Washington Wiki

Post by nhanway
This is a repost of a Topic on the Washington Forum. I wasnt getting any responses so I reposted it here!

I made a draft of the washington wiki page on my user profile. check it out

I wanted to start this topic to:
1. Edit for spelling or unclear writing.
2. Find out if all my work is correct
Functional Classification Guild is a controversial topic and can be discussed.
3. See if anything else should be added!

Please help me out and post any suggestions. :)
Thanks
nhanway

POSTER_ID:3160930

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
I think it's a nice start.

In terms of stuff I don't get, why the two links at the top of Road Classification Guide? That is, what should readers get from those pages?

"Driveways do not have a name unless they serve multiple houses" isn't true. Named private drives can be named in the editor, but just because they serve multiple houses doesn't mean they get named.

Speedcams: do all washington school zones have speed cameras? Or is it the standard in Washington to put cameras around school zones? That seems wrong.

IMO, fake cameras should never be mapped. :)

Washington mapping resources current link is the same as the forum link. Was that intentional?
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by kentsmith9
nidnarb wrote:I have to delete them about 3 times a week.
Note than unless someone actually verifies them, they will automatically be removed from the map after about 15 days if not verified, so you can move your efforts to other productive activities if you want.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
I don't personally have any reason not to publish it. Nice work.

I would recommend a few things to update on the page if you are so inclined:

1. Correct the "llegal" typo in camera section.
2. List all the counties in which cameras are not legal. If only Whatcom then maybe say "currently only illegal in Whatcom County."
3. In this first section: you have a link at the end that does not make sense and a link to a non-existent template.
4. Same section: clarify the Urban and Rual refer to WSDOT definitions.
5. Alleys: I think we discussed the general consensus was to mark Alleys as Parking Lot Roads https://www.waze.com/wiki/Alley#Parking_Lot_Road. Some states were deviating from that, but I think most have more recently started agreeing to move to PLot. Maybe I am wrong.
6. Typo in phrase "then it not normally mapped"
7. Driveways: I think Washington is following our recently created driveway page, so you could replace that content with the link to simplify.
8. Time Restricted Turns: since you just link to the page, you may want to just say "Washington follows the general recommendations for Time Restricted Turns" and hyperlink it that way.
9. Fake Cameras: I think Alan mentioned in his opinion fake camera should not be marked. You may want to get more feedback from other Washington editors on that. And in the Wiki page you can say some editors may or may not map fake cameras. I personally agree with Alan.
10. Remove the initial to-do list since you have it in its own section.
11. You can use the Red Template for your initial clarification that this page is a work in progress until you get most of it sorted out. Then you could put a link to the Washington forum to a thread you create to collect input on changes and improvements to discuss for the page.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
Cool.
nhanway wrote:10. Should I just delete the section To Do List and the link in this page? Is that what your suggesting?
I thought I saw two links to the To-Do list; one at the top and one in a section near the end. I proposed just keeping the one near the end.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by nhanway
AlanOfTheBerg wrote: In terms of stuff I don't get, why the two links at the top of Road Classification Guide? That is, what should readers get from those pages?
-Road Types wiki is just a good link to have when talking about how the road types should be classified.
-Road naming could be deleted.
AlanOfTheBerg wrote: "Driveways do not have a name unless they serve multiple houses" isn't true. Named private drives can be named in the editor, but just because they serve multiple houses doesn't mean they get named.
Fixed! :)
AlanOfTheBerg wrote: Speedcams: do all washington school zones have speed cameras? Or is it the standard in Washington to put cameras around school zones? That seems wrong.
I understand how that could be a little confusing. I was just stating that speed cameras in Washington are normally built in school zones to enforce lower speed limits. Not all schools/school zones have cameras.

Would this be better?:
-Should be mapped at the actual location of camera, use street view.
Speed cameras in Washington are normally in school zones to enforce lower speed limits.-

Or should I eliminate the second part completely?:
-Should be mapped at the actual location of camera, use street view.-
AlanOfTheBerg wrote: IMO, fake cameras should never be mapped. :)
The reasons I think they should be mapped is because it reduces the amount of people who report red light cameras incorrectly from the app. Also gives drivers warning that there isn't actually a camera and that the sign is just there for safety. Plus, it does no harm. Its just a pin on the map.

I know it clutters the map but Seattle often looks like this screen shot below I took of Washington DC. Ever sense I started adding fake cameras the amount of incorrectly reported cameras in Seattle is drastically different.
Camera Clutter.jpg
Camera Clutter
(242.85 KiB) Downloaded 1091 times
AlanOfTheBerg wrote: Washington mapping resources current link is the same as the forum link. Was that intentional?
Nope, not intentional! Fixed! :)

Thank you for your suggestions and help!
nhanway
Send a message

Post by nhanway
nidnarb wrote:Speed and red light cameras are only legal in certain county's. In Whatcom county and a few others these are not allowed. Someone keeps putting them up here and i have to delete them about 3 times a week.
Fixed! :)

I changed the wording in the Camera section to clarify that they are not legal in all counties! Also I added a list of counties that Cameras are not legal.
nhanway
Send a message
Last edited by nhanway on Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by nhanway
So does anyone have any objections to me posting this wiki officially?
nhanway
Send a message

Post by nhanway
1. Fixed
2 and 3. Fixed added "Currently only illegal in Whatcom County" I'm not aware of any other county's that have ticket cameras as illeal.
4. Fixed
5. It seems to be the standard in Washington to mark alleys as Private. If people have objections we could start a topic in the forum to change this...
6. Fixed
7. Added link. Fixed
8. Fixed
9. Fixed. Changed the wording to leave it up the editors discretion.
10. Should I just delete the section To Do List and the link in this page? Is that what your suggesting?
11. Fixed

Thanks for your all your suggestions. I will now post it and link it to categories USA and Washington :)
nhanway
Send a message

Post by nhanway
I just added some Plink examples of driveways to help clarify the driveway "Rules / guidelines".
nhanway
Send a message