You MUST read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before posting here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate WME version release thread found in the Waze Map Editor forum (parent of this forum).

Forum rules
You MUST read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before posting here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze Map Editor forum (parent of this forum).

Add Continue Straight and Other Nav Instructions

Post by kentsmith9
Ever since I started using Waze we have discussed the need for a Continue Straight or Continue on the Current Road instruction. I constantly hear about it as a future feature, but still it does not come to life.

I recently reviewed the open/pending features/bugs in Bugzilla and I cannot find anything like this feature. Now that does not mean it does not exist in the developers list of things to do, but I would like to create an entry with our recommendations. I am posting this thread to get community feedback on such a feature.

Here are my thoughts for what I will put in the Bugzilla report.

Continue Straight
1. When a junction is created, enable the ability for the editor to check a box that will force a navigation instruction for what would otherwise be the straight though route today.
1.1 "Continue on the current road" instruction if the road name does not change
1.2 "Continue straight" if the road name changes, but no change in driving angle is present to give an idea that the road has changed.

Only One Segment Possible for the Continuation
2. If a junction provides only a single exit from a segment and the road name changes, force a navigation instruction of any of the available turn or keep left/right instructions.
2.1 If the road name does not change and no other segment connects, then no instruction is required (as it works today).
2.2 If the road name does not change, but other segments are connected to the junction but are all disabled turns or not possible due to traffic flow directions, provide a navigation instruction to prevent confusion by the driver. They may not realize all the other turns are not possible and would benefit from a navigation instruction at that multi-segment junction.

Alternate Navigation Instructions
3. There are more complex intersections where a turn is not necessarily a hard right/left turn at 90 degrees. Today we have a "Keep right/left", "Turn right/left", "Exit right/left". We need additional turn instructions especially when an intersection has more than 4 roads intersecting, or they are not at right angles to each other or the incoming road. Check the street view from this segment to see an example https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=8&lat ... ts=5277714
3.1 Turn slight right/left - intersections with 22-67 degree turns from straight.
3.2 Turn hard right/left - intersections with 100+ degree turns from straight.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

POSTER_ID:7009939

Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
CBenson wrote:Would a simple check box do? What element would the check box be associated with? I think you might need to identify both segments, the one you are leaving and the one you are entering and be able to indicate if going from one to the other then you should get a continue straight instruction.
I agree there is probably more in the details to spec out. At one point I was thinking about following something similar to Time-based turn restrictions. It is very related. Maybe there is a way to trigger off the turn arrows like we do today. Maybe it is the other side of the arrow. :mrgreen:
CBenson wrote:I would also note that I didn't think any jurisdiction has both "Exit right" and "Exit left" instructions. Right hand drive jurisdictions have "Exit rights" and left hand drive jurisdictions have "Exit lefts." It would be nice to have ability to trigger both globally.
Agreed. Restated in case someone did not follow completely. The US (in particular but not exclusively) generally has Exit Right roadways, but there are Exit Left examples in all states, so it would be good to have control of what is said.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
jondrush wrote:Because there are hundreds of thousands of basic intersections where continue straight is the correct command. We shouldn't need to add a junction box to get that command.
This is absolutely true. Maybe we should separate our request into two separate ones so that continue straight can be solved outside of junction boxes.

As for waiting on junction boxes for the other turn instruction control, I would feel better about waiting if we got some level of confidence it was actually in the works or maybe had a target release. I did not find it in Bugzilla, so added it from our Feature Request list just now. https://bugs.waze.com/show_bug.cgi?id=6382 (Vote if you have authority).

Maybe Brian can add more details to the Bugzilla for the community to see the proposal.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
Thinking about this more, I love the junction box/object, but as Jon mentioned I am not sure we want to have to add a whole junction object to every 3 way split just to control if you get Keep Left vs Turn Left vs Exit Left.

I still think we need someone to control or change the default settings in a standard junction.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
mgg4nic wrote:
CBenson wrote:I would also note that I didn't think any jurisdiction has both "Exit right" and "Exit left" instructions. Right hand drive jurisdictions have "Exit rights" and left hand drive jurisdictions have "Exit lefts." It would be nice to have ability to trigger both globally.
There are several examples of "Exit left" in the US. While I can only really speak for California, and the Bay Area in particular, I know of several left side exits. Normally you are correct that in the US we exit right, there are enough exceptions that the ability to set both right and left exits really needs to be enabled globally.
CBenson is saying what Waze is doing, not what is the practice in any area. You are in agreement that we want to have control because many areas have both exit types.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
Do any of the Global champs know any status updates to a "Continue" instruction, or did I miss that is planned for Junction Boxes?
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by mapcat
Timbones wrote:Furthermore, we'd really like to have a 'soft instruction' which is read out by TTS (once), but not shown on the display or in the route list. This is so that the driver can see how far it is to the real exit from the Motorway, but still get the occasional nag to move out of the lane which could exit them prematurely. Optionally, these 'soft instructions' can be turned off completely for those that would prefer not to hear them.
This is exactly the solution I'd prefer. A simple instruction that doesn't unnecessarily lengthen the navigation list, and an option to turn it off.

One instance of "in 1 mile, stay left" would be ideal. It annoys me to hear, repeatedly, "in [distance], keep left to I-71 S" when I'm already on I-71 S, paying attention to what road I'm on, and only expecting to hear the name of the next exit. When the Big Green Sign spanning the freeway makes it obvious that to stay on I-71 I need to get out of the right lane, I manage to do so without being told, just as I did for the 20+ years I drove without a GPS. And on the occasions I could not get over in time and had to exit, there was always a sign at the end of the ramp directing me back where I needed to go.

If the app gives instructions for every movement, the value of each instruction decreases incrementally. I have to separate the useful instructions from the non-useful, which requires brainpower that should be devoted to something else, like watching the vehicles around mine. Maybe it's just my ADHD, but I can't imagine I'm the only one irritated by this.

Back to the OP, a continue straight instruction (using a junction box, or otherwise) would make navigating through a 3-way road split much simpler. +1.
mapcat
Send a message
CM, USA/Canada ∙ iPhone 5 ∙ iOS 7.1

Post by mgg4nic
There are several examples of "Exit left" in the US. While I can only really speak for California, and the Bay Area in particular, I know of several left side exits. Normally you are correct that in the US we exit right, there are enough exceptions that the ability to set both right and left exits really needs to be enabled globally.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
mgg4nic
Send a message
iPad 4 and iPhone 6 Plus - Waze Ver 4.4.0.0
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/5/5a/W ... M_only.png
Semi-active, casual editor, who used to be very active.

Post by MGODLEW
I agree, there definitely should be an option to force instructions Keep right/left vs Exit right/left & continue straight ect. The whole adjusting angles thing confuses many editors.
MGODLEW
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
I am best reached via Discord, give me an “@“

Post by MGODLEW
I think these might be some good examples where "Continue Straight" would be useful, there have been many URs here saying no direction prompt was given which is why we had to create "Wayfinders" Permalink 1 & Permalink 2
MGODLEW
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
I am best reached via Discord, give me an “@“