Two-way Ramps vs. Routing [Split from WME Validator]

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: parallel paths to the same endpoints

Postby dbraughlr » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:36 pm

bobthedog007 wrote:There is a road that passes a fast food drive through and a small loop around the building for the actual drive through, causing the same endpoints problem.

That actually explains a lot. Waze avoids routing you in a way that bring you back to the same junction going in the same direction. Apparently, the bug is that when it reroutes you, it includes the junction that you already traversed (or that is the other endpoint of the segment that you are on); it shouldn't. But because it does, you cannot be routed around a loop.
dbraughlr

Re: two-way ramp rumor

Postby dbraughlr » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:12 am

If would be fine for an administrator to break out the various diversions into a separate thread.
Last edited by dbraughlr on Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
dbraughlr

Postby dbraughlr » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:49 am

sketch wrote:
dbraughlr wrote:What basis do you have to suspect that my understanding might be wrong?

Four and a half years on Waze and its forums have given me a pretty good understanding of how it all works.

You ignored my question. In an earlier post, you made an absurd statement based on your ignorance of me. I'll accept this as your retraction and apology.

sketch wrote:
dbraughlr wrote:An unsubstantiated rumor is not a substantial basis for a Validator warning.

At least we agree on this much. :!:
dbraughlr

Postby dbraughlr » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:55 pm

sketch wrote:If you're not willing to take a few champs' words for it, I don't know what else to

I do. You clearly misunderstood that I was talking about two-way ramps.

sketch wrote:All I'm saying is that your understanding of the penalty system may be wrong. Mis-understanding. I didn't blame you for it.

What basis do you have to suspect that my understanding might be wrong?
dbraughlr

Postby dbraughlr » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:39 pm

SuperDave1426 wrote:I really think this should be looked into more fully before making a change to the ramp direction check.

I didn't say that and don't want to. But how did the validation get in there?

People say that the "same endpoints" error is real. I am on the side of excluding the validation until it is shown that it is a still real problem, especially since the solution seem to be to insert an unneeded node node that will have to be removed after the bug is solved.

The dead-end U-turn seems to be a true bug. But having editors fix the dead-ends one-by-one seems like a poor way to solve the problem.

As for sketch's comments: I didn't start the rumor; so to suggest that it is based on my misunderstanding is entirely your misunderstanding. I'm just the messenger. You'll have to do your homework if you want to chide the originator of the rumor.
dbraughlr

Postby dbraughlr » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:21 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Ramp segments like this are all over and will stay that way because there is no good reason not to.

The rumor was that two-way ramps have caused routing issues.

I don't know the history of the rumor and have no good way to disprove or prove it.

A test case is a two-way ramp of considerable length (say, one-half mile) connected to two short one-way ramps connected to the freeway. When the on-ramp is restricted (closed), does Waze route the wrong way for a short distance over the off ramp to reach the highway?

The problem is that if a turn is permitted onto a ramp, the ramp should lead somewhere. When the one of the two short ramps is closed, the two-way portion might have to be made one-way in the direction that is still open to prevent routing problems.
With a one-way ramp, the entire ramp is either open or closed; thus Waze never encounters a dead-end while traversing a ramp.
Last edited by dbraughlr on Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dbraughlr

Re: Two-way Ramps vs. Routing [Split from WME Validator]

Postby CBenson » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:51 pm

voludu2 wrote:
sketch wrote:There's also the fact that Waze 4.x shows the name of the current road on screen,

There's something I actually haven't noticed while driving.

That would certainly lead to some different editing choices.

So does it do it for ramps segments? That would be a significant change as we do generally edit with the idea that ramp names won't display on the client map. Kind of surprised there haven't been complaints.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902
CBenson

Postby CBenson » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:57 am

I think it would work fine.
CBenson

Postby CBenson » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:53 am

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
CBenson wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:It's because the angle wasn't steep enough at the time. Now it does do as you'd expect and say "stay left".

I don't think any angle would give a stay left instruction if the two segments in the permalink were ramp segments. The road type continuity would make the ramp to the highway the best continuation and suppress the instruction.

It shows a stay left in livemap instructions.

But its no longer a ramp segment so there is not currently road type continuity.
CBenson

Postby CBenson » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:57 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
sketch wrote:Notice the lack of the "keep left" instruction onto the freeway.

It's because the angle wasn't steep enough at the time. Now it does do as you'd expect and say "stay left".

I don't think any angle would give a stay left instruction if the two segments in the permalink were ramp segments. The road type continuity would make the ramp to the highway the best continuation and suppress the instruction.
CBenson

PreviousNext

Return to Navigation & Routing