This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.
Post by GizmoGuy411
kodi75 wrote:Cord St near Middle River, MD is pronounced as "County Road" in TTS.
Reporter on July 31, 2014
The text to voice says "county road street"
I'm aware that "Co" (and "CR") is pronounced "county", and "rd" as "road", however I didn't know it would parce groups of letters in the middle of a word (not separated by a space).
Thank you. Good observation.

I think you actually discovered a previous existing abbreviation that we had not yet discovered!

Currently the following are documented in the "Big List" to exist or we have had Waze add them:

"Co" says "co" as in the word "cooperate"
"Cor" says "Corner"
"CR" says "County Road"
and now you have found that
"Cord" also says "County Road"

This will be added to the "Big List" and we will also add it the submission list to Waze for removal as an abbreviation.
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. based Global Champ Emeritus
U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
U.S. Great Lakes ARC: IL, IN, MI, OH, WI
(and past GLR RC)
AM: NW OH, NE IN, SE MI
Wiki Profile
Verizon: Google Pixel XL3 & iPad "3"

Post by GizmoGuy411
Kayos_On_The_Road wrote:Reading GizmoGuy411's post, it indicates everything has been tested. The list on the first post in this thread has not been updated, hence the request to see the current list.

Thanks,
Kayos
I've checked the link in the opening post, and it links correctly for me. Is there any chance that you are viewing a cached copy and not the latest version.

Since I do not intend on updating it within the day or so, the version date/time you should see is,
"Updated: 2014-08-18T04:00Z"

This Big List version shows both "Diversion" and "Points" as being tested. Neither have a functioning TTS abbreviation at the moment. I will bring up both as suggestions for additions.

Hope that helps.
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
(and past GLR RC)
Wiki Profile

Post by GizmoGuy411
Kayos_On_The_Road wrote:I found a couple of TTS errors:

"to Hwy 91A N / Annacis Island" is translated as "to highway nighty one eh en" pause "annacis island"
"to Hwy 13 / 264 St / Aldergrove" is tanslated as "to highway thirteen thousand two hundred sixty four street" followed by the pause for the second slash an "aldergrove"

These are both segments starting with "to" Could this be what is causing the issue?

Kayos
These errors have been found in several Ramp names where a combination of abbreviations that work elsewhere, do not with in ramp names where the slash mark appears.

Would you mind sending the Permalink for these examples to me directly and I will add it to our list of such examples that we will present to Waze to figure out?
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
(and past GLR RC)
Wiki Profile

Post by GizmoGuy411
It was fixed for instances where they existed as the sole abbreviation.

The combinations of abbreviations did not work.

All bets are off at the moment to what STILL works.

We will just have to submit the examples we have and see if they can figure it out.

So if you have more examples, add them here I guess and we can compile them and send them next week then that team is more accessible.
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
(and past GLR RC)
Wiki Profile

Post by GizmoGuy411
jaywazin wrote:
harling wrote: 'Storrow Dr E' is supposed to be "storrow drive east", not "storrow doctor east" or "storrow doctor ee". And each time someone comes up with an example that we haven't anticipated, the rules (and code) become messier and harder to maintain.

All these conditions and exceptions are easy enough for a human to follow, but to a computer, context-sensitive grammars are brittle. Trust me, I have done this for a living. Better to start now with as straightforward and literal a system as possible, or it will turn into a perpetual problem, where fixing one case will break several others.
Back to Page 2 (1/2012)!! -

Over the last couple weeks I've noticed this popping up again.

Memorial Dr W is now "Memorial Doctor West"
and Storrow Dr E is now "Storrow Doctor East"
Could not duplicate the issue with "Memorial Dr W". Suspect TTS server/routing server cliches. (A more detailed reply sent to jaywazin via PM, along with other content.)

To harlings point, the results of the exception issues are compounded when the system simply falls back to defaults, and confuses people more.
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
(and past GLR RC)
Wiki Profile

Post by GizmoGuy411
Your help is needed!

Several reports have been received that certain roads with the "Dr" abbreviation have been voiced by TTS as "doctor" instead of "drive", and only intermittently.

In the Boston area it has happened with "Memorial Dr W" and I believe "Memorial Dr E".

In New York City it has happened with "FDR Dr N" and possibly with "FDR Dr S".

This does not seem to happen all the time.

My suspicion, is that it MAY be occurring during periods when the abbreviation "Dr" is being in heavy use by the TTS server. So if it is rush hour on the west coast and a lot of "Dr" abbreviations are being used, then it COULD also happen on the east coast at the same instant.

In order to help Waze determine the issue, we need to provide them with examples with the following infomation:

- The WME permalink with the segment that you heard the TTS for selected. (Not where you were at the time you heard it, but the segment that was being spoken in the TTS instruction.)

- Your time zone.
- A copy of the actual TTS file from your mobile device.
- The timestamp of the TTS file.

Acquiring a copy of the TTS file and its timestamp can be accomplished as follows:
- For Android devices, download the "ES File Explorer File Manager" app for your device.

- For iOS devices, download a program such as "iFunBox" (no jailbreak needed) to your Mac or Windows computer, and connect your device to your computer via a cable. You may also be able to use Wifi with some programs such as iFunBox.

- Navigate to the location in your device where the TTS files are stored.

Android:
Local/waze/tts/database/local_nuamce_8_mp3_Samantha_Female/ or
Local/waze/tts/database/local_nuamce_8_mp3_Tom_Male/

iOS:
Connected Devices, [your device name], User Applications, [Waze]//Library/Caches/tts/database/local_nuamce_8_mp3_Samantha_Female/ or
Connected Devices, [your device name], User Applications, [Waze]//Library/Caches/tts/database/local_nuamce_8_mp3_Tom_Male/

Once you have found the file, please either upload it to cloud space such as Dropbox or Google Drive and share the link, or just sent it to my Waze@GizmoGuy411.com email address as an attachment.
(It is not possible to sent via a Private Message.)
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
(and past GLR RC)
Wiki Profile

Post by GizmoGuy411
Yes it is hard to find information in the forums when threads get this large.

The solution is to use a period. A number of places around the coutry that have "Saint" in a street name have helped us come to the conclusion that "St." is used for "Saint" and "St" is used for "Street".

You mentioned "here" without clarification. If you are referring to a specific place, it may be possible for us to get you some help to add the periods where necessary.

We may also be able to run a script to make most of the changes for the occurrences where "Saint" is the first word in the name.

Such changes based on placement however must be considered carefully however as exceptions have been discivered in the past.
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
(and past GLR RC)
Wiki Profile

Post by GizmoGuy411
CBenson wrote:Do we have any current indication that waze is working to fix the bug? N is voiced "en" for this segment named "Baltimore-Washington Pkwy N / to I-95 / Baltimore" as well.
This has fallen back into my lap. Waze IS aware that a problem exists. However they are waiting for me to send specific examples.

I have somewhat narrowed the issue down to some combination of abbreviations and the slash mark.

Without out trying to narrowed the issue further, I will try to compile my findings along with theseveral recent examples and send them.

No action on abbreviations has been possible for the last few months as Waze was making changes. Just in the last couple weeks they now are ready to resume TTS issue resolutions.
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
(and past GLR RC)
Wiki Profile

Post by GizmoGuy411
jondrush wrote:AwCrap. Penna was working as an abbreviation that spoke "Pennsylvania", but now it is busted. Just says "Penna". Any insight on why this changed?
Failures seem to coincide with the installation of the new "Jane" voice. I've already sent an email regarding issues with Jane, and will follow up with this loss of our previously fixed issues once I get a reply.
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
(and past GLR RC)
Wiki Profile

Post by GizmoGuy411
With the assistance of Otto we found the needed intentional misspellings for "Buena" and "Sepulvada" to submit to Waze so that they are pronounced as correctly as possible for the "Samantha" and "Tom" voices. Waze reports that the "Jane" voice already pronounces them correctly.

Clear the TTS cache in your device to hear the corrected names.
(Menu > Navigate, then search for "cc@tts" without the quotes)
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
(and past GLR RC)
Wiki Profile