[Script] WME Validator 1.1.16 / 29.01.2016

Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

Moderator: Unholy

Forum rules
Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

DO NOT START a new thread unless it is about a new idea. Keep discussion of existing tools within the main thread for that tool.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

Re: [Script] WME Validator 0.6.1 (BETA) / 05.02.2014

Postby paulkok_my » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:24 pm

berestovskyy wrote:
eclectice wrote:Any way to enforce ramps according to guidelines?

Sure, but different countries have different guidelines. Sorry, I have no clue where you are from :?

At the moment I'd like to see bug reports more than ever :mrgreen:
He is from Malaysia :mrgreen:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
ImageImageImageImageImage
Area Manager: Shah Alam / Klang, Southern Region, Malaysia
Asus Zenfone 2 on Android 5.0

Join our FB group: Peninsular Malaysia, Sabah/Sarawak
or Google+ group: Waze in Malaysia on Google+
paulkok_my
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby davidg666 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:53 pm

I've found what I consider to a bug: unneeded node reported between two segments where one of the segments has time-based restrictions and the other doesn't.

If you look here, there's a pair of segments, and Validator considers the node between them to be unneeded, however the top segment has time-based restrictions (there's a gate there that's closed at night) but the lower segment has no such restriction.

If you think this is a real bug, can you disable reporting of unneeded nodes in cases where one segment has time-based restrictions and the other doesn't? I expect this is a change that should be common to all countries, not just Ireland.

thanks!

++David \ davidg666
Country manager and local champ for Ireland
AM for Dublin, Wicklow, Kilkenny, Wexford, Graiguenamanagh and Enniscorthy

davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Re: unneded nodes

Postby dbraughlr » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:17 pm

Previously, unneeded nodes were reported for those used for change of elevation and road type also. I haven't re-tested.
dbraughlr

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:18 pm

davidg666 wrote:If you look here, there's a pair of segments, and Validator considers the node between them to be unneeded, however the top segment has time-based restrictions (there's a gate there that's closed at night) but the lower segment has no such restriction.

I don't get this. Why would you ever traverse the lower segment just to turn around? Why not have a single segment with the restriction? It doesn't go anywhere else, so regardless of whether it is one or two segments, the routing effect is identical. Or else I'm not getting it...

If Waze thinks the destination is closer to the segment with restrictions than any other segment, it will override the segment restrictions. This is just like any turn restriction.

The only thing this segment restriction does is affect travel along the whole segment, so having two parts is unnecessary.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.2.1 | Waze v4.2b
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby dbraughlr » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:22 pm

As for me, I like having a node at the gate. It makes it easier to find the point of access control between the public side and the private side even though there might be no reason to drive up to the gate when it is closed and it makes an "unneeded" node.
dbraughlr

Postby davidg666 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:41 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
davidg666 wrote:If you look here, there's a pair of segments, and Validator considers the node between them to be unneeded, however the top segment has time-based restrictions (there's a gate there that's closed at night) but the lower segment has no such restriction.

I don't get this. Why would you ever traverse the lower segment just to turn around? Why not have a single segment with the restriction? It doesn't go anywhere else, so regardless of whether it is one or two segments, the routing effect is identical. Or else I'm not getting it...

If Waze thinks the destination is closer to the segment with restrictions than any other segment, it will override the segment restrictions. This is just like any turn restriction.

The only thing this segment restriction does is affect travel along the whole segment, so having two parts is unnecessary.

There are two buildings on the inside of the gate that are accessible at all times from inside the park (it's a very large park with roads throughout that doesn't close completely at night - just the smaller gates close at night). Access to these buildings shouldn't be restricted, only passage *through* the gate should be restricted.

I agree that restricting one single segment would have the same effect on routing because the restriction just imposes a routing penalty and there's no other way to the part of this road that remains accessible, however it feels wrong to mark a bit of road as time-restricted when it isn't.

++David \ davidg666
Country manager and local champ for Ireland
AM for Dublin, Wicklow, Kilkenny, Wexford, Graiguenamanagh and Enniscorthy

davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby Timbones » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:50 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:If Waze thinks the destination is closer to the segment with restrictions than any other segment, it will override the segment restrictions. This is just like any turn restriction.

Are you sure? In tests I did a little while ago, Waze acted as if the restricted roads didn't exist at all...
(behaviour may have changed since, without warning, as it often does)
Timbones(6) • UK Coordinator • Forum Moderator • Global Wiki Moderator • Routing Expert
Extensions: WME Colour HighlightsWME Route TesterWME Geometries
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:51 pm

Timbones wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:If Waze thinks the destination is closer to the segment with restrictions than any other segment, it will override the segment restrictions. This is just like any turn restriction.

Are you sure? In tests I did a little while ago, Waze acted as if the restricted roads didn't exist at all...
(behaviour may have changed since, without warning, as it often does)

Things change all the time, so I very well could be wrong. In fact, that'd be great in this case!
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.2.1 | Waze v4.2b
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby sketch » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:21 pm

^ (here, in response to Alan/Timbones)

Consider someone going to one of the buildings near the gate, after the gate is closed. If Waze doesn't ignore restricted roads entirely, having the restriction on the whole segment would make Waze indifferent to which direction it came into the segment, and would be just as likely to send you through the closed gate as it would be to send you through the complex (the "possible" way). If Waze does ignore restricted roads entirely, it'll send you to R806 instead of North Rd (inside the complex), which is unhelpful because those buildings are inside the fence.
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
new orleans based • detroit enthusiast • usa country manager
2013 ford focus titanium hatchback 5mt • performance blue
Image Image
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby ditchi56 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:08 pm

Here's another example. What we have here is a road with a locked gate in the middle, to which only the residents have a key. Each end of the road is accessible to everybody, but only key holders can pass through.

If the central section isn't on the map, and any of the residents start driving through the gate with Waze running, Map Problems will result. OK, they can be deleted, but better to avoid them in the first place - besides an editor not knowing the situation might react to the Map Problem by creating an unrestricted link.

With the central section in but restricted, non-residents never get routed along the road past the gate. Neither do residents, which isn't ideal, but at least they know the area and can make their own decision to ignore the Waze route when they want.

So in my view, Validator should be detecting that the restrictions are different each side of the node, and not flagging it for removal.
ditchi56
Country Manager
Country Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Addons, Extensions, and Scripts