Detour detection mechanism in the wiki

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Detour detection mechanism in the wiki

Postby kentsmith9 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:25 am

CBenson wrote:Seems to me that it would be appropriate to note this on the detours page in a "Notes" or "Side-effects" section. I've added this to the detour page, but consider it a draft that can be freely edited. Is there any reason not to put this on the detour page?

I like it.

Clarification question:
New Addition to Detour Page wrote:Thus in the intersection below, the configuration on the left will be used to route a U-turn, but the configuration on the right will not.

I propose (if accurate):
Modified New Addition to Detour Page wrote:Thus in the intersection below, the configuration on the left will be used to route a U-turn because it uses a single segment between the two parallel roadways with the same name. In contrast, the configuration on the right will not use the U-Turn road because it branches from another segment causing multiple segments between the two parallel roads with the same name.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:28 am

Criteria in Wiki wrote:
Waze routing will not present routes over a detour off a highway/freeway and back on that same highway/freeway when each of the following conditions are met:

1. the last segment on the highway/freeway before the detour has the same street name and same city name as the next highway/freeway segment after the detour (the segments are considered to have the same name if either the primary name or alternate names are the same, unnamed segments are not considered as having the same name),
2. the detour is more than one segment long, and
3. the detour is under the threshold length as defined below.

To be more clear I think it should say:
Criteria in Wiki wrote:
Waze routing will not present routes over a detour off a highway/freeway and back on that same highway/freeway when all of the following conditions are met:
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Detour detection mechanism in the wiki

Postby sketch » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:29 am

Absolutely. <- in reply to the immediately previous post

To Kent's proposed change to the U turn text: it looks good. It provides some explanation the original text didn't. Might be able to be explained more simply, but I'd need to sit down at my computer to do so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
new orleans based • detroit enthusiast • usa country manager
2013 ford focus titanium hatchback 5mt • performance blue
Image Image
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CBenson » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:40 am

The proposals look good to me.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.3.0.1
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CBenson » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:31 pm

In response to the routing discussed here waze has confirmed that the big detour prevention mechanism is merely a high penalty that may not be effective to prevent routing when the traffic on the highway is very slow. I thus propose to change
Waze routing will not present routes over a detour off a highway/freeway and back on that same highway/freeway when all of the following conditions are met:

to read
Waze routing will heavily penalize routes over a detour off a highway/freeway and back on that same highway/freeway when all of the following conditions are met:

We could also add a note that the detour prevention mechanism may not be effective in extremely slow traffic.
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:06 am

CBenson wrote:
Waze routing will heavily penalize routes over a detour off a highway/freeway and back on that same highway/freeway when all of the following conditions are met:

I am good with that. I would also propose that we Wikilink "penalize" with the routing penalty discussion page to be clear what that means.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CBenson » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:48 am

Where is the routing penalty discussion page?
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:31 pm

CBenson wrote:Where is the routing penalty discussion page?

I see we only sprinkled the concept of the routing penalty system in How Waze calculates routes, so we should add a section toward the top of the page to discuss that.

Then we can Wikilink that new section into the penalty notations in:
http://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Junction_Style_Guide
http://wiki.waze.com/wiki/How_Waze_determines_turn_/_keep_/_exit_maneuvers
http://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Best_map_editing_practice
http://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Keyboard_shortcuts
http://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Road_Types_%28USA%29

to name a few. :mrgreen:
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CBenson » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:09 pm

What should a Routing Penalty section say?

I would suggest something along the lines of:
==Routing Penalties==

Waze routing is intended to work were the Waze map has been carefully corrected by a corp of dedicated editors and where the map is imported without editor correction. For this reason, Waze routing is penalty based. That is, the various segment properties and junction node properties that restrict routes are applied as a routing penalty. For example, a turn restriction indicated by the red turn restriction arrow does not prohibit the turn, rather the turn restriction applies a high penalty to any route through the turn. This penalty based routing system permits routing to a point on street where all turns onto the street are set as restricted. Thus, providing for some routing in areas that have not been edited carefully.

The following segment properties cause routing penalties:
  • Turn restrictions (and time based turn restrictions during the designated time for the designated vehicle type)
  • One-way roads against the designated direction of travel (and time based segment restrictions for the designated time for the designated vehicle type)
  • Non-drivable road types (Walking Trail, Pedestrian Boardwalk, Stairway, Railroad and Runway/Taxiway
  • Toll roads for clients with avoid toll roads selected
  • Dirt road/4x4 Trail for clients with avoid dirt roads selected
  • Parking lot roads and private roads when transitioning to another road type

Other routing penalties are based on road configurations. For example, Waze will penalize a route with two left turns in less than 15 meters in right hand drive jurisdictions or with two right turns in 15 meters in left hand drive jurisdictions. Waze also penalizes some routes that leave a highway or freeway only to immediately return to the same freeway or highway.

If a segment should never be used for routing, it should not be connected to the road network. For example, Waze may route over railroad, walking trail or stairway segments connected to the road network if conditions are such that the penalized route is still found to be the best route. This is common where there are no alternative routes, such as when Waze finds that the origin or destination is on the penalized segment.
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:11 am

I can see a few tweaks I will recommend as we get closer, but I like the general idea. We should also insert visuals to help some of the points and we can do that.

Do we know more specifically about the one-way bridge routing problems we have seen in the past? Did they create a routing penalty level for bridges that is infinity and therefore "impossible" to ever get routed? In other words it would rather say "no route found" than route down a one-way bridge?
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion