Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

Forum rules
Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

DO NOT START a new thread unless it is about a new idea. Keep discussion of existing tools within the main thread for that tool.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

New(?) Idea - Custom Picture Underlay

Post by
Hi,

I've recently been mapping out a new housing estate from a mix of hand drawn maps, paved roads and URs.
I was wondering if it's possible to add a new layer for a locally selected picture to be laid between the satellite view and the roads, possibly with a scale, transparency & rotation option? Specifically, i'm thinking of scanning the hand drawn map in and then tweaking it to lay over the drawn GPS points so that road names etc and specific features can be added.

Just a ponderation!

Thanks.

POSTER_ID:16410033

Send a message

AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by AndyPoms
dbraughlr wrote:Also sources are specifications for highway interchanges, government GIS, community plans, and low altitude aerial photography (requires radial stretching).
Please note that Waze is only licensed to use the aerials that are built into WME - use of other aerials/maps is a violation of copyright law and can result in large areas of the map being deleted (and has). The OP specifically states using a hand drawn map which they created.
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
USA Country Manager

Post by AndyPoms
dbraughlr wrote:Photographs that I take myself are not copyrighted. I am licensed to use them anywhere and as often as I like.
Technically they are copyrighted - by YOU - and yes, you can use them as you see fit. HOWEVER, Waze can't be held responsible for anything you do on your own - i.e. you can't use them and then try to charge Waze for their use or try to sue them for not licensing them from you.
dbraughlr wrote:I used an engineering diagram for an interchange. I challenge you to show what law that violates or what license is required.
This one is actually in a grey area. The diagram you link to (I think you are referring to the Interchange Configuration link on that page you linked to) wasn't created by the state (or city) - it was created by Wood Rogers, Inc. for the state (or city). This is different than a government work - it is a work for hire (for the government). Personally I see this type of diagram as being more on the acceptable side, but I am not a lawyer and this does sentence does not constitute legal advice, nor does it speak for Waze in any way, shape, or form.

See https://www.waze.com/wiki/Using_external_sources for the official policy. Also the Waze staff has said
Waze Staff wrote:In general, using all external map sources, outside the Waze tools are prohibited (including Google maps).
You can use the data within the Waze tools - including Street View and Google aerial maps in the Map Editor.
Waze Staff wrote:The usage of resources outside of what we show inside Waze is prohibited unless approved by Waze (we will gladly check if the source is legit).

So all the following examples are not allowed:
  • Checking if the street name is correct.
  • Adding street names by reading and typing them from another map.
  • Adding new roads copying the shape from another map (by hand).
  • Adding new roads copying the shape from another map with a script.
So there are a very simple Do's and Don'ts:
Do - use Waze editor with Waze resources within the Waze site.
Don't - all the rest unless asked and approved.

That is why we show Street View images only, without additional data which might not be legally approved for usage.
Waze Staff wrote:In the US, if the information is provided by state official sites (DOT) like the Tiger, you can use the data as a reference.
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
USA Country Manager

Post by CBenson
dbraughlr wrote:Not everything is copyrighted, certainly not engineering plans that are available free from government websites. It's not like we are stealing their design.
What makes you think engineering plans available from government websites are not copyrighted?
It is owned by the government and placed in the public domain.
What indicates that the diagram is either owned by the government or is placed in the public domain?

I not saying you can't reference the drawing, but saying it isn't copyrighted seems unlikely to me.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
qwaletee wrote:The Supreme Court says so.
Waze covers a much larger area than the jurisdiction of the Supreme Court does.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by dbraughlr
Also sources are specifications for highway interchanges, government GIS, community plans, and low altitude aerial photography (requires radial stretching).
dbraughlr
Send a message

Post by dbraughlr
Photographs that I take myself are not copyrighted. I am licensed to use them anywhere and as often as I like.

I used an engineering diagram for an interchange. I challenge you to show what law that violates or what license is required.
dbraughlr
Send a message

Post by dbraughlr
AndyPoms wrote:Waze can't be held responsible for anything you do on your own - i.e. you can't use them and then try to charge Waze for their use or try to sue them for not licensing them from you.
I suppose I'll get to that right after I win a suit for decent wages and benefits.

The official policy refers to any "external copyrighted source".
Not everything is copyrighted, certainly not engineering plans that are available free from government websites. It's not like we are stealing their design.
In the US, if the information is provided by state official sites (DOT) like the Tiger, you can use the data as a reference.
What is gray about this? Who created the work is unimportant. It is owned by the government and placed in the public domain. If you think it is a gray area, please ask Waze to rule on it.
dbraughlr
Send a message

Post by iainhouse
CBenson wrote:
qwaletee wrote:The Supreme Court says so.
Waze covers a much larger area than the jurisdiction of the Supreme Court does.
Someone should remind the Supreme Court of that. :lol:
iainhouse
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Answers: 1
Send a message
https://storage.googleapis.com/wazeoped ... c4/AGC.pnghttps://sign.waze.tools/s2000.pnghttps://sign.waze.tools/c6.png
My scripts: WME FixUI WME Presets :ugeek:
I want to go to a commune in Vermont and deal with no unit of time shorter than a season

Post by OhioStMusicMan
Taco909 wrote:Based on the above exchange, is this now permitted?
From what I'm reading, it sounds like I am not even allowed to drive to a location and write down street names in a new development that has been paved and needs editing.
This is the end of the entry regarding external sources:
Waze Staff wrote:Note that external copyright information does not include any source of information that is provided by Waze through the internal tools of the online editor or application. Also any information developed independently by a user being physically present at a site is acceptable to add to the map as long as it is provided without copyright. (emphasis added)
So, of course, physically going somewhere and getting information is perfectly valid. Otherwise, URs wouldn't be allowed! That being said, basically, if you're using data from a private entity, chances are it is copyrighted and it's not a good idea to use it (eg., using Mapquest map info to modify the waze map). Documents/maps made by the federal government are not protected by copyright BUT documents made by individual states or localities COULD be (thank you 10th amendment). So, to be safe, do a bit of background digging to make sure you're safe.

With all of that said, I could certainly use such a tool with items I know are in the clear! ;)
OhioStMusicMan
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message