Chat tip: seeing other editors changes without permalinking

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderator: Unholy

Chat tip: seeing other editors changes without permalinking

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:49 am

This may be obvious and known to many, but in case not:

When you are working together with another editor and want to see the changes they just made, you may think you need to permalink. But that makes all the chat history disappear, and chat doesn't connect right away, etc. It's a pain.

Instead, just go to a nearby non-critical segment, and change a turn restriction twice. That is, take an allowed turn and restrict it, then allow it again. Save. The browser will load the segments from the server again without having to permalink.

(I am sure that scripters will soon have a "road layer refresh" function to perform this same action.)
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.3.2 | Waze v4.7.0.1
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Re: Chat tip: seeing other editors changes without permalink

Postby TonyTorrent » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:30 am

Thanks for posting this, I wasn't aware of it. And yeah, I'm one of those who didn't know this. :)
TonyTorrent

Postby BellHouse » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:21 am

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:When you are working together with another editor and want to see the changes they just made, you may think you need to permalink. But that makes all the chat history disappear, and chat doesn't connect right away, etc.

Instead, just go to a nearby non-critical segment, and change a turn restriction twice. That is, take an allowed turn and restrict it, then allow it again. Save. The browser will load the segments from the server again without having to permalink.

In my experience, the same effect is achieved easier by simply zooming in and out.
Global Champ / DACH Champ / CM Germany / Self-Management-Team Germany
BellHouse
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:22 am

BellHouse wrote:In my experience, the same effect is achieved easier by simply zooming in and out.

This can work, but isn't guaranteed because it depends on whether the objects selectable at that zoom levels are already cached in the browser.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby dbraughlr » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:38 am

Changing something works only for those who have privilege to edit in that area.
A road data refresh would be helpful in other scenarios including when there is a failure of the server to timely send the data.
Ѭ
dbraughlr

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:11 pm

dbraughlr wrote:Changing something works only for those who have privilege to edit in that area.

True, but most of the time it is a user of high rank helping a local editor with a local edit, so both will have rights to make this kind of change.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Mynios » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:01 am

Yesterday I had a few visitors at a mentoring session. So not always 1:1 shows. :mrgreen:
Mynios
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:58 pm

Mynios wrote:Yesterday I had a few visitors at a mentoring session. So not always 1:1 shows. :mrgreen:

I think global champs should set up and use some kind of screen sharing (free!?) and offer to show, visually, real-time. (I think that kind of functionality is beyond what should be in WME.)

Also, the road refresh functionality is built into Toolbox now, and also can be set up as a bookmarklet.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby sketch » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:29 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:I think global champs should set up and use some kind of screen sharing (free!?) and offer to show, visually, real-time. (I think that kind of functionality is beyond what should be in WME.)

This is a pretty cool idea.

Windows Remote Assistance is built into Windows and should work pretty easily for Windows-Windows connections, especially if both parties are using 7. Likewise, if both users are using OS X, Screen Sharing is built into the OS, and easy connections are possible via the Messages app. The benefit of these is that no external software is required.

Cross-platform is more difficult using remote tools. An OS X user looking to help on a Windows system can use Remote Desktop Connection, which comes with Office and uses the same protocol as Windows Remote Assistance but isn't so helpful because it needs to start a new session. A Windows user looking to help on an OS X system needs a 3rd-party VNC client, I believe, and some preferences changes and possibly network kung-fu to get it open, but there's no need to start a new session. For these, the benefit is that only the person helping might need to install external software. However, the new session requirement makes it much less helpful (can't jump right in), and the preferences changes needed for VNC may be too difficult.

I don't know much about using separate apps for screen sharing; CrossLoop was simple and free but it's been discontinued. Apparently Skype has free screen sharing; it requires sign up, but ostensibly it's at least something that a number of people already have.
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
new orleans based • detroit enthusiast • usa country manager
2013 ford focus titanium hatchback 5mt • performance blue
Image Image
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby foxitrot » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:39 pm

Having to share just the movement of a few junction / geometry nodes and map position and zoom values between WMEs would incure a lot less overhead. But I understand, it would have to be implemented.

Sent from a touch display, which took care of perfectly scrambling my thoughts.
...with the good old crashing :roll: Symbian 2.1.99.114 (N-E52), while
trying to get used to the good new social Android 4.0.xx.yyy (OP-X LOL-a-popp).
foxitrot
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Next

Return to Waze Map Editor