Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

"No Connection" when trying to report via voice?

Post by jrtwynam
Hi,

I'm not sure if this has been asked before - I did a search of the forum but didn't find anything. Today on my way home from work I tried to report a cop on the road, so I waved at my phone to start the voice prompt. It first said "wait", then switched to "listening" for maybe half a second, then it said "no connection". I know that my data connection was working because all the traffic data was being downloaded fine, plus I had a couple of non-Waze notifications come through. Anyone have any idea what happened here?

Thanks.
jrtwynam

POSTER_ID:16866351

Send a message

Post by Darthreflon
I have the same issue. I'm using the Galaxy S4 with latest Waze update. None of the voice commands work at all. And yes I've searched for issues before and I can never find what I'm looking for. I would like to know how other people find the relevant info when others can't.
Darthreflon
Send a message

Post by Darthreflon
The voice is the default female voice for the u.s. I've tried using blue tooth and not using it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Darthreflon
Send a message

Post by jrtwynam
So far, nothing I've tried has worked. I've tried simply restarting my phone, uninstalling and reinstalling Waze, uninstalling and deleting the Waze folder and then reinstalling Waze. I've tried using my phone's data connection as well as my home WiFi, as well as using my work phone's WiFi hotspot to let my personal phone connect to. I get the same "no connection" error in all cases. Thankfully, the app does still direct me properly and warn me of upcoming hazards. The only thing I can't do with the app is report anything I come across (via voice - the touchscreen reporting still works, but I can't do it that way because it's unsafe and I think it might even be illegal here). If anyone has any ideas why I'm getting this error, I'd appreciate hearing them.

Thanks.
jrtwynam
Send a message

Post by jrtwynam
Thanks for the reply. I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 - the voice commands used to work, but all of a sudden I started getting this error. Right now, none of the voice commands work because it doesn't even get to the point where it says "listening" - it goes from "waiting" to "no connection".

I've uninstalled and reinstalled the app several times, usually with a complete reboot of the phone in between. During some of those uninstalls, I also deleted the Waze folder from my phone's internal storage (which is how I got rid of the choppiness in the voice guidance that many others have mentioned). I've tried using voice when connected through bluetooth as well as when it's not connected, and get the error in both cases.

I've done a search on the forums for this, but didn't find anything relating to this problem - it seems your search skills are superior to mine. :oops: The results I got all had to do with choppy voice guidance.
jrtwynam
Send a message

Post by jrtwynam
I sent this issue in to Waze, and they told me that it's a known issue and they'll be releasing a fix soon. Maybe that was just a standard answer, or maybe it's true - I dunno.

As for ASR, I know that the voice guidance is played through my car speakers, and that part works pretty well. I don't know if that means that my attempts at voice commands also travel from my car to the phone via bluetooth, or if it's just the phone's speaker that's listening. My device language is set to English (US), and I'm using Tom as the voice.
jrtwynam
Send a message

Post by jrtwynam
I just briefly tried that while sitting at my desk here, and it stayed on "listening" instead of showing "no connection". Definitely looks promising, but I'll have to try it when I'm out driving. Great find!
jrtwynam
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
1. What phone do you have?
2. Do any voice commands work? You only mentioned trying to report.
3. Have you tried to uninstall and reinstall the app? Maybe something in the voice command files got messed up.

I personally don't use the voice commands (too noisy in my car), so I am not familiar with your error message.

Did you search the forums for other information? There appear to be a few, but not a lot of data behind them.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=74721&p=646071
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=68795&p=620300
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
Since I don't have the Galaxy and I am on iOS, I am afraid my experience is different enough that I won't be any help here. In fact I just two days ago was testing the Voice commands for some Wiki updates and it was working past the point you are describing, so I have nothing on my side. Maybe the change came recently with an update on the client app and other will be reporting it soon, or will find a solution and report it here.

If you get nothing after a few days you can also report it directly to Waze https://www.waze.com/wiki/Support#How_d ... uestion.3F
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by lagflag
I have the same thing. I am using Android 4.4.2 (Galaxy S3).
It shows waiting for a second, then listening for 1/4 second, sometimes I don't even see the "listening" phase, then No connection. I tried everything as well.. nothing works.
Very sad, it is really not the best thing to report using the buttons while driving. very risky.
lagflag
Send a message