Waze is ignoring event closures  Topic is solved

The Waze Community is working together to fight chaotic traffic events worldwide

Moderators: Unholy, orit_y

Re: Waze is ignoring event closures

Postby deeggo » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:21 pm

I don't quite understand what's making you get a route around the closure. Is it by approaching it enough, or by simply driving? Or difference livemap / client?
Global Champ. Country manager Nederland & België
NL: Wiki: hoe label ik een (snel)weg correct?
HTC One M8 | Follow me on Twitter
Join Dropbox, free online file sync! Register through this link and give you and me 250MB extra for free. Thanks!
deeggo
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby sketch » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:52 pm

I'm not sure if it's approaching or just driving that triggers it. I haven't been out driving particularly to test, I've needed to go places where the normal route would take me through the closure, so I've always been driving towards it.

The Livemap is working inconsistently. It always seems to respect closures if I enter my origin and destination using addresses. If I set origin and destination pins manually, it respects closures sometimes and ignores them other times — when I started testing, it seemed to ignore them, and now it seems to respect them. Try it yourself: https://www.waze.com/livemap?zoom=15&la ... n=-90.0751

A separate problem, it looks like either Waze staff or the Waze process has missed a few of the cross streets, like the ones here on First and Josephine.
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
new orleans based • detroit enthusiast • usa country manager
2013 ford focus titanium hatchback 5mt • performance blue
Image Image
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Re: Waze is ignoring event closures  Topic is solved

Postby redviper26 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:09 pm

Hey guys,

Closures work on a segment basis. If a segment is blocked, you can still cross it if there's an intersection. The closure is only for the segment, not the node. If you want to close an intersection, you need to close all segments going through it.

That's the basics. Did you encounter anything that does not work as it should? From what i've read here that is not the case, am I missing something?

Noam
redviper26
Waze Team
Waze Team

Postby deeggo » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:21 pm

Noam, then the presentation should be changed to reflect this.
Global Champ. Country manager Nederland & België
NL: Wiki: hoe label ik een (snel)weg correct?
HTC One M8 | Follow me on Twitter
Join Dropbox, free online file sync! Register through this link and give you and me 250MB extra for free. Thanks!
deeggo
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby sketch » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:22 pm

redviper26 wrote:Hey guys,

Closures work on a segment basis. If a segment is blocked, you can still cross it if there's an intersection. The closure is only for the segment, not the node. If you want to close an intersection, you need to close all segments going through it.

That's the basics. Did you encounter anything that does not work as it should? From what i've read here that is not the case, am I missing something?

Noam

As deeggo said, the presentation sent to me when my event was approved says that crossing the route is also prohibited. Specifically:

"The system will block all the selected segments, taking into account that crossing the course of the event is forbidden, we will also block those junction’s segments"

So yes, a segment closure only closes that segment; but, according to the presentation, cross-segments will also be closed by staff. If that's not the case, let me know, and change the presentation; I will include the cross-segment IDs in the list next year.
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
new orleans based • detroit enthusiast • usa country manager
2013 ford focus titanium hatchback 5mt • performance blue
Image Image
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby tonestertm » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:32 pm

Great. So for the LA Marathon I just set up, I now have to go back and close 26 miles worth of cross-streets, too? Granted, I already have some of them in there due to closures which were specifically called out by the marathon organizers, but I'm easily looking at another hundred or so cross streets.
US Local Champ, US Country Manager
The best editors Read the Wiki and read it often. Learn the proper way to handle URs. Don't draw another Place until you read this!
tonestertm
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby petervdveen » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:25 pm

tonestertm wrote:Great. So for the LA Marathon I just set up, I now have to go back and close 26 miles worth of cross-streets, too? Granted, I already have some of them in there due to closures which were specifically called out by the marathon organizers, but I'm easily looking at another hundred or so cross streets.

I don't think that should take you more then half an hour :-)
petervdveen
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby redviper26 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:49 am

Hey guys,

We changed the presentation accordingly. Let us know if there are any more issues.

Thanks,

Noam
redviper26
Waze Team
Waze Team

Postby tonestertm » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:07 pm

Clarification:

Here's what Gal told me (tonight) in partial response to some queries I made about the spreadsheet.

As Noam says, the crossings do not close automatically.
Once we enter the information and submit it, the information is transferred to a second sheet, the times are converted to UTC, and the cross-street closures are added by hand as needed. The second sheet's information is then used to set the map closures, including crossings, while the information we submit on the first sheet is used to inform the event web page.
US Local Champ, US Country Manager
The best editors Read the Wiki and read it often. Learn the proper way to handle URs. Don't draw another Place until you read this!
tonestertm
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby LeighGr » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:56 am

For the Cape Argus, I'm not seeing a single closure on the client nor livemap, and both are quite happy routing me over roads that have been closed since midnight (6 hours ago).

I'm not venturing out there as it's absolute chaos at the start, though I've messaged a few Wazers I do see out there making their way to the start, asking if if they see any road closures.

I'm also not happy with the fact that crossing aren't handled as originally advertised. I'll just have to get it right next year, when hopefully I'm one of the 40,000 nuts out there.
Leigh Greyling
Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Android 5.0.0, Waze 4.3.0.0
LC: South Africa
CM: South Africa & Namibia
South African Links:: ZA Wiki - ZA Forums
LeighGr
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

PreviousNext

Return to World's Mega Traffic Events