Errors routing to / through Yosemite Valley via Hwy 120

Image This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.

Moderator: MapSir

Re: Errors routing to / through Yosemite Valley via Hwy 120

Postby Borgholio » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:36 am

Nice thing about Yosemite is that there are only four entrances, and two of those are open year-round and rarely closed. So it's fairly easy to keep track of the roads that DO close such as Glacier Point or Tioga.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!

Area Manager - Southern California, Highway 395, Yosemite National Park, Mariposa County and surrounding area.

Image Image
Borgholio
Area Manager
Area Manager

Re: fee for entry treated as toll?

Postby dbraughlr » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:17 am

I know of a lot of other places where an entrance fee is required that has nothing to do with through traffic. It never occurred to me to make a park road into a toll road. It sounds like every entrance should be private or something like that.

If you are not using the park as a visitor, you cannot just pay a "toll" to transit the park. People should not be routed through any portion of a park that requires an entrance fee even if they have not set "Avoid tolls". That really is not correct; toll avoidance logic does not apply.

Is marking a park entrance as a toll road a standard?
dbraughlr

Postby jemay » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:05 pm

The practice that has been adopted is if you have to pay to go through the park then mark it as a toll. The reasoning behind that is if you are planning to go to the park you would know that you would have to pay to go in and there is no real advantage marking it as a toll, but for people that want to go from point a to point b and it happens to go through the park but you have to pay, then that is a toll for that person. We had been getting several URs regarding the issues about being routed through the park from one side to the other and was not told there would a toll.

So currently Yosemite has the entrances marked as a toll, a place like Bryce does not.

Setting the entrance to the park as private would cause other issues. I would never get a route through the park. But with it set as a toll and I am willing to pay the toll, then that would be one of the option I would get from one side to the other.
PLEASE READ: Wiki Resources: FAQ|Map Editor|Best Practices|Editing issues?
Global Champ | Regional Coordinator for US South West - CA,NV,UT,AZ,NM,CO,HI | CM for US

DROID TURBO 2 - Android 6.0 - Verizon - Waze Ver. 4.2.0.1
jemay
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:22 am

jemay wrote:The practice that has been adopted is if you have to pay to go through the park then mark it as a toll. The reasoning behind that is if you are planning to go to the park you would know that you would have to pay to go in and there is no real advantage marking it as a toll, but for people that want to go from point a to point b and it happens to go through the park but you have to pay, then that is a toll for that person. We had been getting several URs regarding the issues about being routed through the park from one side to the other and was not told there would a toll.

So currently Yosemite has the entrances marked as a toll, a place like Bryce does not.

Setting the entrance to the park as private would cause other issues. I would never get a route through the park. But with it set as a toll and I am willing to pay the toll, then that would be one of the option I would get from one side to the other.

We should probably add something to the Wiki on this for Toll Roads.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Previous

Return to United States