Detour detection mechanism in the wiki

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Detour detection mechanism in the wiki

Postby CBenson » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:31 pm

In response to the routing discussed here waze has confirmed that the big detour prevention mechanism is merely a high penalty that may not be effective to prevent routing when the traffic on the highway is very slow. I thus propose to change
Waze routing will not present routes over a detour off a highway/freeway and back on that same highway/freeway when all of the following conditions are met:

to read
Waze routing will heavily penalize routes over a detour off a highway/freeway and back on that same highway/freeway when all of the following conditions are met:

We could also add a note that the detour prevention mechanism may not be effective in extremely slow traffic.
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CBenson » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:40 am

The proposals look good to me.
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:28 am

Criteria in Wiki wrote:
Waze routing will not present routes over a detour off a highway/freeway and back on that same highway/freeway when each of the following conditions are met:

1. the last segment on the highway/freeway before the detour has the same street name and same city name as the next highway/freeway segment after the detour (the segments are considered to have the same name if either the primary name or alternate names are the same, unnamed segments are not considered as having the same name),
2. the detour is more than one segment long, and
3. the detour is under the threshold length as defined below.

To be more clear I think it should say:
Criteria in Wiki wrote:
Waze routing will not present routes over a detour off a highway/freeway and back on that same highway/freeway when all of the following conditions are met:
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:25 am

CBenson wrote:Seems to me that it would be appropriate to note this on the detours page in a "Notes" or "Side-effects" section. I've added this to the detour page, but consider it a draft that can be freely edited. Is there any reason not to put this on the detour page?

I like it.

Clarification question:
New Addition to Detour Page wrote:Thus in the intersection below, the configuration on the left will be used to route a U-turn, but the configuration on the right will not.

I propose (if accurate):
Modified New Addition to Detour Page wrote:Thus in the intersection below, the configuration on the left will be used to route a U-turn because it uses a single segment between the two parallel roadways with the same name. In contrast, the configuration on the right will not use the U-Turn road because it branches from another segment causing multiple segments between the two parallel roads with the same name.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby sketch » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:06 am

That looks good to me.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CBenson » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:59 pm

Seems to me that it would be appropriate to note this on the detours page in a "Notes" or "Side-effects" section. I've added this to the detour page, but consider it a draft that can be freely edited. Is there any reason not to put this on the detour page?
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby sketch » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:49 pm

I've noticed that the detour mechanism affects a particular construction that's used in a few places around here. I'm not sure where this would best go in the Wiki, or if this configuration is used elsewhere, but I do think it should be here to guide editors.

Any time a U turn segment splits off from a left turn lane, U turns are prohibited by detour prevention — because 2 segments are required to make the U turn, it's treated as a detour.

This configuration does not work:
[ img ]

The configuration on the left works, the configuration on the right does not:
[ img ]

This configuration works:
[ img ]
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:01 am

CBenson wrote:Hmm, maybe just say detour prevention mechanism. Then have sections for both "big" detours and "small" detours. Can we say the following at this point?
Waze plans to implement a small detour prevention mechanism to deal with instances where waze calculates that that its a few seconds faster to to continue straight or make a right at an intersection a make a u-turn rather than just turning left. Waze will eliminate such detours if there is under a 30 sec difference in the routes.

It sounds good if we have any indication they will actually be getting to this as some point.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CBenson » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:08 pm

Hmm, maybe just say detour prevention mechanism. Then have sections for both "big" detours and "small" detours. Can we say the following at this point?
Waze plans to implement a small detour prevention mechanism to deal with instances where waze calculates that that its a few seconds faster to to continue straight or make a right at an intersection a make a u-turn rather than just turning left. Waze will eliminate such detours if there is under a 30 sec difference in the routes.
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:59 pm

CBenson wrote:Any input on what we should call it at this point?

Does Waze's official "name" make enough sense to the genpop?
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion