Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Construction Zones (Road Naming (USA))

Post by
Road Naming (USA)#Construction Zones

As far as I know, "Street Dr CONST ZN" is a relic from a pre-TTS day. It's pronounced "Const Z N".

@jasonh300 and I first addressed it by spelling out "CONSTRUCTION ZONE". A couple of these long-term construction projects are on my daily drive, so I've been playing around with it. I tried "S Claiborne Ave (Construction Zone)" and eventually settled on "S Claiborne Ave (Under Construction)". It's a lot easier on the eyes, but it still stands out. Plus, if it's going to be spelled out anyway, title case takes up much less space on the map. The parentheses create a pause, so instead of "Turn right, at South Claiborne Avenue Under Construction", it says "Turn right, at South Claiborne Avenue, Under Construction", which is a lot easier on the ears.

So essentially I'm proposing we change all instances of "CONST ZN" to "(Under Construction)".

We have also been using "Street Dr CLOSED" for total closures; I would recommend "Street Dr (Closed)" for consistency.

POSTER_ID:5415

Send a message
Last edited by kentsmith9 on Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed URL link

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
If the parentheses are not pronounced at all, I'm fine with this.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
We are suggesting this change for all roads under construction, regardless of whether they are closed/disconnected or not?
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
I find "Construction Zone" and "Under Construction" too similar and we should just pick "Construction Zone" to be a melding of the two ideas. "Closed" can mean just that, regardless of the reason.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
Depends what you mean by routing. If you mean what routes the routing server returns, it is really difficult to say what has minor effects. I can't imagine that this would have any noticeable effects on the routes that are returned.

If you mean turn instructions then it depends on whether the shielded road is limited access or not. As the name of limited access roads don't show up in turn instructions (rather the ramp names do) changing the name of limited access roads has no effect. If the road is not limited access then the turn instructions that use the name of the road are effected by an change to the name in WME.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by davielde
Based on the feedback provided by several Champs in this recent thread here, would anyone object to updating the Major Construction without Closure section to reflect guidance for freeways or other shielded roads?

For example (bold = new):
"When a road is under long-term construction, but is not closed, add "(Construction Zone)" to the end of the name unless it involves a segment with a shielded highway or freeway."
davielde
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/6/69/W ... 00k_5c.png
CM: USA
SM: Michigan, Vermont
AM: Ann Arbor, MI & Thunder Bay, ON
WME Michigan

Post by davielde
CBenson wrote:If you mean turn instructions then it depends on whether the shielded road is limited access or not. As the name of limited access roads don't show up in turn instructions (rather the ramp names do) changing the name of limited access roads has no effect. If the road is not limited access then the turn instructions that use the name of the road are effected by an change to the name in WME.
So, if we were to apply this logic to the wiki with simple, straightforward guidance, would something like this then be acceptable?

"When a road is under long-term construction, but is not closed, add "(Construction Zone)" to the end of the name unless it involves a shielded, limited access road."
davielde
Send a message
WME Michigan

Post by davielde
sketch wrote:Is shield generation for US highways automatic at this point? Is it working well? Is it instant?

Interesting to note: Interstate shields and US highway shields are matched differently. If memory serves, Interstate shields will be given to anything that starts with I-###, no matter what's at the end, whereas US highway shields are granted strictly – only to US-###, apparently, not even US-### N/S/E/W. So, assuming everything works correctly, "(Construction Zone)" on an Interstate will never be seen, whereas a US highway's shield will be broken by the phrase.
By the question of whether shield generation is instant, I would imagine that the concern would not so much be if the shield would be broken, but whether it would be fixed when (Construction Zone) is removed.

Was there a point in time where shield generation became more strict? For US highways, I've seen a shield on "Old US-23" as well as a number of US-#### N/S/E/W. If we created a new one with the direction indicated where there was previously the same shielded street name + city name combination, you don't think we would get a shield?
davielde
Send a message
WME Michigan

Post by dbraughlr
  • A construction zone is drivable (connected) with potential delays, hazards, detours including lane closures, and scheduled overnight closures.
  • A closed road is not drivable (bridge out, wash out, rebuild, security concerns, etc) and might or might not being undergoing repairs. If permanent, then the road is effectively disconnected.
  • Under construction means that a new segment will open in the future as a drivable road but until then, it is not drivable. It could be connected to the roadway with a scheduled restriction.
dbraughlr
Send a message

Post by Fredo-p
Do shielded roads have any importance? If a shielded road looses its shield, does that have any effect on routing, or is it just for aesthetic reasons?
Fredo-p
Send a message

Arizona Wiki | @Waze_Arizona Twitter
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S8+

Post by Fredo-p
PesachZ wrote: Perhaps long term construction projects, validated by editors could be paced on the client map using these road alerts without ever having to rename roads.

Just a thought, not sure if it's even practical to implement, but I'm pretty sure it's plausible. Even better would be if they allowed editors to place the alerts directly and specify start and end dates.
I know there is a closure doc that gets filled out when a road closure is know ahead of time. Those tasked would then place the needed restrictions.

With construction zones, maybe it could be possible to have R5 and/or R6/Champs be given a secondary sub-menu for road types that lists road conditions. This way only authorized editors can correctly place the required secondary tag (construction zone, closed).

The secondary menu, as mentioned above, would have the choices of Construction Zone, Closed, and ----. Or, it could be an access only option, like turn restrictions, where an editor can enter the road condition and dates if applicable.
Fredo-p
Send a message

Arizona Wiki | @Waze_Arizona Twitter
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S8+