The place to discuss editing specifically related to house numbering (addresses): how to optimize locations, set stop-points, etc.

Strange Routing for Some House Numbers on a street

Post by kentsmith9
This is a strange one. I found a street in San Jose where a UR said an address was going to the wrong street. Assuming it was our normal GPS routing without accounting for the street name I tried to fix it, but found this problem was not exactly the same.
Bautista.png
(415.86 KiB) Downloaded 925 times
House addresses 340 and 338 on Bautista Place in San Jose, CA will show the correct destination with the checkered flag, but they route to a street that is a long way away from Bautista Place. You can see that Bautista Place is actually between the house and the destination where Waze sends you.

You can see the other addresses on that same block all route correctly. I eventually checked all the addresses on that image, and only the three marked in red came up wrong.

The 309 address is suspect as it is close to the other road Dupont St, however the actual GPS location on Google Maps shows it physically closer to Bautista Place.

I thought the problem was forced vs not forced addresses, but that was not the case. Both forced and non-forced addresses produce both results.

The only other data you can see here is 340 and 338 are possibly the farthest distance from Bautista compared to all the other addresses. Note that 338 was further south when I first ran the test and found the failure, but I moved it so I could see the address number.

Also 300, 313, 320 and 350 do not exist as an address, but Live Map will navigate correctly to those locations on Bautista Pl. However 307 also does not exist, but it fails like 309 (which is real).

Something I am not understanding is why some addresses on the right of Bautista are required to be forced and others are not. I wonder if that relates to our particular issue. Maybe there is something wrong with the Bautista Place segment in the database somehow.

Also since 342 works fine, I just need to move 340 and 338 closer to Bautista on Google Maps and Waze.

Has anyone else seen this strange behavior?
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

POSTER_ID:7009939

Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
kentsmith9 wrote:House addresses 340 and 338 on Bautista Place in San Jose, CA will show the correct destination with the checkered flag, but they route to a street that is a long way away from Bautista Place.
This looks like Waze can't route properly because these two are located most closely to the disconnected walking trail. This is a long-standing issue which was recently re-discussed in a lengthy thread, and another reason why walking trails can be summarily removed even if they otherwise are mapped ok.
I missed that thread, but don't see how that would be the case here. 344 and 311 are closer to the walking trail than Bautista, but they route fine.

Something I did notice, when the Live Map tries to route the 3 that fail, it takes almost 2x the time for it to come up with the route. The others that are correct have a route in a relatively quick time.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Last edited by AlanOfTheBerg on Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed my quote regarding walking trail removal

Post by kentsmith9
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
kentsmith9 wrote:344 and 311 are closer to the walking trail than Bautista, but they route fine.
344 does definitely look closer to the walking trail. I wonder if there is some minimum threshold where routing will use a street if the distance is within x meters?

311 I don't agree is closer to Bautista. It looks very close, maybe a tie, so I'd say Waze picks the walking trail in that case and "fails."
Not sure you are correct on 311, but in the mean time i moved the walking trail so we can revisit this site in a day or two when the live map changes.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
kentsmith9 wrote:Not sure you are correct on 311, but in the mean time i moved the walking trail so we can revisit this site in a day or two when the live map changes.
Make sure you are comparing WME production editor search result pin placement, not the house number.
Ah. Good point. I was not. I also assume that the flag placement in live map would be the same result you are describing in WME, correct?
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
kentsmith9 wrote:...in the mean time i moved the walking trail so we can revisit this site in a day or two when the live map changes.
Now that the walking trail is moved, all of the address are routing correctly with no other changes besides the walking trail.

The good news is this resolved the problem. The bad news is a walking trail that should have nothing to do with the routing is messing up the routing. If routing were forced to find the closest segment with a name that actually matches the destination, then this bug would not affect navigation.

I see from the prior finding from CBenson in the Walking Trail thread that Waze is actually wanting part of this functionality and I for the life of me cannot see how this makes any sense. If they are using walking trails as part of the route to get to a final destination, why not consider the driveways and parking lot roads that are effectively doing the same thing. Maybe because they are not named it wont work?

I will take this conversation and disagreement with Walking Trail operation back to CBenson's original thread and try to get a better understanding or feed back to Waze some other proposals so this does not kill us in navigation nightmares.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
I sent a note to a number of the Waze team to review this thread/issue. I have not yet heard back.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
sketch wrote:
qwaletee wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote: It's pretty rare, but there have been examples in the forum, I think in Europe, where house numbers were being added to walking trails in complexes. Apparently there are actual named "streets" but are non-drivable.
Not that different from open-air malls that have internal addresses.
Or pedestrian alleys with businesses and/or residences on them, as in parts of the French Quarter. Better to route to the end of the pedestrian alley than to the drivable road "nearest" the business (which may be behind it).
I think we are loosing sight of the fact that this is all built into the internal house address feature (stop point), to show where to drive your car. Then you get out to make it the last 5 feet or 500 feet depending upon how long your driveway or walkway might be.

But until we have everything on internal house addressing, this ability to route to walkways is creating a huge problem.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
CBenson wrote:But as we touched on waze is clearly struggling with how to handle stop points that are not associated with the named street in the address. So far we can't put a stop point where you should drive your car if that point is not on a segment with the name of the address.
I thought that was just a lower priority item since they are not currently using internal addresses. Is there a thread on that I missed that they cannot solve it or are you speaking about the collective data we are getting in bits and drabs?
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
I did read that thread and yes there is more going on than we realize, however it is not consistent enough for me. :D
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by qwaletee
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
CBenson wrote:...it sure seems to be intended to address the situation where the internal database has number associated with the walking trail.
It's pretty rare, but there have been examples in the forum, I think in Europe, where house numbers were being added to walking trails in complexes. Apparently there are actual named "streets" but are non-drivable.
Not that different from open-air malls that have internal addresses.
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues