Ferry Mapping page

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Ferry Mapping page

Postby kentsmith9 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:49 am

It looks great on my side. I added another internally formatting template. It may fix what you are seeing. Can you post a screen shot?
Attachments
FerryPageImage.png
FerryPageImage.png (526.4 KiB) Viewed 361 times
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:50 pm

nhanway wrote:The 3 in step 3 is in the correct location now. I'm not sure what was happening but is all good now.

Like I said I added a formatting template that for some reason was not required in my view, but was for yours. That template should prevent it from being a problem either way now.

nhanway wrote:So any objections to moving all this from the talk page to the actual "how to map ferries" page?

I do not, but I would recommend we rename the new page to simply "Ferries" as a more general page name. That way we can add other information on Ferries that is not necessarily how to map them.

When creating a new page you have two options:
1. Go into edit mode for the page, copy the content, and then create a brand new page with the desired name. The result is a first page entry in the history with the entire content as one entry. The history for the changes are no longer present, but since this page was a collaboration in the forum I don't think it is useful because nhanway was making changes on behalf of himself and other inputs. This method leaves the original temporary page in tact which is not good, so we just need to delete it. I can do that after the other page is created.

2. Use the Move option to effectively rename the page. This can be done between namespaces like we need here going from the Talk page to the Main namespace. This will keep the history of all prior edits and will not require deleting the old page since it is just renamed.

So I propose #1 for this page as explained above.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:51 am

Excellent. I reset the old page to a redirect to the new in case someone searches that exact name.

I went through and added a number of internal Wikilinks to the new Ferries page. That point out a number of missing redirects to what I thought were commonly searched terms for other operations. For all of those I created new redirects to the appropriate Wiki section.

The section on Future Ferry Support is better placed on the talk page since it could inspire discussion. I moved it there and also put a link from the main page.

The talk page also links back to this forum entry.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:27 pm

Seems like a good idea.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:10 pm

I added a link back to this page in the message box warning not to use the type yet.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby mrgrumpy » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:09 am

Timbones wrote:The examples I've posted seem to work just fine using service roads.

Yes, they do. Don't like the idea of using the same road type as Tim says.

I also don't really see the point of mapping the cross-channel ferries other than to 'see' where the ferries go to. I wouldn't use Waze to, necessarily, choose my crossing point.
mrgrumpy
Experts
Experts

Postby mrgrumpy » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:07 pm

AndyPoms wrote:I think we need to wait to see what they come up with, especially since if they add a road type called "Ferry", this entire conversation is moot.

Yup :mrgreen:
mrgrumpy
Experts
Experts

Postby mrgrumpy » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:41 pm

Yep. What they said.
mrgrumpy
Experts
Experts

Postby nhanway » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:04 pm

Im jumping in here. I am an editior based out of Seattle, WA. We have a lot of ferries in WA especially in Seattle Area. I have been routed on ferries and they work perfectly in Waze.

I agree that we shouldn't spend a lot of time working on a ferry wiki until Waze adds Ferry road type.

But I think it would be helpful to give some guildline on when to and not to map ferries. And if ferries should be mapped how should you map them.

Here is what I have learned to work well in Washington State and learned from this forum:
Ferries should be mapped if:
*You can drive on and drive off. (Passenger Ferries not mapped unless significant GPS trace's causing UR's, then mapped as Private Rd.)
*You can buy tickets whenever (pre booking ferries should not be mapped(or set to private))
*Ferry is accessible to the general public(no private ferries)

*You need to be able to edit AT LEAST both ports. The entire area is preferable.
*Turn on GPS points. It seems like people like to leave Waze on in the ferry. Draw a road on the ACTUAL path the car would take. Draw the road using the GPS points to align with the usual path of the ferry in the water.
*Have the road right up to the part of the dock where it would load.
*Road type should match whats on either side, don't use Private, Freeway or Parking lot road type. If the Ferry is part of the highway system it should be mapped as Major/ Minor Highway
*Draw an entrance segment, make this one way road a "Toll Road" unless the ferry is free. Then make exit road that is not tolled. Don't make the whole ferry segment a toll.

And I haven't seen the following used be for but I guess they would work.
*Don't forget to use time restrictions.
*The first ferry of the day is when it should open.
*The last ferry of the day is when it should close.
Washington State Manager

nhanway
State Manager
State Manager

Postby nhanway » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:02 pm

I have made my edits to talk page. let me know what you think and/or make changes to the page.

Thanks
Last edited by nhanway on Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Washington State Manager

nhanway
State Manager
State Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion