just like Nokia HERE.

Mike
BoxSoft

Postby feldman-sean » Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:35 pm

Great application, but several drawbacks:

1. Crashing constantly when running in background or under locked screen - experience nose diving because of this
2. Terminates battery very quickly (not sure if this can be addressed)

Tested on Nokia 920
feldman-sean

Postby tjm276 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:21 am

This app is borderline useless in its current state. I tested this app on 2 1520s and 2 1020s. Both 1520s and one of the 1020s were on gdr3 Lumia black. Battery drain is profound on all models although a little less apparent on the 1520, presumably due to its massive battery. My dad was using this app today on his 920 while driving me and my wife to the airport and his phone went from 83% battery to 0% (phone shut down) in less than an hour. Something is very wrong here.
tjm276

Postby BoxSoft » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:42 pm

I concur that battery drain is bad on my 1020, but the 1020 is a battery hog, even not using Waze. The best I've managed (leaving my phone virtually untouched), the battery lasts only 26 hours. If I actually use my phone, then I'm lucky to get 10 hours out of it. If I use it heavily, I drain it in less than 4 hours. Even my old crappy iPhone4 was better in this regard (with a 3-year old battery).

If I'm using Waze, then the problem is obviously worse. With a 1-amp charger, Waze will drain the battery in about 3 hours. I've just gotten a 2-amp charger, so hopefully that's a bit better.

I'm really hoping that MS is able to tweak the OS to a more efficient battery user, and for Waze to improve it on their end as well.
BoxSoft

Postby Qyv42 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:08 am

BoxSoft wrote:There is, to an extent:

1. Click on someone's address, it will take you to the map (not Waze's).
  2. Click on the "up arrow" icon to get directions. It shows a basic route on that map.
  3. Press the "right turn arrow" icon to launch a navigation app.
  4. Choose your desired app. My list shows Waze and HERE Drive+.

So it seems to be hooked in, just like Nokia HERE.

Mike

Your steps above work, but unlike with the HERE apps, the actual directions don't seem to be getting passed in to Waze so that it generates a route. I always use the Search button on the phone to quickly find whatever location I'm looking for, then get directions via the WP maps app and then go to HERE Drive via the "right turn arrow" as you note above. With HERE Drive, the route is automatically generated if I do that, but with Waze, the app just launches and nothing else happens, so I have to do all searching from within Waze. This isn't a huge deal, but one of the cool things about Windows Phone is the ability to pin things like a contact to the Start screen - that way I have their contact info handy, and can also get directions to any address in that contact if needed. So it would be great if Waze could integrate with the WP maps app and get the directions handed off when Waze is launched from that entry point.
Qyv42

Postby markhs » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:11 am

BoxSoft wrote:I concur that battery drain is bad on my 1020, but the 1020 is a battery hog, even not using Waze. The best I've managed (leaving my phone virtually untouched), the battery lasts only 26 hours. If I actually use my phone, then I'm lucky to get 10 hours out of it. If I use it heavily, I drain it in less than 4 hours. Even my old crappy iPhone4 was better in this regard (with a 3-year old battery).

If I'm using Waze, then the problem is obviously worse. With a 1-amp charger, Waze will drain the battery in about 3 hours. I've just gotten a 2-amp charger, so hopefully that's a bit better.

I'm really hoping that MS is able to tweak the OS to a more efficient battery user, and for Waze to improve it on their end as well.

I think this is pretty much on Waze. I can run Navigon and other navigation apps and if plugged into a charger, they don't drain my battery. While using the same charger, Waze drains the battery in under an hour.
markhs

Postby PSonetwo » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:29 am

gerben wrote:Is anybody on GDR3 yet? In the Beta forums some users reported that the battery drain was much less on GDR3.

I updated my Lumia to GDR3 today and will test the battery drain tomorrow.

I am on a Lumia 520 that is on GDR3 (but not Nokia Black, using a Preview for Developers account). I do NOT experience any battery drain with Waze running while charging. It even charges up to 100% while Waze is running (at a rate around 35-55%/hr). Had it on for about 2 hours one drive. Did not get too warm and when I took it off the charger, it was at 100%.

Do not know what kind of charger I am using. All I know is it is a typical micro-USB to 12V outlet Walmart charger. I'll check the amps when I get a chance.

Otherwise this was my last remaining "wish-list" app coming from Android/iOS world to WP8!

EDIT: Requesting the use of a Live Tile option like the Android Widget. Something that can show current commute times to work/home (based on where I am at)
PSonetwo

Postby Sammy_boy » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:25 pm

Give just got a Lumia 925 and have this battery drain bug too, though not as bad as some. It's running the latest 'amber' firmware. Used it today for my 25 minute commute to work, plugged it into my 500Mah car charger. It went from 100% to 97% on my way to work, then 70% to 64% on my way home, charger used on both occasions. The phone got warm but no warmer than when used on my iPhone 4S or any Android device I've had with Waze.

Another thing I've noticed is the speedometer is a little glitchy - sometimes it varies over 10mph in the indicated speed despite me maintaining the same speed, the. It settles down after a few seconds.
Sammy_boy

Postby Gytrr1 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:07 pm

I have this installed on a Lumia 1020, and if not plugged into the Carcomm kit, the battery as mentioned will drain in less than an hour. However if plugged into the car kit, the screen becomes unbearably hot within 30 minutes, let alone the back of the phone closer to the CPU.

Having said that, Waze is also a battery hog on an iPhone 5 and makes it run warm as well (although not as warm). I have had to default back to the iPhone for Waze, which isn't my preferred option.

Is there any indication of when Waze will release a WP update to the store?
Gytrr1

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App