Voice Commands reference

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Voice Commands reference

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:11 pm

mr5picker wrote:Voice commands have completely stopped responding for me. Haven't seen anyone else mention these symptoms yet.

Are you using iOS and bluetooth?
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 10.1.1 | Waze v4.14
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:53 pm

mr5picker wrote:Edit: just realized this is probably not the best thread to post this question to. Sorry.

Another user is also reporting voice command problems at https://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=78326. That thread might be better.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby JOHN-LALA » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:25 pm

another maybe off topic question: how's the voice command option enabled/disabled?

in the client?? (couldn't find it!!)

or per country preset? (like the toll road option...)

I'm drivin through Germany right now. How can we/ can I get the voice commands enabled over here?

I wouldn't mind to talk either English or German to the device...

Speaking of which: its an iPhone 4, iOS 6, system language set to British English, Waze 3.7.3.0.

ty,
JOHN
JOHN-LALA

Postby mr5picker » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:53 pm

kentsmith9 wrote:
mr5picker wrote:Edit: just realized this is probably not the best thread to post this question to. Sorry.

Another user is also reporting voice command problems at https://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=78326. That thread might be better.

Thanks. Similar in that they also can't use voice commands but different OS (I'm running iOS) and symptoms are different. I'll just start a new thread an apologize for a duplicate post ;)
mr5picker

Postby kentsmith9 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:13 pm

JOHN-LALA wrote:another maybe off topic question: how's the voice command option enabled/disabled?

in the client?? (couldn't find it!!)

or per country preset? (like the toll road option...)

I'm drivin through Germany right now. How can we/ can I get the voice commands enabled over here?

I wouldn't mind to talk either English or German to the device...

Speaking of which: its an iPhone 4, iOS 6, system language set to British English, Waze 3.7.3.0.

ty,

Did you check the Wiki under Voice Commands? ;)
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby JOHN-LALA » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:44 am

kentsmith9 wrote:...
Did you check the Wiki under Voice Commands? ;)

no I didn't. ty for the link!

It states: >>Currently available for USA and Canada (Android and iPhone)<<

But again: what can we do to get Voice Commands enabled over here (seems to be a per country preset...)?

I'd rather be able to talk (American) English to the device than not to be able to use Voice Control at all!!!

Following the above thread it seems rather difficult to hit the exact right tone even for native speakers... So it'd take some experimenting, I'm well aware of that.

ty,
JOHN
JOHN-LALA

Postby metalmarky » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:13 pm

I have tried many times to report a pot hole with voice commands. I have tried saying pothole quickly (like the voice prompt asks you), pot... hole slowly. Has anyone been able to use voice to report a pot hole? It is the only thing I have found that I cannot get it to recognise, it asks the 3 times then says cancelled. All other commands as far as I know work mostly first time.

I am using 3.7.7.997 beta but I have always had this issue.
Metal Marky
Galaxy S4
metalmarky

Postby LeighGr » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:13 pm

Any chance of getting "Other side" added to the "Report Traffic" voice command option? Each morning I have to report standstill traffic on the other side of the road, otherwise Waze tries to routes be me back through this standstill traffic. Using the voice commands would be much safer for me to use than the multiple stabs at the "My Side" button to get it to change to "Other Side".
Leigh Greyling
Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Android 5.0.0, Waze 4.3.0.0
LC: South Africa
CM: South Africa & Namibia
South African Links:: ZA Wiki - ZA Forums
LeighGr
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby Knotical » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:56 pm

I too am experiencing problems with voice commands more and more frequently. But there is a greater, more serious unintended consequence that is resulting.

As Metalmarkey has said, when the voice command problems occur, the app asks the 3 times then says cancelled.

But then something worse happens. The app appears to stop recording miles. The map still works while you are driving, as does navigation, but the tracking stops - you will see where tracking ended in "my drives".

I have experienced this several times now. I can usually close the app and clear my phones memory before restarting the app. (At a long stoplight, of course.) That gets tracking to start again.

I am using a Samsung Galaxy S4 Active if it helps.

Regards,
Knotical(2)

Designation: Mostly harmless
Knotical

Postby TxWendy » Fri May 30, 2014 4:49 pm

I have been struggling with initiating the voice commands. Sometimes it would come on at seemingly random times. I could never get the three finger tap or wave to work when driving and actually wanting to make a report. I just figured out the cause and wanted to share with others.

The phone must be in the portrait position for the wave and tap to work. If the phone is positioned landscape, it will not start the voice commands. I am using an iPhone 5S.
TxWendy

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App