New wiki proposal: Reports

Moderator: Unholy

Re: New wiki proposal: Reports

Postby sketch » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:43 pm

Aha, true that. It's something I came across today, or else I probably wouldn't have thought about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
new orleans based • detroit enthusiast • usa country manager
2013 ford focus titanium hatchback 5mt • performance blue
Image Image
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jdeyoung » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:52 pm

mapcat wrote:
sketch wrote:I added "—in many jurisdictions, moving over is required by law." to the Police section.

Thanks.

I think we should also add something like this, perhaps a small subsection about reporting on freeways: "If you're on a freeway entrance ramp, and there's a reportable event (police car, accident, etc.) on the freeway itself, be sure to wait until you're actually on the freeway to press the Report button, so that drivers on the freeway will be notified. Conversely, if you're on a freeway, and there's a reportable event near an entrance or exit ramp, try to time your report so that entering/exiting traffic will or won't be notified, depending on whether it's relevant to them or not.

Sure, I agree, but at the same time how much do we need to micromanage these? I'm just hoping for a world with fewer "rain" and "vehicle stopped on shoulder" reports...making this feature work perfectly is just a pipe dream. It is Waze, after all! :lol:

I am all in favor of having a way to point reporters to a wiki page, but the real question is...How?
I travel a route on a daily basis and often see multiple reports for rain or snow at intervals along my route. I doubt those reporters would go to a wiki page to see if they are in compliance. Those reporters view those hazards as road commentaries rather than reporting an instance of a real problem. I know reporters are prevented from reporting too many things within a span of time, but there's no tracking of how many days they do it. Maybe the feature request ought to be an additional option besides the thanks/thumb's-up so that editors of a certain level can contact/remind the reporter of the rules.
AM Chicago, NW Indiana, SW Lower MI
jdeyoung

Location: Greater Chicago Metro area, NW Indiana, SW Lower MI, USA

Postby mapcat » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:40 pm

Sure, it's unlikely that most users will seek out guidance before making their first reports, but the point is to establish a set of guidelines so that anyone misusing the feature can be pointed to it, via PM or responses to reports in the app.

A report abuse option on reports in the app is likely to be abused IMO.
CM, USA/Canada ∙ iPhone 5 ∙ iOS 7.1
mapcat

Postby jdeyoung » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:14 pm

I agree about that being abused, and wasn't seriously mentioning that as a feature request. There are far too many other good requests ahead of this ;) But I rarely have time to see/remember the reporter (assuming they didn't go on as anonymous), so unless it is quite egregious and repetitive, I won't remember enough to PM them later. As I said, having the information available to point the offenders to is good thing, but the drivers who knowingly do this are not likely to pay that much attention.
AM Chicago, NW Indiana, SW Lower MI
jdeyoung

Location: Greater Chicago Metro area, NW Indiana, SW Lower MI, USA

Previous

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion