The place to discuss editing specifically related to house numbering (addresses): how to optimize locations, set stop-points, etc.

Number on correct street, user directed to turn incorrectly

Post by djbolden
https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=7&lat ... layers=901

A user reported that they were directed to turn onto Chunns Cove Rd to reach Homewood Suites on Tunnel Road. The house number is correctly attached to the appropriate segment of Tunnel Road. I've moved the Google Maps marker closer to the entrance (if the change is accepted). Is there anything more I can do?

dj
djbolden

POSTER_ID:16863184

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Was the search by name (POI) or by address? Those are two separate markers in google. Or, did you move both of them?

I would suggest you add a PLot segment from Tunnel Rd so they get the last turn instruction.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
djbolden wrote:I don't know how the reporting user did the search, but I like your suggestion. I'll do that.
That's something you do need to ask. Changing just an address marker in google doesn't change the location of the business marker. You should, perhaps, just make sure to change both in google maps.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by djbolden
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:I would suggest you add a PLot segment from Tunnel Rd so they get the last turn instruction.

I don't know how the reporting user did the search, but I like your suggestion. I'll do that.
djbolden
Send a message

Post by djbolden
I'd never really noticed that the address marker and business marker in Google maps could be different. Upon review, the address marker was very close to Chunns Cove Road so I expect that was the problem. I've moved both markers so that should cover the reported problem.

Thanks!
djbolden
Send a message

Post by DwarfLord
slandrum wrote:It's worse than that. There can be several different business and address markers for the same address in Google Maps, and which one the user gets depends on exactly what they typed for the search (or which one they selected when Waze offered up more than one in its list of search results). And on top of that, you can't necessarily get Map Maker to give you the same pins that you get from Google Maps, so sometimes there are pins you can't move, and I've had very little luck getting anything helpful from Google when trying to get them fixed.
This is honestly the most discouraging thing I've heard since starting with Waze editing.

I already had mixed feelings about volunteering my time to help a company (Google) with the second biggest market capitalization in the US -- bigger than Exxon Mobil -- fix its database. But to volunteer my time to help it find and fix multiple and different incorrect positions for the same address is really pushing my buttons.

On the other hand, now that Waze is Google, maybe I'm just being silly :roll:
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message

Post by slandrum
It's worse than that. There can be several different business and address markers for the same address in Google Maps, and which one the user gets depends on exactly what they typed for the search (or which one they selected when Waze offered up more than one in its list of search results). And on top of that, you can't necessarily get Map Maker to give you the same pins that you get from Google Maps, so sometimes there are pins you can't move, and I've had very little luck getting anything helpful from Google when trying to get them fixed.
slandrum
Send a message
Orange County, CA, USA, Samsung Galaxy S3, Android 4.3 https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/2/24/W ... 2cones.png