Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

Handsfree through bluetooth?

Post by
I made a post about activating the hands free through some other means than the 3 tap or hand hover but I have not been able to find a way to work it out. I have decided to move on since I have a trip coming up soon and will either mount my phone to my bike or just set the trip before hand... with that said tho:

I am using bluetooth speakers and mic through a motorcycle helmet. I am able to listen to music and activate Siri pretty well through the bluetooth device and my iPhone 4s. One problem that I am having is using bluetooth with Waze.

I am able to open the Waze app through Siri no problem. The trouble comes in when after activating the hands free on Waze, I can hear the prompt through my speakers, but I am unable to speak into the mic in my helmet to activate anything. If I hold the phone close enough it will pick up the sounds of my voice but this seems impractical. It seems like Waze is playing all the sounds through my bluetooth headphones in my helmet, but only taking commands via the mic on the phone.

Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks!

POSTER_ID:11684782

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Over BT, voice commands to Waze is nearly flawless for me. (When it was working.)
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
tecas777 wrote: Who chooses what's a priority I wonder, is it solely the programmers at Google? Do the decision makers come on the waze forums or are they approachable by some means?
Waze does, but uses community input to help guide decisions. However, most decisions are made by the product team, which is charged with deciding how the products should work and look. Waze is not google. There are few decisions google gets to force Waze to make (removing bing as a search provider was one), otherwise terms of the merger keep then separate.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AndyPoms
This is due to the combination of your specific device & your specific headset. There are many Bluetooth protocols, and not all devices/headsets support all protocols.

For me, using the same phone, but different Bluetooth headsets, one headset works for voice commands & the other doesnt. listening to the provided directions works fine on both.
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by AndyPoms
I don't know which protocols are needed.

My Jawbone Era works. My Plantronics headset does not.
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by dougweiser
Please resolve this... I am confirming the same problem and the desire to be able to use the feature. BT audio is fine (love to hear Elvis warning me of events ahead).... but the doesn't work at all.
dougweiser
Send a message

Post by EngHans
Is there a fix for this issue, I am having the mic problem when on a bluetooth device
EngHans
Send a message

Post by EngHans
Is there a fix for this issue, I am having the mic problem when on a bluetooth device
EngHans
Send a message

Post by GRAUPS
It seems like Waze is playing all the sounds through my bluetooth headphones in my helmet, but only taking commands via the mic on the phone.
I've encountered the exact same problem with a standard bluetooth headset. Has there been a solution found for this? Is a bluetooth microphone for controling waze's touchless control supported in the current release?
GRAUPS
Send a message

Post by GRAUPS
There are many Bluetooth protocols, and not all devices/headsets support all protocols.
Do you know which of the protocols is required? Which headset are you using that works? So that I can compare the specifications... Thanks!
GRAUPS
Send a message

Post by nMeans
My experience as well. The phone is mounted in a car dock, and I have to lean closer and shout at it to get it to pick up voice commands above the ambient noise in the car. If the car is parked and the motor off it works fairly well, but that's not the context in which voice commands are most important.

Most Bluetooth headsets employ fairly effective noise-cancelling technology. It seems a waste not to use the headset microphone if it is available, or at least to give the option to do so (along the lines of Settings / Sound / Route sound to speaker).
nMeans
Send a message