Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

695 Exit 13 to MD 144 closure

Post by elliottp
Hello, I noticed that exit 13 is closed on the innerloop of 695. Someone named it "closed" on the editor, but the app still routed me that way. I checked and there is no turn restriction on that ramp. I marked it as closed on the app. Perhaps an L3 editor can change the turn restriction because I find that the in app closures are not 'sticky' very long.

Pictures of the signs.

Segment location on WME
elliottp

POSTER_ID:182067

Send a message

Post by CBenson
I not sure I understand the problem with disconnecting the road even if waze is going to flag the gaps. Flags would be for editors to verify if there is a problem, not necessarily to indicate that something must be changed. I'm not convinced that turn restrictions or time based restrictions are the way to go as there are conditions when waze will route through both.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by kodi75
I did see that last Sunday driving to old town Ellicott City, but Waze was already routing me via Wilkens so I thought the Frederick Rd ramp had already been taken care of.

I placed a 24/7 restriction on the ramp.

Do you know when it will re-open? The SHA Project page is vague.
kodi75
Country Manager
Country Manager
Answers: 1
Send a message

Post by kodi75
A status update from SHA:
2/5/2014 CONSTRUCTION UPDATE - WINTER 2014

SHA and its contractor have closed the existing ramp from the inner loop I-695 to Frederick Road, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. This ramp closure is necessary for crews to construct a new interchange ramp on a new alignment to meet the width and height of the new Frederick Road bridge over I-695 and improve interchange ramp traffic operations.

Due to the unusually low temperatures and number of snowstorms this year, construction work at the ramp has been delayed. The ramp relocation work for the project will proceed once weather conditions permit.

Detour: northbound I-695 to Edmondson Avenue, exit 14, turn left onto westbound Edmondson Avenue, turn right onto the ramp to southbound I-695 and then exit onto Frederick Road.
kodi75
Country Manager
Country Manager
Answers: 1
Send a message

Post by nzahn1
I physically disconnected and locked the ramp the week the closure started in 2013. I'm not sure what happened in the mean time.
nzahn1
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

US Global Champ | MAR Coordinator | iOS Beta | WME Beta | Localizer
WME Profile | E-mail | MAR Forum | MAR Wiki | MD Twitter

Post by nzahn1
Drove thru the area last night and tried for get waze to route me on the ramp. I wasn't allowed. Just a anecdote, but it appears the turn/type restriction is working; for now.

I still prefer the disconnect route.

In addition, I would have preferred to "pave" the new road rather than guesstimate. I prefer ground truthed data.
nzahn1
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

US Global Champ | MAR Coordinator | iOS Beta | WME Beta | Localizer
WME Profile | E-mail | MAR Forum | MAR Wiki | MD Twitter

Post by trooster10
This was my doing - see the MD construction thread for a few posts on this. A CM contacted me about this specific ramp, and told me that I needed to reconnect segments like this that we've disconnected due to construction, and instead use full-time segment restrictions, since Waze was going to start flagging these gaps (not sure exactly what he meant). I was skeptical that users could still be routed along it, but I made the changes to appease him and see if it would work since it'd make opening/closing segments a little easier. Thankfully I only did this in one place since it clearly didn't function as intended. Do we think that adding the turn restriction will be enough, or do we need to disconnect it again?

Also, I don't know when the ramp will reopen. The 3-week closure has lasted 2 months.
trooster10
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
Thomas R. - Level 5 Editor
State Manager - Maryland