Ferry Mapping page

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Ferry Mapping page

Postby kentsmith9 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:51 pm

This generally sounds good. I think we should also list when and why not to add the Ferries discussed that cause problems like crossings longer than a few hours, must purchase ticket in advance, etc. We should also note in there that this feature will likely change with greater Ferry support in a future version (coming soon). :)
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby nhanway » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:02 pm

I have made my edits to talk page. let me know what you think and/or make changes to the page.

Thanks
Last edited by nhanway on Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Washington State Manager

nhanway
State Manager
State Manager

Postby petervdveen » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:37 pm

Timbones wrote:I'm reluctant to use Freeway or Highway for ferries, as on the map it will look like continuous roadway, which it isn't.

I don't think there are really a lot of Freeways (multi-lane with at grade junctions) with a ferry in between ;-)
Also, I have a very good experience with mapping in the same as the connecting roads.
Besides, I don't think there is much of a delay at ferries.

Example:
It shows 4 minutes and I think, for the time of the day now that's very accurate.
https://www.waze.com/livemap?zoom=17&la ... on=4.85497
petervdveen
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby kentsmith9 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:15 am

Nice work. I hope you don't mind that I did some formatting to match similar Wiki pages. I also added a Under construction message box to alert users who might happen to stumble onto this page before we are done.

I added some questions I think we should consider answering within the page and a couple of suggestions.

If you think any of my changes are incorrect let's fix them, but I think I have it captured based on this thread.

I did change the order of the decision tree for when to map ferries to start with the list of when not to map them. This is similar to the format we used for when NOT to split roads.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby nhanway » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:08 pm

Take a look at the ferry page and look over some of the improvements I have made. I think some of the steps could be made more clear...

I cant figure how to make step 3. move over to line up with the others... Currently its all the way over on the right... So if you can fix that, GREAT!

Let me know what you all think, make corrections or edits as necessary

I also added a section for future ferry support. Its full of Information I have gathered from the forum and from personal experience. Add/Edit that as necessary as well.

You can PM me if you have any other suggestions or comments you would rather not post on the forum.

Also maybe it would be a good idea to add a list of Ferry Experts at the bottom. Editors that have mapped and have a great deal of experience with ferries. Like myself. And include links to there contact information.
Washington State Manager

nhanway
State Manager
State Manager

Postby CBenson » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:24 pm

I'm don't understand what not mapping "Ferries with no set schedule" is intended to address. We have a few ferries that cross small rivers that run whenever a car shows up. Seems like they should be mapped.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby nhanway » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:55 pm

This is a good point. I will fix that. I think the intention was to prevent super small ferries that people might be directed to when they aren't running (like 3AM).

Do the Ferries you are referring to run 24-7?
Washington State Manager

nhanway
State Manager
State Manager

Postby CBenson » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:02 pm

nhanway wrote:Do the Ferries you are referring to run 24-7?

No, but I was addressing the operational times with the instruction to: "Be sure to set the time restrictions on the segment including the first ferry (opening time) and the last ferry (closing time)."
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:31 am

CBenson wrote:I'm don't understand what not mapping "Ferries with no set schedule" is intended to address. We have a few ferries that cross small rivers that run whenever a car shows up. Seems like they should be mapped.

The intent I understood was a "Ferry that had no set schedule AND could be a long wait like 30+ minutes." Maybe they do not exist so no need to worry about them.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:42 am

Nice work so far.
nhanway wrote:I cant figure how to make step 3. move over to line up with the others... Currently its all the way over on the right... So if you can fix that, GREAT!

Does this look like you wanted?

nhanway wrote:I also added a section for future ferry support. Its full of Information I have gathered from the forum and from personal experience. Add/Edit that as necessary as well.

I converted into more objective terminology to follow other Wiki pages better.

nhanway wrote:Also maybe it would be a good idea to add a list of Ferry Experts at the bottom. Editors that have mapped and have a great deal of experience with ferries. Like myself. And include links to there contact information.

I wonder if that should be put either on the talk page (once we move this to the live page) and/or here in the forum. (IMO) I don't think the main page for Ferries would be appropriate.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion