Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by sketch
Sounds like a good idea. I don't know that I'd recommend voice commands to anyone at this point—I can almost never get them to work. I don't know if our new Google overlords have improved that, however.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by sketch
Hah, y'all call it a "gapers' block" up there? I think "rubbernecking" might be a more universal term, but I don't know. Maybe it's just me.

Nice work on the Roadkill bit.

--
I made one change under traffic jam:
from: If you do not expect to be moving at a normal speed soon, respond to the prompt by picking the appropriate situation (moderate, heavy, or standstill).
to: If you do not expect to be moving at a normal speed soon, tap "yes" and pick the appropriate situation (moderate, heavy, or standstill).

"pick the appropriate situation" could probably stand to be rewritten as something like "select the appropriate traffic density level", but I haven't had my coffee yet.

--
The divisions of the "hazard" section read a little confusingly. The "on road" / "on shoulder" headings are not much bigger than the specific report headings. The same problem is sort of averted in the "map issues" section later because of the large intro paragraph. Maybe it would be better to use simple bold print instead of headings for the specific report types, like--

"Object on road. Report objects that are large or mobile, or otherwise likely to cause drivers to slow down abruptly or swerve."

That would also avoid cluttering the table of contents.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:

Post by sketch
I added "—in many jurisdictions, moving over is required by law." to the Police section.

I think we should also add something like this, perhaps a small subsection about reporting on freeways: "If you're on a freeway entrance ramp, and there's a reportable event (police car, accident, etc.) on the freeway itself, be sure to wait until you're actually on the freeway to press the Report button, so that drivers on the freeway will be notified. Conversely, if you're on a freeway, and there's a reportable event near an entrance or exit ramp, try to time your report so that entering/exiting traffic will or won't be notified, depending on whether it's relevant to them or not.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
Aha, true that. It's something I came across today, or else I probably wouldn't have thought about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message