Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Does "Name of Road" have to match the name on segments?

Post by sketch
In the provided spreadsheet, does "Name of Road" have to match up with the street name on the listed segments, or is it for informational purposes only (like on the event page)?

There's a Mardi Gras parade in Slidell that rolls along US-11, but US-11 has three different names along the route, so do I need to put in 3 separate entries or can I put all the segments in at once, with the name "US-11"?
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

POSTER_ID:5415

Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by LeighGr
XanderBash wrote:Just label it as US-11. :D
On a similar note, I'm busy compiling a list of road closures for a short 109 km cycle ride around the Cape Peninsula with 40,000 participants in March. I've got to 86 rows in the spreadsheet. There is one road, Victoria Rd, which is 11 separate rows, as it goes through 11 suburbs.

Should these all be listed as one row, with 60 segment IDs? I've tried selecting segments so that it doesn't display "No common street, no common city, no common country".
LeighGr
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message
Leigh Greyling
Redmi 8, Android 10.0.0, Waze: Whatever the latest beta is!
LC: South Africa
CM: Southern Africa

Post by LeighGr
sketch wrote:Good question. I wish there was a better way to ask staff these questions than this forum.
I dropped a mail to one of the staff members who was shadowing me on Sunday.I couldn't PM them, as I don't know what their Waze id is. Once I have more info, I'll make an attempt at a Mega Event closure data wiki page, as the current one just explains what the feature is, and the presentation they send doesn't go into enough detail.

It's still a new feature, with it's growing pains, but will be very useful in the long run.
LeighGr
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message
Leigh Greyling

Post by LeighGr
sketch wrote:I got the answer via email—simply, "no". The "Name of Road" is used in the event website. I was told it's best to close one street per line so they could be opened again more easily if need be. I was doing this anyway, just 'cause it makes it easier to deal with.

So on an event that doesn't make the website it doesn't really matter what it says exactly.
Timbones wrote: A bigger concern is what happens if those segment numbers change before the event occurs?..
I didn't know this, but apparently, previous segment numbers are kept for each segment that's split or merged.
Thanks guys. Waze keeping track of split and merged segments historical IDs makes sense, but what if they are deleted and recreated? Roundabout segments immediately spring to mind.

I'll just have to keep an eye over the route and keep the doc updated if something does change. Maybe I should also up the lock level on the two roundabouts on the route, in case someone feels the need to 'beautify' those roundabouts.
LeighGr
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message
Leigh Greyling

Post by LeighGr
sketch wrote:I've been trying to lock the parade routes at r5 anyway.
:oops: A bit slow off the mark tonight. It's only just dawned on me what you meant.
LeighGr
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message
Leigh Greyling

Post by sketch
Good question. I wish there was a better way to ask staff these questions than this forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:

Post by sketch
Let me know here as soon as you know anything, before you head to the Wiki. I think the presentation could be supplemented very effectively, if only we knew what to actually put there.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
I got the answer via email—simply, "no". The "Name of Road" is used in the event website. I was told it's best to close one street per line so they could be opened again more easily if need be. I was doing this anyway, just 'cause it makes it easier to deal with.

So on an event that doesn't make the website it doesn't really matter what it says exactly.
Timbones wrote: A bigger concern is what happens if those segment numbers change before the event occurs?..
I didn't know this, but apparently, previous segment numbers are kept for each segment that's split or merged. I read that in an unrelated thread only a day or two ago. I've been trying to lock the parade routes at r5 anyway.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by Timbones
From my recent experience updating road closures due to flooding, the road name does not matter for the purposes of the event. Use whichever name is most helpful to you. Waze only need the segment IDs.

A bigger concern is what happens if those segment numbers change before the event occurs?..
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
Answers: 2
Send a message
Timbones(6) • UK Coordinator • Forum Moderator • Closure Monitor
Scripts: WME Colour HighlightsWME Route TesterWME Geometries

XanderBash
Send a message
images/ranks/BetaTester_Badge.png[img]https:///mSz3t[/img]
Grand Haven, MI <|> Don't Forget to Thank Me. =D
https://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/ ... 69092_.png