Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Massachusetts State Route Naming Convention

Post by MVGrim
I wanted to get a standard naming convention consensus established and documented to guide future renaming efforts.

I see that several routes are titled "State Hwy #" on the map. MassDOT refers to all of the state routes as "State Route #", and commonly refers to them in the shortened form "Rt #". I tend to prefer a shorter naming convention of "SR-#", and it is what I would recommend.

Any thoughts, or would making "SR-#" the state-wide convention be acceptable?
MVGrim

POSTER_ID:16635012

Send a message

Post by jasonm128
I'm pretty sure that MA-xxx is pronounced just fine when used on a ramp. For example, this:

https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... s=71334796

is pronounced "to EYE-95 north, Massachusetts 128 north, Massachusetts 30, New Hampshire, Maine". Is the pronunciation different when used on another kind of road segment?

Anyway, I like the MA-xxx convention but if Waze isn't going to play ball and make this pronounced according to local customs, then I guess SR-xxx is as good as anything else. The usage of the term "Route" when referring to a state highway is so pervasive and consistent around here that anything else will be unintelligible to most drivers. At least "state route" has the word "route" in it so some people may understand. However, I think many people don't even realize that what they call a "route" is actually a state road, so the leading "state" is still likely to confuse them.
jasonm128
Send a message
Area Manager : NW Suburbs of Boston, MA
HTC Droid DNA - Android 4.4.2 - Verizon
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/5/5a/W ... M_only.png

Post by jaywazin
dmcrandall wrote:I talked to GizmoGuy411 last night. "MA" is not recognized in TTS as a road name, and it says "ma," as in mother.
I am frequently driving on massachusetts state routes marked in Waze as "MA" (I think we're pretty uniformly using MA rather than SR inside of I-95) and I've never gotten any TTS that sound strange with regards to this. It always sounds appropriate, and I'm also pretty sure pronouncing "massachusetts" rather than saying "M-A" or "ma".
jaywazin
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
Send a message

moogonk
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message
Moogonk
Country Manager & Multi-State Manager--CT, ME, MA, RI, VT. Rank 5 Resident New Hampshire State Manager

Sometimes you avoid the jam, sometimes you are the jam, and sometimes it's faster to go through the jam. - AndyPoms

Post by moogonk
harling wrote:... I suggest using the MA-## designation.
I think that TTS pronounces that as "mah".

What if we made the standard "Route XX"? That is the way people refer to state routes in Mass, correct?
moogonk
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message
Moogonk
Country Manager & Multi-State Manager--CT, ME, MA, RI, VT. Rank 5 Resident New Hampshire State Manager

Sometimes you avoid the jam, sometimes you are the jam, and sometimes it's faster to go through the jam. - AndyPoms

Post by moogonk
harling wrote: My hope is that Waze will add a TTS pattern that transforms that into simply "roooot one twenty-eight north".
If Waze has stated its intention to modify TTS in that way, then I'm ok with that proposal. But if we're just hoping that someday Waze will do that, then I suggest we create a naming standard that works today.
moogonk
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message
Moogonk

Post by MVGrim
I have seen that page (edit: referring to the state naming convention wiki page), but seeing many listed without any reference to consensus and little to no information on the wiki regarding Massachusetts nor any of the discussion leading to accepting that convention made me wary of accepting it at face value. Hence the topic to either lend support to the convention on the wiki or change it, either way updating the wiki with a reference to this topic so that others beginning to edit can have documentation to know that it's been agreed to.
MVGrim
Send a message

Post by Panther37
I read through this whole thing and I'm still confused. Please let me know what is up so I can make sure the roads in my area are correct.
Panther37
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by Panther37
Waze already recognizes "State Hwy ##" and puts the number in a circle. I wish it would look into the Alt Names but it doesn't. I'm now in the process of fixing all of Route 6A (Cape Cod.) I don't know how long it takes for Waze to change the name in the map tiles though.
Panther37
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Panther37
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message