The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

House numbers: Streets with no name; addr is parent street

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Hello Editors,

Opinion and advice please regarding house numbers.

For a specific example, please see this permalink. The issue is this: the short roadway off of Roy Rogers Rd here is a publicly maintained road, which also happens to lead to an entrance to a wildlife refuge. On this road are three private residences. This road officially has no name, and the addresses of these houses are on Roy Rogers Rd. As you can see from the permalink, I have named this short road "Roy Rogers Rd" simply so that I could get one of the house addresses to work. Without naming it, Cartouche would reject the house number because there is no road name, and that makes sense.

In this case and others, and I have many examples of short roads and private roads off of which are multiple houses, is it an acceptable practice to name the road the same as the main road? I feel this makes sense for multiple reasons, not least of which is that proper routing to the exact address is way more accurate than leaving the house number out on the main street, leaving the driver to now figure out which house along the side "road" is the right one. Putting the house number in the right place will allow direct routing.

Thanks for any thoughts and advice.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

POSTER_ID:701618

Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Thanks for the sympathy. I don't really want to bother alpha with this, but perhaps I should. I just don't see another way to direct to the correct address, unless there is a way in the interface to have an address number on an unnamed street associated with a nearby road segment.

There are two street name fields in Cartouche when confirming/updating/creating house numbers, so maybe that will work. I'll try it.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by mapcat
I think you're handling it the proper way. It seems to be the default method of naming these roads in my area too.
mapcat
Send a message
CM, USA/Canada ∙ iPhone 5 ∙ iOS 7.1

Post by Seasider
Dude,
I feel your pain! I have several incidences of exactly the same thing in my managed area - new estates with roads I can only describe as trees (1 street with lots of little cul-de-sac branches coming off).
I have been and investigated a couple ' on the ground' and the branch roads aren't named but the property numbers are sequential with whats on the main road. These branches get named the same as the main road, so I'm right with you there.

Seasider
Area Manager - Lancashire UK
Moderator - UK Forum
Client - Dell Streak 16gb
Seasider
Send a message
Seasider

Sometimes, the light at the end of the tunnel, is just a train coming the other way!!!

Client - Samsung Galaxy S3 - Jellybean
AM - Lancs UK (most of)
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/Seasider1972
Emyther - waze.map.update.lancs@gmail.com