Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Ferry Mapping page

Post by kentsmith9
We have had a blank page for Ferries ever since I joined. Recently user Panther37 proposed a number of steps outlined on this talk page.

I have not spent any time on mapping ferries, so I did not want to pass judgment on these steps. I had previously thought that with time restrictions we could solve ferries with just that feature setting for both segment directions. Separately set toll if present.

I had not considered the other points Panther37 proposed, but many of them make sense. However the parking lot road seems to be a problem and unnecessary since the routing engine will shortly determine the average speed through that area and set the appropriate routing.

If we want to have this info on a separate page, that is fine and if we want to include it anywhere else, we can transclude it as desired.
Panther37 wrote:Here is how I have made ferries:
1. You need to be able to edit AT LEAST both ports. The entire area is preferable.
2. Turn on GPS points. It seems like people like to leave Waze on in the ferry.
3. Draw a road on the ACTUAL path the car would take.
3.1. Have the road right up to the part of the dock where it would load.
3.2. Draw the road using the GPS points to align with the usual path of the ferry in the water.
4. Road type should be "Parking Lot Road" because, ferries are slow. If there is a "High-Speed" ferry, upgrade the road.
5. Make sure the road is a "Toll Road" unless the ferry is free.
6. Don't forget to use time restrictions.
6.1. The first ferry of the day is when it should open.
6.2. The last ferry of the day is when it should close.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

POSTER_ID:7009939

Send a message

Post by jemay
The actual ferry crossings (over the water).
jemay
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
:arrow: PLEASE READ: Wiki Resources: FAQ|Best Practices|Editing issues?
Global Champ | Assistant Regional Coordinator for US South West - CA,NV,UT,AZ,NM,CO,HI | CM for US

Android & Carplay - Verizon

Post by jemay
Sorry.... Minor Highway .....
jemay
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Global Champ | Assistant Regional Coordinator for US South West - CA,NV,UT,AZ,NM,CO,HI | CM for US

Post by jemay
I have converted one and after a few tile updates, the route is an option but not a primary any more (via livemap).

So if we can make sure that the right classification weight is given, i don't think we should go all out.
jemay
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by Kayos_On_The_Road
I thought I made a post on this earlier this week, but apparently not...

Anyway, it seems we are on the verge (present experience excluded obviously) of a functional ferry segment type. I believe this means that we will need to update the ferry wiki page. The following changes should be made:

Time restrictions should be moved from the ferry route to the last boarding land based segment. For ramps that service more than one route, a TBTR can be used.
The toll attribute should be set on the toll both segment and should only be in the direction of the toll.

There may be other changes needed, but those are the two main ones I can think of at the moment.

EDIT: Found it: viewtopic.php?f=1636&t=206177
Kayos_On_The_Road
Send a message
Samsung Galaxy S7 (7.0 stock), waze version always latest beta.
GC, CM - Vancouver, BC
Waze Beta Leader (Android)
Canada Wazeopedia
https://s.waze.tools/c6.pnghttps://wiki.waze.com/wiki/images/c/c1/ ... Tester.png

Sorry, you're right in that I posted in the US wiki discussion page, but other than this thread, is there a more appropriate location to discuss the suggested changes. Based on the discussions with staff regarding ferries, I believe the changes are globally applicable.
Kayos_On_The_Road
Send a message
GC, CM - Vancouver, BC
Canada Wazeopedia
https://s.waze.tools/c6.pnghttps://wiki.waze.com/wiki/images/c/c1/ ... Tester.png

I've found a USA ferries page which covers the mapping suggestions we were provided by staff. Can I suggest a simple link on the global ferries page to direct people to the USA page? The page can be found here: https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Ferries/USA thanks to Nzahn1 for it's production.
Kayos_On_The_Road
Send a message
GC, CM - Vancouver, BC
Canada Wazeopedia

Post by KB_Steveo
If there are no other options besides using a ferry, is it necessary to add a schedule/restrictions? Won't Waze route you through a restriction if there are no other options anyway?

The Washington Island Ferry in WI has a schedule that changes 12 times a year, with half of the date ranges requiring 3 different options based on the day of the week. One has to make a spreadsheet of the schedule just to enter it in properly, due to the way it is displayed in the printable version.

I don't see the benefit of setting the restrictions in this case. Either the ferry is running, or it isn't - if you can't figure out that a ferry in a vacation destination area isn't running at 3AM, that's on you. :)
KB_Steveo
Send a message
images/ranks/BetaTester_Badge.png[img]https:///nRpy81[/img]
WI State Manager
NE Wisconsin Area Manager (Green Bay / Appleton / Sturgeon Bay)
Wisconsin mapping resources curator

Post by KB_Steveo
sketch wrote:
KB_Steveo wrote:If there are no other options besides using a ferry, is it necessary to add a schedule/restrictions? Won't Waze route you through a restriction if there are no other options anyway?
No.
OK. I just didn't know if there were any known bugs that Waze would still route you that way (ex. Waze will/would route you through closures if you have your client set to "shortest route"). My main deal was that I wouldn't want to put in the effort if Waze is going to disregard my work.
sketch wrote:
KB_Steveo wrote:I don't see the benefit of setting the restrictions in this case. Either the ferry is running, or it isn't - if you can't figure out that a ferry in a vacation destination area isn't running at 3AM, that's on you. :)
We should do our best. Ferry timetables are not common knowledge and not always readily ascertainable. Why stop at mediocrity? Do we not want Waze to be the best? Is it not better that it says "Route not possible" when you can't leave the island?
They have timetables when you buy your tickets to go to the island :twisted: But I digress - vacationers in Door County definitely turn off their brains when they're there... I'll put the timetables on my list of things to do :D
KB_Steveo
Send a message
images/ranks/BetaTester_Badge.png[img]https:///nRpy81[/img]
WI State Manager
NE Wisconsin Area Manager (Green Bay / Appleton / Sturgeon Bay)
Wisconsin mapping resources curator

Post by kentsmith9
AndyPoms wrote:Waze has stated that they are working on ways to support Ferry (Fairy) properly. I suggest waiting to write this page until their system comes out.

Also, I've seen serious problems when a Ferry is mapped here in CT - which is why none of ours are mapped at this time.

There are GPS traces that run across Long Island Sound and they get REALLY wide in the middle (just about 5000 meters wide = ~3 miles). I don't think Waze will snap users to that.
I think we need some plan for these routes. Other countries are supporting them now and I get the impression they are working at some level.

Sounds like you saw problems. Can you give a quick summary of the issues for those who may not have seen the threads, or point to the main forum entry that discussed the problems you saw?

Why does not snapping to the route suggest we don't draw it in? I would think having something spanning the water to enable Waze to route across is better than it always suggesting go around or no route possible.

CBenson wrote:I agree that the suggestions, except the suggestion to use parking lot road type make sense.
I also agree the parking lot road type is a problem, but I am not sure it matters what we use from the standard list of routing roads. Seems it should match the road types on either side, but calling it a freeway does not meet the current definitions.
Timbones wrote:Need to add some guidelines about when to map a ferry. Our general rule-of-thumb is to only map ferry crossing where you a) can buy a ticket on arrival, rather than pre-booking, and b) you stay in your vehicle during the crossing. None of the major Channel crossings meet either of these criteria, and so should not be mapped. The GPS tends to vary wildly too, making Waze pretty useless.
I don't understand b) staying in your vehicle. Why does that matter?
I don't use ferries so I don't understand the multiple comments around the GPS varying and how that matters if the start and end are hard known points along the short to link the road between.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message