Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Improve Wiki Searches - List what you could not find

Post by kentsmith9
I propose that we use this thread to have anyone enter the things that they could not find in the Wiki. This can be individual terms, phrases, or sentences; essentially anything that first came to mind when searching the Wiki, but did not see the results desired.

From that list we can determine if that subject is already covered in the wiki, but it just needs a better link to the term, phrase, or sentence used. I have been doing this already on items I find discussed in the forums, but many times I don't know what other ways people think about searching for topics.

The way we solve this in the Wiki is by using the #REDIRECT command to link that search term with a particular Wiki page or section. For each topic added we can reply to that entry when it is complete or note if it requires a new section first.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

POSTER_ID:7009939

Send a message

Post by Fredo-p
bummerdude69 wrote:tts and text to speech
TTS brings you to the Glossary
https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/TTS#TTS

Which is located here. However, Text to Speech does not show up a proper search result.
Fredo-p
Send a message

Arizona Wiki | @Waze_Arizona Twitter
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S8+

Post by Fredo-p
PesachZ wrote:@ Fredo
Feel free to add a [[Text to speech]] page to redirect the glossary entry. :)

If you need help let me know

Sent using Tapatalk for Android
Done. I was going to but wanted to ask first, then I forgot all together. LOL
Fredo-p
Send a message

Post by Fredo-p
bummerdude69 wrote:Looking for Port of Entry (border patrol/ inspection station) and if/ how to map them.
https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... st=4839675
That looks like it would be a US specific request. I'm sure there will be a global border check point as well.
Fredo-p
Send a message

Post by HandofMadness
"Service Road" and "Service Roads" should pull up the USA Road Types page on the first page of results. I got UK and Italian pages that discuss road types, but not the USA page.
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
I have seen a few complaints in various threads that the Wiki search is not very good and I completely agree. That was the reason I started this thread, but it never got much traction. I thought I would do a little education for the bolder editor Wiki editors who come across a topic that they cannot immediately find in the Wiki.

Since we cannot directly affect the search ability in the Wiki, we can create #REDIRECTs that I mentioned above. Creating one is very easy.

Creating a Wiki Redirect Page

1. Use the search box of the Wiki to find the topic of interest.

2. If you do not get the page (article) for your topic, but instead get a list of possible matches, continue with these steps.

3. Note the term or phrase you entered into the search box.

4. Continue searching using other terms or phrases. If they also do not turn up what you want, take note of them as well.

5. When you finally do find the page (article) you want, copy the portion of the URL for that page after the "waze.com/wiki/index.php/". It might be something like "Your_Rank_and_Points".

6. Go back to the search box and enter one of the phrases that you believe should have brought up that page.

7. Just under search results you will see a red highlighted link with your term or phrase just entered. Click that link to start creating the page.

8. If you are not logged into the Wiki (it is separate from the Waze forums), you will see the "login" link at the very top of the page. Press it now to login. Use your same Waze account login. Once logged in you will be brought back to the create page.

9. In the big blank box enter the following:

Code: Select all

#REDIRECT [[Your_Rank_and_Points]]
The phrase "Your_Rank_and_Points" should be replaced by your term or phrase that you finally found answered your question. The underscore characters are not required and can be replaced by spaces as well.

10. Scroll down the page to see the Summary box where you enter a basic description of the change to the page. In this case you can just say "Created redirect". Press the "Save page" button.

11. If you created the page properly, the link should be clickable on that page. You can also test it by entering your term or phrase in the search box. It should take you directly to the redirected page and show at the top of that page "(Redirected from YOUR-TERM-HERE)"

12. Continue creating additional redirect pages using the other terms you used while trying to find this correct page (article).
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
sk2380 wrote:Where can I find codes for the Waze app. Like this one ##@asr enables/disables Turns on or off the voice activated commands feature (Automatic Speech Recognition) if present in your phone.
Are there any secret codes?
Did you try typing "codes" ? ;)
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
orbitc wrote:Is there a way to limit to search just to the language I'm searching?
For example, I wanted to help an editor and give a particular wiki page that explains "end nodes"
Well, I didn't get exactly what I wanted but I got all the other languages as well.
No to your first question, but you can get to (or create a direct link to) a specific page if you need. So to answer this better, can you tell me what link in the Wiki you sent the user, or did you just say "search for *end nodes*?"
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
Separately I started a new thread on Junctions, Segments, and Nodes to ensure we have the proper definitions in the glossary. But in this thread we can continue the search discussion.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
orbitc wrote:I gave this link: http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Junction_Style_Guide
It did cover (little) end node and deleting an extra node.
I am a little confused from your initial post now. The JSG link is a good example of how to link to the Wiki to a specific page. Are you trying to link to a particular section of that document?

Or were you trying to find something specific on "end nodes" and could not find it yourself so you used that JSG as a substitute?

Did you have "end node" as your search and that turned up lots of seemingly unrelated pages in other languages?
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message