Split road and at grade connector editor "jollyness" ??

Moderators: MapSir, jemay

Re: Split road and at grade connector editor "jollyness" ??

Postby SuperDave1426 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:32 am

The policy already IS to read the Wiki before you start editing (which includes information about not splitting roads except in specific circumstances). The problem is, a lot of new editors don't seem to do so - they just start editing as soon as they discover they can.... :?

I think the first time you start up the editor, it should stick up a pop up with a link to the Wiki, with a note that you should read that before you start, and ask them to check a box that says that they understand this before it allows you to start editing. It still can't force them to do so, obviously, but it make it REALLY obvious to new editors (many of whom have just watched a video that Waze provides showing how easy it is to edit the map...) that there's a written resource that they should be going through first.

It'll probably never happen, though... :(
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby cactusmonkey1966 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:07 pm

The links are old actually, so they've been fixed. Maybe I should post some examples here. Our level 6 agreed with me that an area I fixed didn't need split roads, but then again not to go back and eliminate the splits. Lots of effort to un split for questionable return benefit likely. Maybe the main point here should be before having major surgery to make the roads look like google, maybe check the wiki first, then the forums, then even post a permalink to get higher ranking opinions before changing something major.
cactusmonkey1966
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby SuperDave1426 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:42 pm

Just my opinion - I don't see anything wrong with the at-grade connectors at the location in the permalink. Those roads are far enough away from the main intersection that people traveling them could very well start tripping "road too far apart" MPs. The at-grade connectors there should keep those from happening (and who knows - maybe whoever put them there did so in response to a MP).

As to over-enthusiastic low-level road splitters, were those done by rank 1 or rank 2 editors? Again, strictly my own opinion here, but I tend to favor the "lock at lowest level needed to protect" approach on important roads (Primary Street and above) if there have been problems. If you can get away with locking it at rank 2, do that. If it was a rank 2 that gave you the problems, then lock at rank 3.

Remember, this is supposed to be a community effort; if you lock everything out so that nobody but "high rank levels" can edit anything, nobody is going to want to contribute. Obviously, the down side of that is that you end up with newbies who occasionally screw something up.

And in all cases, if possible, contact the person who made the mistakes, let them know about it, point 'em at the Wiki, and try to get them to fix it - that way, you encourage them to learn to do it right. Of course, it might not always be possible to get hold of them.

One of MY biggest "things that bother me" about all this is that Waze allows you to edit without creating a forum account, which makes it hard to notify an errant editor. I really wish that they'd make a requirement that you MUST create a forum account, which has a confirmed working E-Mail address, before you're allowed to edit the map at any level. Not that that's likely to happen.... :(
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby davielde » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:30 am

It looks like that reference was for CH version 1.5, so maybe that anonymous editor search has been deprecated since? So zoom down, pan around, and keep refreshing the Editor drop down :-)

How did I end up in the Nevada forum anyway? Silly Tapatalk doesn't make it clear enough, so sorry to provide misinformation and be in your state forum to begin with...

I'll stick to subjects i know about... So, anyone tried Bibo coffee by U Nevada Reno...? :-D
davielde

Postby davielde » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:45 pm

Area manager then...
davielde

Re: Split road and at grade connector editor

Postby davielde » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:02 pm

Ahh, I see my mistake. I got caught up in the second part of irowiki's post and glossed over the first part. I assumed that irowiki was talking about all of the advanced options.
davielde

Postby SuperDave1426 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:53 pm

davielde wrote:Tapatalk won't show it for me, but looking at it on a computer, I can see your signature says that you are an AM. The documentation for Color Highlights shows advanced options for area managers only. You may want to PM Timbones or post in the CH thread if you cannot get them to appear.

Ah, I didn't realize that Tapatalk doesn't show you the signatures in forum postings.

Yea, the only options I get are these:

[ img ]

As you can see, there are no options there for filtering to highlight edits made by usa_* and world_* editors. Of course, in the picture that you included in your posting, I didn't see the presence of those options, either, so I'm not sure they really exist....
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby davielde » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:00 pm

SuperDave1426 wrote:
davielde wrote:Area manager then...

Check my signature.... :D

Tapatalk won't show it for me, but looking at it on a computer, I can see your signature says that you are an AM. The documentation for Color Highlights shows advanced options for area managers only. You may want to PM Timbones or post in the CH thread if you cannot get them to appear.

[ img ]
davielde

Postby SuperDave1426 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:56 pm

davielde wrote:Area manager then...

Check my signature.... :D ;)

To be clear, I'm talking about the part where he mentions - Highlight segments by anonymous editors (usa_* and world_*). I don't see any such option available.
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager

Previous

Return to Nevada