The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

An Important Change in the Client Display

Post by
Hey everyone,

We wanted to update you about a change in the display of certain road types in the client, that may affect the way you use the editor.

One of the upcoming changes to the map will cause all road types to be presented in the client. Up until now some roads - railroads for example - were not shown in the client. Some of you used those roads to mark certain issues on the map.

After enabling those road types in the client, this will of course no longer be possible, as any segment with any text in it’s name will be presented to all app users.

To enable the change, we need you to remove such road segments from the map, and make sure new ones are not added to it - Otherwise they’ll appear in the client and confuse users.

Thanks for your help,

Noam

POSTER_ID:16836319

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
davipt wrote:My feeling is that the railroads will be pushed again by the server and thus no new client will be required, so "soon" can be anything from "now" to "only on the next client drop" to "soon"
But the current version of the app, in the schemes, doesn't have a road type settings for railroad or parkinglot, etc. Unless it is just the file which doesn't have that, and they could push updates to that file in the background, a new app version would need to be released. If they make no app change, then it would have to render RR and PLot just like street.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
slandrum wrote:Well, parking lot is already rendered in the app.
But it is rendered exactly like Street type. There's no individual control over it. Until they effect some client-side change, there's no way to render different street types. They just don't exist in the configuration.
davipt wrote:There used to be RR on the client when I joined. It was the same as street, but with the dotdotdot in the middle, like the editor. I'm pretty sure it's something hardcoded on the client.
Isn't the "dot dot dot" just a pacman/new road? I've never seen it rendered in the app before.
davipt wrote:Either way my point was simple, I understood the message as "it will happen independently of a new client".
I didn't read that the same way. I can see how it could be inferred, but the part "after enabling these road types in the client" suggests a new client vers to me.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Whether they can make this change without updating the app, I don't know. What I do find curious is that Shirli was marking some bugzilla reports for future v3.8 and v3.9, but on the change to the app to enable proper display of additional road types like parking lot, railroad, etc., she wrote, "Planned. Version not scheduled yet."

That suggests a version beyond the next two releases, like perhaps 4.0.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
sketch wrote:That it's coming in 4.0 does not surprise me at all.
Me neither.
sketch wrote:Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean there'll have to be a 3.8 or 3.9...
True. but some are tagged specifically as v3.8 and others 3.9, which suggests, at this time, they are planning for them.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlexN-114
Will we get another resource to comment edits?
AlexN-114
Send a message
best regards Alex ;)
AM Waldviertel (NÖ)/Forest quarter (Lower Austria) / CM Austria / GC
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/8/87/RWrsig.png
HiLiCi @ greasyfork.org or @ userscripts.org

Post by banished
I find unfortunate that display of railroads is contingent upon a note system. Railroads never should have been used for notes, but Waze didn't help matters much because they were aware railroad segments were being used for notes and didn't immediately put a stop to it.

I've been waiting since NA Meetup 2012 for railroads to display. Guess I'll have to wait a while longer and use an alternative device at locations where I'd really like to have the railroad as a visual reference point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
banished
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
GC, ARC, Veteran, CISSP, MCP

Post by BellHouse
Timbones wrote:
AlexN-114 wrote:Will we get another resource to comment edits?
Update Requests posted from the Livemap are very effective for editor comments, and are far superior to [ab]using Railroads.
... if we may assume that all editors have the UR layer activated. ;)
BellHouse
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by glomp
redviper26 wrote:One of the upcoming changes to the map will cause all road types to be presented in the client. Up until now some roads - railroads for example - were not shown in the client. Some of you used those roads to mark certain issues on the map.

After enabling those road types in the client, this will of course no longer be possible, as any segment with any text in it’s name will be presented to all app users.
What happens in the case of railroads without any text, will they be shown in the client?
glomp
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by Machete808
Timbones wrote:Update Requests posted from the Livemap are very effective for editor comments, and are far superior to [ab]using Railroads. We use them routinely for roadworks and other non-obvious changes:
  • Has more space for text
  • Allows other editors to comment on it
  • Instance notifications of new comments, or premature deletion
  • Is highly visible within the editor, at all zoom levels
  • Will never appear in the client

Agree completely; it functions pretty well. I just wish there was one that didn't require you to select one of the listed problem options; that had a distinct icon, such as a cone; and had a lock on it. Hoping the new/future tool will have those attributes.
Machete808
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
Send a message
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/on9 ... i.png?dl=0https://www.dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s ... x.png?dl=0
U.S. Local Champ
Hawaii State Manager
California State Manager
Country manager, U.S.
Welcome, new editors:
Here's a good place to start!

Post by Machete808
Timbones wrote: Maybe this could come "soon"er than asking for them to create some new notes system? ;)
Sounds good to me, for precisely that reason!
Machete808
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
Send a message
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/on9 ... i.png?dl=0https://www.dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s ... x.png?dl=0
U.S. Local Champ
Hawaii State Manager
California State Manager
Country manager, U.S.
Welcome, new editors:
Here's a good place to start!