Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Map problem on showing rtl script like Persian and Arabic

Post by hrmohseni
Hi,
I'm not sure here is right place to post this issue or not, by the way in map editor and live map the street name in Persian (or Arabic which mostly used in middle east countries) script is right like "سلام" but in waze app this display disjoint like as "س ل ا م".

anyone know how to fix this issue.
hrmohseni

POSTER_ID:16866312

Send a message

Post by edsonajj
It certainly is the right place to ask about this.

From what I can see on Transifex (the translation platform) the strings themselves are not the problem; as an example the string "Green peace" is translated as "سلام أخضر". Though I do not know any arabic at all, I don't see the problem you describe.

Perhaps orit could help us to find what the problem is?

On a related topic: I see that the Arabic translation for the client isn't finished (it's at 90% completion) so maybe you could consider joining the team?
edsonajj
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Edson Jiménez

Post by edsonajj
Hi Rezayarr

As you seem to already know, Persian is not officially supported by Waze… that means some issues are to be expected. However, I can try to narrow down what might be causing the issue and hopefully get staff to fix it.

Could you tell me, is the issue present in the editor, the live map or only in the app?
edsonajj
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Edson Jiménez

Post by edsonajj
OK, so the problem is confined to the display of place names on the app’s map.

I will report that to staff who will probably raise it up with the engineers.
edsonajj
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Edson Jiménez

Post by Rezayarr
Hi everyone,

The problem described by hrmohseni might have been solved after Waze launched the Arabic support.
But some Persian characters which are not supported or NOT included in the Arabic language still appear disjointed.
I have to show this through an example in the attached file and will include here. But not sure if it will show correctly
میدان بیست و چهار This is the correct from
م ی دان ب ی ست و چ هار This is how we see in the map

Hope Waze technical support team would do something about it and launch Persian language support as well. This will enormously help to increase the wazer not only in Iran but also in neighbor countries like Afghanistan. Needles to say that more that 150 Mil people use this language.

Wishing everyone all the best in the year 2017
Rezayarr
Send a message
Attachments
Last edited by Rezayarr on Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Rezayarr
Dear Edson,

Thank you very much for your kind reply.
To be honest, I wasn't really expecting someone to hear my word.
But your reply gave me the hope that this issue will also be fixed.

Fortunately, we don't have any problem in WME, Live map or even while searching.
This problem only appears in the app, but not in all part of it. I will explain this issue by some screen shots attached to this post.

These are the problematic letters پ چ گ ژ ی causing problem in reading the names on the map.

If you have any question I'll be more than happy to help.

Kind regards,
Rezayarr
Rezayarr
Send a message
Attachments

Post by Rezayarr
Dear Edson,

Thank you very much for your prompt reply.
If you do that, I'll be obliged to you. So I will wait till I can receive some good news from you.
Meanwhile, If you need any help in this regard, please feel free to drop me line here or PM me.

Looking forward to hearing some favorable reply from you.

Kind regards,
Reza
Rezayarr
Send a message